Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilch View Post
    What the hell a 'college' is then, it seems they neither teach tech skills nor anything to make you employement-worthy?
    Sorry writing this drunk, but honetly want answers...
    Americans can correct me if I'm wrong but vocational edu ation is mostly done through community college. Most courses there are 2 yrs duration.

Not all college leads to no job? Doctors lawyers nurses teachers accountants etc etc all go to college too. Though it seems a lot of that is done at postgraduate level these days

Quote Originally Posted by fluttershypony View Post
    So now you pay taxes to fund shaniqua latishas 7 year black history masters degree as well as erik m cucko's phd in feminism and genderfluidity for 15 years.

Oh well, still beats refugee hotels.
    It's really remarkable how many panties get bunched over less than half of one percent of degrees awarded.

OT: This is a great step forward. Education leads to innovation. If we don't do something about the cost of attending universities, other countries that have addressed it are going to beat us in innovation. Being at the forefront of innovation has been one of the biggest reasons for America's long-term prosperity, and we are losing that edge.

What the hell a 'college' is then, it seems they neither teach tech skills nor anything to make you employement-worthy?
    College is school that cost an arm and a leg to enter and is needed to get a job that's not flipping burgers ( maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Well yeah, look at the raping of public education funds in states with charter schools, and also for states that didn't expand medicaid for their state exchanges.
    Yeah exactly because conservative voters are like "fuck education, I dont need an education. University of Tennessee is just for those uppity liberals" and "Who needs to see a doctor, if I break a leg I will just set it myself" sigh

10+ Year Old Account
    College and university are mostly synonymous in the USA.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by alahard View Post
    College is school that cost an arm and a leg to enter and is needed to get a job that's not flipping burgers ( maybe)
    And isnt really required for most jobs, but employers put it on there to get good candidates. But if everyone has a degree, what is the real worth of the degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I guess they should just wait for the money to magically trickle down from the top then?
    Here's a thought. How about the fucking work for it like me and million of other Americans have? Holy shit the nerve of people thinking someone else owes them something.

I assume we'll use our legions of college graduates to build a robot army and start taking this Empire State thing seriously and start conquering the flyovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    Here's a thought. How about the fucking work for it like me and million of other Americans have? Holy shit the nerve of people thinking someone else owes them something.
    I hope you aren't using public roads and have built your own to use.

As someone that works in the higher ed world in the US, let me clarify the differences between community college, college, and university. Caveat: There are no hard bright lines that separate the three.

Community/junior college are mostly two-year institutions offering upwards of an associate degree, and vocational/career tech programs. Students usually use community colleges as a stepping stone to a four-year institution or learn enough skills/education for a vocational career.

College is a four-year institution that offers mostly bachelor's degrees. Some offer associates, some offer master's. This includes credentials like teaching, etc.

University is a four-year institution that offers degrees through a PhD and even post-doc.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alahard View Post
    Schools do this already. They expel students giving their institutions a bad name. Very quick. No need for the government to waste their time on that.
    Expensive private schools aren't included in the free tuition plan. Community colleges are more tolerant of low GPAs
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    And isnt really required for most jobs, but employers put it on there to get good candidates. But if everyone has a degree, what is the real worth of the degree.
    Too late, it's worthless as it is. The real worth is an intership

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    Expensive private schools aren't included in the free tuition plan. Community colleges are more tolerant of low GPAs
    Still need a certain GPA to get a degree. And if they can't meet the deal (which requires graduation), then time to pay up

I hope you aren't using public roads and have built your own to use.
    Completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    Completely different.
    Not at all. They're both there for the benefit of society.

You should be in support of privatized roads where you have to pay a toll every time you use it otherwise you are inconsistent with your views.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I assume we'll use our legions of college graduates to build a robot army and start taking this Empire State thing seriously and start conquering the flyovers.
    Yeah, I'd pay money to see those liberal arts and feminism studies degrees doing engineering work. or, god forbid, heavy lifting that's involved in building anything. Or really anything that doesn't involve a cash register or begging for tips.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    New York Passes Free College Tuition Bill
    I'm sure it will be worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    Yeah, I'd pay money to see those liberal arts and feminism studies degrees doing engineering work. or, god forbid, heavy lifting that's involved in building anything. Or really anything that doesn't involve a cash register or begging for tips.
    Why do people continually act like those majors are anywhere near a significant portion of graduates? Is it just for masturbation purposes or something?

Also, Liberal Arts isn't a degree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people continually act like those majors are anywhere near a significant portion of graduates? Is it just for masturbation purposes or something?
    To justify (further) funding cuts to higher education institutions and republican usurpation of authority over same.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account

Also, Liberal Arts isn't a degree.
    because its the only way to justify their argument... by making shit up. I'd rather read something with some more substance because there are actual discussions to be had, but to them, it just lacks that sense of superiority they need in their sad lives.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2017-04-13 at 03:43 AM.

I wish we'd stop calling it free college. We all know it's not free, and it would cut down on all the "HURRRRR NOTHING IS FREE LIBTARDSZ" (at least I can dream it would).

I think the "Free" title triggers a lot of people on the right, as well as just doing the concept an injustice.

That said, GJ NY. This is a good thing.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8