Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merixa View Post
    Come on guys, let's stop the fighting now. I made choices, I broke my PC. I don't need anyone to pin the blame on anyone else for me. At the end of the day I could have just taken it into a shop but I didn't. As much as my pc is my life right now especially looking for work, it's not the end of days. I can afford to replace the parts I just need to be told what to replace them with.

Evildeffy, it's late for the both of us. Would you mind if maybe I PM you tomorrow and you could help me pick out some new parts so I can get this thing working again? I think we could all use a bit of sleep right now!
    First off: I did not mean to insinuate anything bad with my statement towards the occurred incident, my apologies if you think it did.
    Second: Agreed, give me a PM whenever as I'll be about, if possible see if you can have a form of live communication as I'll be able to assist you much better that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    First off: I did not mean to insinuate anything bad with my statement towards the occurred incident, my apologies if you think it did.
    Second: Agreed, give me a PM whenever as I'll be about, if possible see if you can have a form of live communication as I'll be able to assist you much better that way.
    Sure thing. I'll get a laptop set up with skype or something and I will take you up on that offer to help me piece it together via skype. Right, I'm gona go pass out.

Deleted
    Ok then Mr. Uber Technician... please tell me what other steps would be left.
    Because I have this suspicion you have actually not properly read of what's been tried.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no one has asked if his advanced boot option has capped memory. This way his bios and software that detects ram slots will all show them available, but the OS is capped to 8GB if it's set to that.

For you Merixa.
    Click "Start"
    Write "msconfig"
    Click the "Boot" tab in the top
    Click advanced options
    See if maximum memory is ticked on

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no one has asked if his advanced boot option has capped memory. This way his bios and software that detects ram slots will all show them available, but the OS is capped to 8GB if it's set to that.

For you Merixa.
    Click "Start"
    Write "msconfig"
    Click advanced options
    It also showed incorrectly in the bios if I recall correct from earlier posts. It's not an OS issue.

No, I'm telling you that you have 0 clue as how things work.
    The true issue at hand is that she had not read the guide that I had posted which would've plain made it impossible to get as is due to safeguards placed in UEFI BIOSes and instead found a video on BIOS FlashBack, which is pretty much the only way it can go wrong.

This is not something I told her to do but UNLIKE you I am still trying to calm her down and help her even though I'm under no obligation to do so.

It is much like your comment of that RAM issues aren't sorted through BIOS updates.. useless, ignorant of current technology and not helpful.

So unless you come up with something to assist her go have your delusions of knowledge somewhere else.
    You can keep trying to justify your advice, but anyone with any kind of experience will know how bad of an idea it really is. In general, yes, flashing BIOS works perfectly fine; however, asking someone remotely to do it, giving unclear instructions, and knowing they're inexperienced, is pure negligence.

I can give you tons of examples of knowledgeable people giving the exact same advice I gave. "Unless you have a specific issue that a firmware update specifically addresses, don't flash your BIOS."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post

For you Merixa.
    Click "Start"
    Write "msconfig"
    Click advanced options
    First I would like to apologize for my response, it was a bit too dick-ish of me to reply in such a manner.
    So hereby my apologies for the way that I stated it.

As for your suggestion:
    Considering that the BIOS itself also only showed 8GB as being installed means your suggestion is not something it could be as it is not tied to the OS in any way.

First I would like to apologize for my response, it was a bit too dick-ish of me to reply in such a manner.
    So hereby my apologies for the way that I stated it.

As for your suggestion:
    Considering that the BIOS itself also only showed 8GB as being installed means your suggestion is not something it could be as it is not tied to the OS in any way.
    The motherboard has bios flashback correct? So technicly if it is bricked you can just flash the bios back can you not?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sionus View Post
    You can keep trying to justify your advice, but anyone with any kind of experience will know how bad of an idea it really is. In general, yes, flashing BIOS works perfectly fine; however, asking someone remotely to do it, giving unclear instructions, and knowing they're inexperienced, is pure negligence.

I can give you tons of examples of knowledgeable people giving the exact same advice I gave. "Unless you have a specific issue that a firmware update specifically addresses, don't flash your BIOS."
    My instructions were VERY clear as to how they were given, she chose to do something else entirely.
    Not something anyone can control in the first place and considering she's already capable around computers, as her actions have shown as well as her own information, if you so wish to think of it as negligence ... go right ahead, it wouldn't change the fact that you're wrong and you're STILL not helping.

As she was clearly facing issues that no other options were left but to try a BIOS update, she was not "not having issues" as she states herself that she was also having BSoDs etc.

But you can continue believing whatever you so desire, I'm going to fall asleep like a log and assist her further tomorrow where you will have contributed jack.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    The motherboard has bios flashback correct? So technicly if it is bricked you can just flash the bios back can you not?
    We have tried this, doesn't work.
    In fact the BIOS FlashBack is exactly why her PC started to not boot anymore.

My guide was to do the update through the BIOS itself which won't accept incorrect checksum BIOSes or BIOSes not meant for it.

My instructions were VERY clear as to how they were given, she chose to do something else entirely.
    Not something anyone can control in the first place and considering she's already capable around computers, as her actions have shown as well as her own information, if you so wish to think of it as negligence ... go right ahead, it wouldn't change the fact that you're wrong and you're STILL not helping.

As she was clearly facing issues that no other options were left but to try a BIOS update, she was not "not having issues" as she states herself that she was also having BSoDs etc.

But you can continue believing whatever you so desire, I'm going to fall asleep like a log and assist her further tomorrow where you will have contributed jack.
    When you resort to insults instead of reinforcing your argument, you've lost your position entirely.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sionus View Post
    When you resort to insults instead of reinforcing your argument, you've lost your position entirely.
    When you learn the difference between an insult and actual argumentation come back to me, until then have fun and a good night.

When you learn the difference between an insult and actual argumentation come back to me, until then have fun and a good night.
    The irony is palpable.

Knock off the bickering and keep it on topic please. We're here to help to the best of our ability.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    I think it is strange the PC even starts up if there would be a broken ram DIMM. Let alone function without bluescreening.
    It can, not common but it can.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if the DIMMs are seated fully? Did you take them out recently and then put them back in?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Well this escalated

Doesnt surprise me the mobo seems to have bricked, all P67-Z68-Z77 mobos are a pile of shit, i know first hand from my P67

Either way, flashing BIOS was both wrong and correct.

The BIOS doesnt suddenly go and bug out or change settings, if it does it means problem with the motherboard itself first from the battery and secondary to the chip itself.

A PC that worked 5 years and suddenly has the issue the OP mentioned wouldnt be fixed by a BIOS update, it worked for 5 years and suddenly happened, was quite obvious its hardware related and mobo was at its last, i wouldnt even blame anyone for the flashing failure.

Either way, kinda weird no one mentioned she should have simply reset cmos first, unless i didnt read correctly, oh well.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-04-14 at 06:02 AM.

My biostar tp67b+ is still working perfectly lol, literally never had an issue in 6 years.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    It can, not common but it can.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if the DIMMs are seated fully? Did you take them out recently and then put them back in?
    Im not trying to be an ass-hat here, but please read the thread first, so we don't get any more of all these questions, we have all ready done

And to all of you guys saying we where wrong in telling to flash the BIOS. Please read the link to the Asus update page, then you will see why we wanted the BIOS to be updated. There where ALOT of BIOS versions with Improve system stability, wich can result in RAM error

Here is the link again Asus HelpDesk Download
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Im not trying to be an ass-hat here, but please read the thread first, so we don't get any more of all these questions, we have all ready done

And to all of you guys saying we where wrong in telling to flash the BIOS. Please read the link to the Asus update page, then you will see why we wanted the BIOS to be updated. There where ALOT of BIOS versions with Improve system stability, wich can result in RAM error

Here is the link again Asus HelpDesk Download
    Result in RAM error 6 years late..Yeah no.

Getting BSODs when you first build a PC which point to RAM issue, usually 0x1A the first week/month of building it sure, BIOS update, suddenly "losing" 2 DIMM slots 5 years after you built the PC? Yeah no.

The mobo was at its last either way.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Result in RAM error 6 years late..Yeah no.

Getting BSODs when you first build a PC which point to RAM issue, usually 0x1A the first week/month of building it sure, BIOS update, suddenly "losing" 2 DIMM slots 5 years after you built the PC? Yeah no.

The mobo was at its last either way.
    Yes it can. Just like with all other hardware errors can happen years after release. I had a Gigabyte Windforce GTX 580 and after 3 years it started to have memory problems and i contacted Gigabyte and they gave me a new firmware and that fixed the memory problem. No problems at all the first 3 years and the boom memory problems. So yes problems with hardware can happen years after release
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Yes it can. Just like with all other hardware errors can happen years after release. I had a Gigabyte Windforce GTX 580 and after 3 years it started to have memory problems and i contacted Gigabyte and they gave me a new firmware and that fixed the memory problem. No problems at all the first 3 years and the boom memory problems. So yes problems with hardware can happen years after release
    ...Cute.

Hardware doesnt magically fix with software updates, the firmware they gave you, all it can do to magically fix your "problems" is undervolting.

Funny you mentioned GTX 580, i had the same, memory problems after 4 years, undervolted it/lowered frequency a bit, fine for ~5 months and died afterwards.

Deleted
    Did you install 64 bit version of windows? Maybe you installed 32bit , just my two cents.