Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Msshammy View Post
    Are you using a dedicated video card or on board video? I don't see it using up 8GB though unless you dedicated that much to it in the bios. Have you tried stick by stick to make sure they're all working right? Wrong dual channel settings in bios can cause some to not show up, but not really in the way you're describing, and you just installed Windows 10.. no other bios settings messed with.. IDK
    Dedicated video card. Like It's not a huge issue me only have 8, but if i have 16 then you know, I'd at least like it to be there. I donno or understand anything about BIOS settings so i probably couldn't tell you if it was set up right or wrong or anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    This means that your PC detects every stick, which is good.
    It also means there's a bug because your BIOS states 8192MB which is 8GB, which is bad.

So what I want you to do is remove all the sticks, blow out the dust from the slots and clean the contacts on the RAM with IsoPropyl Alcohol and a cotton stick.

But before that I'd like you to open Explorer (Windows Key + E) and right click on the name of your PC in the left part.
    Click properties and from the window popping up I'd like a screenshot if you please.
    http://imgur.com/3STvTMi

There's the screenie you asked for. It also says 8GB.

10+ Year Old Account
    are you using 32 or 64 bit windows?
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    64 bit windows.

Would that not limit it to 4GB though? Great thought though.

"Dedicated video card. Like It's not a huge issue me only have 8, but if i have 16 then you know, I'd at least like it to be there. I donno or understand anything about BIOS settings so i probably couldn't tell you if it was set up right or wrong or anything."

If you didn't change any settings then everything should be fine.. Windows won't change bios settings on its own. Typically... lol

32 bit would limit it to 4gb and just in case we are all missing something obvious because I know at one time a version on windows had an artificial ram limit, win 10 home supports 128gb
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merixa View Post
    http://imgur.com/3STvTMi

There's the screenie you asked for. It also says 8GB.
    Hmm.... awkward, generally when it's displayed like that it means it doesn't detect it properly.

So I still want you to remove all sticks, blow out the dust from the slots and clean the gold contacts on the RAM with IsoPropyl Alcohol and re-slot them.
    (order of the RAM in slots is irrelevant, they are the same batch sticks)

Then when that's done go into the BIOS and make me a screenshot with your phone that shows me the RAM size.
    Please try to make it a sharp, non-blurry picture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Msshammy View Post
    Would that not limit it to 4GB though? Great thought though.

"Dedicated video card. Like It's not a huge issue me only have 8, but if i have 16 then you know, I'd at least like it to be there. I donno or understand anything about BIOS settings so i probably couldn't tell you if it was set up right or wrong or anything."

If you didn't change any settings then everything should be fine.. Windows won't change bios settings on its own. Typically... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    32 bit would limit it to 4gb and just in case we are all missing something obvious because I know at one time a version on windows had an artificial ram limit, win 10 home supports 128gb
    ahhh, i had thought 32bit stopped at 8gigs rather than 4.

oh well, just trying to help. and the OP is using 64, so its kinda moot regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

64 bit windows.
    What motherboard do you have and have you checked if there is a BIOS update that maybe fixes a RAM issue?
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Hmm.... awkward, generally when it's displayed like that it means it doesn't detect it properly.

So I still want you to remove all sticks, blow out the dust from the slots and clean the gold contacts on the RAM with IsoPropyl Alcohol and re-slot them.
    (order of the RAM in slots is irrelevant, they are the same batch sticks)

Then when that's done go into the BIOS and make me a screenshot with your phone that shows me the RAM size.
    Please try to make it a sharp, non-blurry picture.
    Ok, here's two screenshots of my BIOS.

http://imgur.com/a/Ie5kz

Just as a note my boyfriend pointed out that in the task manager if you hover over the "2 of 4" slots used it tells you which two it's using. So before I changed the RAM around I checked and it said slot 1 and 3 were empty. So I switch RAM sticks 1 and 3 with 2 and 4 and checked again. It still think slots 1 and 3 are empty on the task manger, even though it's the RAM it was picking up in slot 2 and 4 previously.

I very much appreciate the help by the way. Even if we can't find an answer it's still been very enlightening for me.

Just as a note my boyfriend pointed out that in the task manager if you hover over the "2 of 4" slots used it tells you which two it's using. So before I changed the RAM around I checked and it said slot 1 and 3 were empty. So I switch RAM sticks 1 and 3 with 2 and 4 and checked again. It still think slots 1 and 3 are empty on the task manger, even though it's the RAM it was picking up in slot 2 and 4 previously.

I very much appreciate the help by the way. Even if we can't find an answer it's still been very enlightening for me.
    You are running with a VERY old BIOS version. Try and update your BIOS to version 2203. It fixes Improve system stability

Asus HelpDesk Download/
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    You are running with a VERY old BIOS version. Try and update your BIOS to version 2203. It fixes Improve system stability

Asus HelpDesk Download/
    How would I update the BIOS? I've never done it before and stayed clear cos I heard things can go wrong and break your stuff.

How would I update the BIOS? I've never done it before and stayed clear cos I heard things can go wrong and break your stuff.
    It can. Generally speaking the only reason to flash your BIOS is because you're solving a specific issue that an updated version is known to correct.

15+ Year Old Account

If RAM has been switched from slot 1 and 3 to 2 and 4 it means that slots 1 and 3 are broken.
    This can indicate oxidized pathways of the mobos, firmware error, contact with socket issues or IMC on CPU is FUBAR.

Next step (easiest) would be to check if there is a BIOS update available and update it then reset to default values and re-set everything.
    You do that by going here: Download Page.
    Click Windows 10 64-bit and go to the BIOS option and download the 2203 version, after this unzip the file to a small 1 or 2 GB USB stick (remember the filename!) and go into the BIOS of your PC, you go to the "tool" tab and select "EZFlash 2" I believe it's called.
    From there you find the USB where you unzipped the file to, and direct it towards that file and press enter on it, the follow-up should be self explanatory.
    After it's fully updated you go into the BIOS and select "Load default values" and "Save and exit" after.

Following that (if it failed) you COULD try to re-socket the CPU and inspecting if there are bent pins inside the socket itself or if the CPU contact pads have any weird marks, clean it with the same IsoPropyl Alcohol (CPU ONLY!! NOT THE SOCKET!!) and place it back in again.

If there are no marks and neither of the above works it means 100% that either motherboard RAM pathways are oxidized (bigger chance) or the IMC on the CPU is busted (rare) ... the first would allow a "simple" mobo exchange to get full working order back of the RAM and the 2nd would require a CPU replacement to get it to work.

However IMCs tend to fluctuate and I can see your RAM speed is far higher than your BIOS has set it to so let's try the following as it'll increase voltages to the CPU and IMC and possibly kick the IMC to work with more juice.

I see you have an ASUS P8Z77-M motherboard, press F7 in the first BIOS screen to go to advanced mode.
    Here you go to the AI Tweaker tab (IIRC) and you should have a option called "Ai Overclock Tuner" or similar, it should be the first option on that page.
    Press enter on that and select X.M.P. - A new button below should appear with contents stating Profile #1 or Profile #2.
    Try keeping it on "Profile #1" and then press F10 for save and exit setup.

Shut down the PC entire after this, wait 10 seconds after it's completely powered off and start it up again and go into the BIOS and show me a picture of the first screenshot again.
    Last edited by Evildeffy; 2017-04-13 at 09:36 PM.

If RAM has been switched from slot 1 and 3 to 2 and 4 it means that slots 1 and 3 are broken.
    This can indicate oxidized pathways of the mobos, firmware error, contact with socket issues or IMC on CPU is FUBAR.

Next step (easiest) would be to check if there is a BIOS update available and update it then reset to default values and re-set everything.
    You do that by going here: Download Page.
    Click Windows 10 64-bit and go to the BIOS option and download the 2203 version, after this unzip the file to a small 1 or 2 GB USB stick (remember the filename!) and go into the BIOS of your PC, you go to the "tool" tab and select "EZFlash 2" I believe it's called.
    From there you find the USB where you unzipped the file to, and direct it towards that file and press enter on it, the follow-up should be self explanatory.
    After it's fully updated you go into the BIOS and select "Load default values" and "Save and exit" after.

Following that (if it failed) you COULD try to re-socket the CPU and inspecting if there are bent pins inside the socket itself or if the CPU contact pads have any weird marks, clean it with the same IsoPropyl Alcohol (CPU ONLY!! NOT THE SOCKET!!) and place it back in again.

If there are no marks and neither of the above works it means 100% that either motherboard RAM pathways are oxidized (bigger chance) or the IMC on the CPU is busted (rare) ... the first would allow a "simple" mobo exchange to get full working order back of the RAM and the 2nd would require a CPU replacement to get it to work.

However IMCs tend to fluctuate and I can see your RAM speed is far higher than your BIOS has set it to so let's try the following as it'll increase voltages to the CPU and IMC and possibly kick the IMC to work with more juice.

I see you have an ASUS P8Z77-M motherboard, press F7 in the first BIOS screen to go to advanced mode.
    Here you go to the AI Tweaker tab (IIRC) and you should have a option called "Ai Overclock Tuner" or similar, it should be the first option on that page.
    Press enter on that and select X.M.P. - A new button below should appear with contents stating Profile #1 or Profile #2.
    Try keeping it on "Profile #1" and then press F10 for save and exit setup.

Shut down the PC entire after this, wait 10 seconds after it's completely powered off and start it up again and go into the BIOS and show me a picture of the first screenshot again.
    Erm... I don't think this is what you planned to see http://imgur.com/a/rVKUy

15+ Year Old Account
    Erm... I don't think this is what you planned to see http://imgur.com/a/rVKUy
    Try again with profile #1 and see if it does it again, if it does select Profile #2.

Still need to do that BIOS update though, I may have forgotten to mention that that is quite important when it comes to these matters.

Edit to clarify:
    I meant to update the BIOS before trying the XMP profiles, otherwise you'll have to try it again next time.
    That specific message is nothing to worry about for your case, it's not a "bad" message.
    Last edited by Evildeffy; 2017-04-13 at 09:55 PM.

Maybe just a quick possible test, what if you remove all sticks and only use one at the time and see if the computer see it correctly? and do it for all 4 sticks

Try again with profile #1 and see if it does it again, if it does select Profile #2.

Still need to do that BIOS update though, I may have forgotten to mention that that is quite important when it comes to these matters.

Edit to clarify:
    I meant to update the BIOS before trying the XMP profiles, otherwise you'll have to try it again next time.
    That specific message is nothing to worry about for your case, it's not a "bad" message.
    If I update the BIOS I don't need to do anything like a fresh OS install or something right?

15+ Year Old Account
    If I update the BIOS I don't need to do anything like a fresh OS install or something right?
    You do not no, you may have to set the HDD/SSD to be the primary boot device where you have Windows on, most of the time it'll automatically pick this up even.

Nah you'd not have to reinstall windows. Just for knowledge sake, what motherboard are you using?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    Maybe just a quick possible test, what if you remove all sticks and only use one at the time and see if the computer see it correctly? and do it for all 4 sticks
    This will have 0 effect as she switched out slot 1 and 3 with 2 and 4 and got the exact same, meaning trying every stick is useless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nyeara View Post
    Nah you'd not have to reinstall windows. Just for knowledge sake, what motherboard are you using?
    This is stated on her motherboard BIOS pictures, ASUS P8Z77-M .. which could've been deducted from the links both me and Pansertjald posted.