Burger King hijacking Google Home

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/12/tech...ome/index.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39589013

What are your thoughts? Clever advertising or sleazy tactics to hijack your home appliances to sell you shit.

My thoughts are you could've told us more what's going on instead of just giving links to the articles.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    My thoughts are you could've told us more what's going on instead of just giving links to the articles.
    Well i thought the title said it all but if you want more details Burger king has a 15 sec add where it tells your google home to google Burger king on its wikipedia page,

Also Burger king changed its wikipedia page to say shit like Americas fave burger

"Clever use of game mechanics, but nerfed because we don't want everyone to do it."

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderTaco View Post
    "Clever use of game mechanics, but nerfed because we don't want everyone to do it."
    If every company tries this tactic then people would start throwing there Google home right out of the window!

Quote Originally Posted by sdagdhfj View Post
    If every company tries this tactic then people would start throwing there Google home right out of the window!
    That's actually a good reason to get more companies to try this.

(Btw.: My thoughts on your first post: Clickbait inside Clickbait?)

10+ Year Old Account
    This particular practice is scummy, but it seems like this kind of stuff is going to become more common.

Imagine advertising agencies partnering up with car manufacturers. "You can pay $50,000 for this self-driving car OR you can pay $40,000 with our advertising software built in!" And then as you chill in your self-driving car taking a ride down the street you start getting ads for the businesses you are driving past, they might even be tailored for you and your past business at the store... "Bob! We haven't seen you here at McDonald's in weeks! Don't you miss the savory taste of your favorite McNuggets meal!?" "Bob! Your favorite brand of toilet paper is on sale this week at Walmart!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    This particular practice is scummy, but it seems like this kind of stuff is going to become more common.

Imagine advertising agencies partnering up with car manufacturers. "You can pay $50,000 for this self-driving car OR you can pay $40,000 with our advertising software built in!" And then as you chill in your self-driving car taking a ride down the street you start getting ads for the businesses you are driving past, they might even be tailored for you and your past business at the store... "Bob! We haven't seen you here at McDonald's in weeks! Don't you miss the savory taste of your favorite McNuggets meal!?" "Bob! Your favorite brand of toilet paper is on sale this week at Walmart!"
    Noooooooooo this can't be the future!

Good advertising for Burger King, this is all over the news, millions of dollars worth of free advertising.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderTaco View Post
    That sums it up perfectly.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I remember that scene. Just when you think they can't get any more invasive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Give their IT and marketing departments a raise. And then have Google to stamp that nonsense out before it grows.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

"Hijacking" is probably the wrong word.

"Smart" devices.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

7+ Year Old Account
    Reads thread title, pictures burger king employees breaking down the doors at Google and then holding them hostage.

Burger King does need the pr right now, they have been in a decline for awhile now

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    The ad said "ok google, what is a whopper burger" triggering various devices to do a google search.

There was a really funny article on ars about it. I think it is both clever and annoying but some people caught on quick as the google search would start reading things such as the ingredients of the burger of wikipedia. It did not work all the time but it was fodder for some graffiti editing lol.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post

I think it was London that had to outlaw the wireless trash bins in public that were monitoring people.

But since you can't really do anything online in the US anymore without it being subject to sale to the highest bidder, that kinda thing is trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by sdagdhfj View Post
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/12/tech...ome/index.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39589013

What are your thoughts? Clever advertising or sleazy tactics to hijack your home appliances to sell you shit.
    I thought it was very clever. The press they will get from this will far exceed their ad buy. Smart move, +1 to the ad team.