Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    Republicans also tend to hold their own accountable as well though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Thanks, needed a laugh.
    But I said I'm Sorry Jeebus and everything was cool. K?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    You might think about why that is - one side preaches that you can't do x or have y legalized because family values. one does not. is it really surprising that the former would be held to a higher standard, and be taken as a joke when they can't practice the drum they bang on?
    Bah, shit day, I got nothing.
    *insert bang her like a drum joke*
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have any examples of Republicans in sexual scandals in which they continued their political career unharmed?

How about a few from the Democrat side? Gerry Stud, Barney Frank, and Bill Clinton. It's almost a resume enhancement for a Democrat to be involved in a sexual scandal.
    Off the top of my head, Newt Gingrich still preaches sanctity of marriage when he's on his third and had affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Off the top of my head, Newt Gingrich still preaches sanctity of marriage when he's on his third and had affairs.
    He was forced out of the House Speakership for his indiscretions and resigned from his House seat shortly afterwards. And he has been out of politics for almost 20 years now.

10+ Year Old Account
    He was forced out of the House Speakership for his indiscretions and resigned from his House seat shortly afterwards. And he has been out of politics for almost 20 years now.
    2012 isn't that far back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    I assume you are referring to his failed attempt in the Republican primary. Losing elections is pretty much the definition of being out of politics. Otherwise it's like Charles Barkley still being an NBA player because he plays in an old timers game.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Umm, he was involved in Trump's campaign, and people were talking about the possibility of him being the VP pick before Pence was chosen. He's not in an elected position anymore, but he's far from being out of politics.

Do you have any examples of Republicans in sexual scandals in which they continued their political career unharmed?
    Mark Sanford
    David Vitter
    Scott DesJarlais

That's not difficult.

Ooh, wait, another one. Donald Trump!
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Umm, he was involved in Trump's campaign, and people were talking about the possibility of him being the VP pick before Pence was chosen. He's not in an elected position anymore, but he's far from being out of politics.
    People were talking about Hillary going to jail too. People say all kinds of things. He did work as a consultant for the Trump campaign but considering he wasn't a policy maker, he's not so much into politics as he is into policy theory which is pretty much his strong point.

I'll give you credit for that one anyway as it's close enough I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    Mark Sanford
    David Vitter
    Scott DesJarlais

That's not difficult.

Ooh, wait, another one. Donald Trump!
    Mark Sanford had two impeachment resolutions blocked by Democrats, but was still eventually impeached but not removed from office due to a lack of votes.
    David Vitter's prostitution scandal caught up with him during his gubernatorial attempt ending his political career.
    Scott DesJarials I actually had to lookup because I had never heard of him. While his actions were deplorable, I'd have to say that a lack of media attention on it probabl played into it having little afffect on him.

The point being is that Republicans tend to police themselves better than Democrats. Trent Lott resigns because of a harmless remark made at a colleague's 1000th birthday while Gerry Stud has sexual relations with an underage congressional page and continues in his office for another six terms.

Donald Trump has been central in a couple of scandals but #1 He's not really a politician, #2 He's not really a Republican, #3 He is not really one that is running on family values.

Fair enough. I saw that with your second post that I had not gotten to at the time.

- - - Updated - - -

How about a few from the Democrat side? Gerry Stud, Barney Frank, and Bill Clinton. It's almost a resume enhancement for a Democrat to be involved in a sexual scandal.
    Donald trump. Now, your move
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Donald trump. Now, your move
    I'll quote myself from just above your post

Donald Trump has been central in a couple of scandals but #1 He's not really a politician, #2 He's not really a Republican, #3 He is not really one that is running on family values.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you can call a sitting Republican president of the USA 'not a politician' and 'not a Republican'. Being elected to the top political position in the country makes him, by definition, a politician (even if he wasn't before) and doing so under the Republican banner makes him a Republican (even if he wasn't before). If Republicans didn't want him to define their party, they wouldn't have elected him president. He may not embody classic Republican beliefs, but that just says that the party has changed since then. Isn't the first time, won't be the last.

I'll quote myself from just above your post
    Donald trump is a politician (being a president is a political seat, and he began his career in 2011, before his scandals went up) he is a republican (even if he's a RINO, he went as a president with them supporting him) and even if he's not for tje family values, the party strongly is, and the base also is.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Donald trump is a politician (being a president is a political seat, and he began his career in 2011, before his scandals went up) he is a republican (even if he's a RINO, he went as a president with them supporting him) and even if he's not for tje family values, the party strongly is, and the base also is.
    Making noise about running for President does not a political career begin. By that definition his "politcal" career began back around 2000.
    He was elected to bring change and/or to prevent Hillary from becoming President. Neither of which does any previous scandals have any affect upon. The actual party Republicans did everything they could to prevent him from becoming the candidate.

Mark Sanford had two impeachment resolutions blocked by Democrats, but was still eventually impeached but not removed from office due to a lack of votes.
    Your weirdly selective reading of his Wikipedia page notwithstanding, after the "self-policing" Republicans couldn't find enough votes to remove Sanford from office, he served out his term as governor and was then re-elected as a Republican member of the House for South Carolina district 1, where he still serves today. This, in spite of his whole "Appalachian Trail" excuse still being a punchline today.

David Vitter's prostitution scandal caught up with him during his gubernatorial attempt ending his political career.
    WTF? That's completely untrue. Vitter's diaper / prostitution scandals first broke in the early 2000s, but Lousiana Republicans went ahead and elected him US Senator in 2004. Then, after his name appeared on the famous DC Madam's list in 2007 and he made the famous press conference with his wife, Louisiana re-elected him to the Senate in 2010. His failed governor candidacy wasn't until 2015.

Scott DesJarials I actually had to lookup because I had never heard of him. While his actions were deplorable, I'd have to say that a lack of media attention on it probabl played into it having little afffect on him.
    So Republicans only police their own sex scandals if they get enough media attention? OK. Regardless, he's still serving in Congress. That's strike three.

The point being is that Republicans tend to police themselves better than Democrats.
    Your point is completely disproven, actually.

"A couple of scandals" (lol). Also, Trump has been flirting / threatening to run for office for decades, he's the head of the Republican party, and who gives a shit if he himself runs on family values. Your claim that Republicans would police their own is ridiculous. Just ask Jason "I could never look my daughter in the eye" Chaffetz how long it took for him to disregard all of Trump's many sexual scandals and throw his weight behind Trump.

The fact that Republicans talk a sanctimonious game and fail to follow through when it counts is exactly why their sex scandals get so much attention.

- - - Updated - - -

He was elected to bring change and/or to prevent Hillary from becoming President. Neither of which does any previous scandals have any affect upon.
    What difference does the affect (sic) of the scandals bring to your point? They didn't affect any of the Democrats, either. Your claim was that "Republicans tend to hold their own accountable". They didn't.
    The actual party Republicans did everything they could to prevent him from becoming the candidate.
    And then threw themselves at his feet once he did become the candidate. Which they didn't have to. But they did, because they don't hold their own accountable for sex scandals.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    Your weirdly selective reading of his Wikipedia page notwithstanding, after the "self-policing" Republicans couldn't find enough votes to remove Sanford from office, he served out his term as governor and was then re-elected as a Republican member of the House for South Carolina district 1, where he still serves today. This, in spite of his whole "Appalachian Trail" excuse still being a punchline today.

WTF? That's completely untrue. Vitter's diaper / prostitution scandals first broke in the early 2000s, but Lousiana Republicans went ahead and elected him US Senator in 2004. Then, after his name appeared on the famous DC Madam's list in 2007 and he made the famous press conference with his wife, Louisiana re-elected him to the Senate in 2010. His failed governor candidacy wasn't until 2015.

So Republicans only police their own sex scandals if they get enough media attention? OK. Regardless, he's still serving in Congress. That's strike three.

Your point is completely disproven, actually.

"A couple of scandals" (lol). Also, Trump has been flirting / threatening to run for office for decades, he's the head of the Republican party, and who gives a shit if he himself runs on family values. Your claim that Republicans would police their own is ridiculous. Just ask Jason "I could never look my daughter in the eye" Chaffetz how long it took for him to disregard all of Trump's many sexual scandals and throw his weight behind Trump.

The fact that Republicans talk a sanctimonious game and fail to follow through when it counts is exactly why their sex scandals get so much attention.

- - - Updated - - -

What difference does the affect (sic) of the scandals bring to your point? They didn't affect any of the Democrats, either. Your claim was that "Republicans tend to hold their own accountable". They didn't.

And then threw themselves at his feet once he did become the candidate. Which they didn't have to. But they did, because they don't hold their own accountable for sex scandals.
    You're missing a big point. It's not always the Republicans that hold them accountable, it also the republicans (the actual voters) that do so by not voting them back into office. And yes, they sometimes also don't hold their politicians 100% accountable. We are all human and have failings and sometimes the other candidate is worse. But when it comes to scandals (sexual or otherwise) the Republicans hold themselves to a higher standard than do Democrats.

You're missing a big point. It's not always the Republicans that hold them accountable, it also the republicans (the actual voters) that do so by not voting them back into office. And yes, they sometimes also don't hold their politicians 100% accountable. We are all human and have failings and sometimes the other candidate is worse. But when it comes to scandals (sexual or otherwise) the Republicans hold themselves to a higher standard than do Democrats.
    You make this claim contrary to everything we've already presented in this thread, and I've shown you multiple instances just in the last few years where not only the party but also Republican voters fail to hold their politicians accountable and re-elect them after these scandals.

And Trump is the epitome of this. Republican party members and voters completely threw the moral high ground to the side as soon as they saw that they might be able to ride a thrice-married, cheating, lying, Avatar of Greed to the power of the Presidency.

Your claims are laughable. And the Republican Party will never be able to claim a higher standard again.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Whereas I'd argue that both parties do a pretty shit job of holding themselves accountable unless it's politically advantageous for them to do so. For all the pontificating both sides do about the vile moral and ethical fiber of their opponents, it's rare as hell for it to actually translate into action against one's own side unless there's really no possible way to avoid it. In this case, it wasn't even his affair that got him removed, it was things like using law enforcement to help cover it up that did him in. That's a serious criminal charge if proven, difficult for either party to get past that one.

But I look at things like Toronto mayor Rob Ford up in Canada, where his conservative base supported him through his being caught buying and using cocaine from a drug trafficker and questionable involvement in the murder of the man believed to have leaked the proof to the police. Similar deal, punishment is only for the unpopular.

Fair enough. I saw that with your second post that I had not gotten to at the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Donald "Grab em by the pussy" Trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    While there's clearly improprieties on both sides of the aisle (Anthony Weiner's a pretty obvious example on the (D) side), this gets the press and attention it does for Republicans because they're the ones who adopt party lines involving terms like "sanctity of marriage" and so forth.
    Exactly. It is precisely because Republicans attempt to push and maintain these standards that they get more press when this kind of thing occurs. What you don't generally find, however, is Republicans circling the wagons attempting to keep their own who misbehave in office when these scandals erupt. That tactic is solidly in the Democrat camp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Exactly. It is precisely because Republicans attempt to push and maintain these standards that they get more press when this kind of thing occurs. What you don't generally find, however, is Republicans circling the wagons attempting to keep their own who misbehave in office when these scandals erupt. That tactic is solidly in the Democrat camp.
    You do realize this was pretty thoroughly disproven within this very thread well before you bothered posting, right?