Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I wouldnt mind that. I HATE THAT MOUNTAIN.

Also that kid with red hair reminds me of a son of that trainer from black and white.
    hes wearing reds hat. hes probably ashes dad

as for gen 1 remakes/sequels id be all for it. fire red and leaf green are now the oldest pokemon games and we havent had a game with kanto in it since gen 4
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Already a fan art:

Don't sweat the details!!!

Just faced a Smeargle in VGC that got its evasiveness boost turn 1 and proceeded to dodge 10+ more attacks via Follow Me.

If this EVER becomes mainstream again, I am completely out of this, honestly.

The same trash girl had a minimize chansey with guard swap carbink.

What a fucking trash, honestly. This game aggravated me so much. I at least won in the end, but I wouldn't play against that shit even if I was to be paid for it. Never.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Just faced a Smeargle in VGC that got its evasiveness boost turn 1 and proceeded to dodge 10+ more attacks via Follow Me.

What a fucking trash, honestly. This game aggravated me so much. I at least won in the end, but I wouldn't play against that shit even if I was to be paid for it. Never.
    If you see players like this (who use minimize and similar things), just cut down your connection.

10+ Year Old Account

That's what you get for dabbling in VGC. If you're doing it for the Megastones I would recommend just going with 6 Self-Destructs or just weak ass mons in general. You don't need to actually WIN these games do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelavar View Post
    That's what you get for dabbling in VGC. If you're doing it for the Megastones I would recommend just going with 6 Self-Destructs or just weak ass mons in general. You don't need to actually WIN these games do you?
    No, VGC 2017 is the best format ever, seriously. It was the first Smeargle, I EVER faced in it actually, since the very start of the format. It also happened to get +2 Evasiveness (it then got another +2, forgot to mention that), and proceeded to be god damn annoying. If it ever becomes meta again, I am so out.

To be clear though, this incident does not characterize the current VGC metagame at all though. You constantly see different pokemon & strategies that do NOT involve confusion & paralysis, since they are nerfed. The game's at its healthiest state since ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    If you see players like this (who use minimize and similar things), just cut down your connection.
    And give them the satisfaction? NEVER. All these trash must be squished and destroyed one by one. Nevermind the waves of anger I went through while battling against it, getting no satisfaction in the end for winning.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, VGC 2017 is the best format ever, seriously. It was the first Smeargle, I EVER faced in it actually, since the very start of the format. It also happened to get +2 Evasiveness (it then got another +2, forgot to mention that), and proceeded to be god damn annoying. If it ever becomes meta again, I am so out.

To be clear though, this incident does not characterize the current VGC metagame at all though. You constantly see different pokemon & strategies that do NOT involve confusion & paralysis, since they are nerfed. The game's at its healthiest state since ever.

- - - Updated - - -

And give them the satisfaction? NEVER. All these trash must be squished and destroyed one by one. Nevermind the waves of anger I went through while battling against it, getting no satisfaction in the end for winning.
    You're a man on a mission I respect that :P
    I couldn't stomach that kind of wack shit which is, alongside my dislike for doubles, why I will forever stand by:
    VGC not even once

You're a man on a mission I respect that :P
    I couldn't stomach that kind of wack shit which is, alongside my dislike for doubles, why I will forever stand by:
    VGC not even once
    Actually, after playing in a healthy VGC metagame, I honestly view singles as battles for numbsters and noobs. Also, the amount of strategies that can play out in doubles is immensely bigger than that on singles, plus the amount of moves you will see. THIS (and only this) VGC format is simply the best pokemon has ever had to offer in all of its existence, honestly.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the amount of RNG has dropped immensely: no confusion inducing moves, no paralysis. The worst you will see from those is like a flinch from the (now) rare Choice Scarf Garchomp's Rock Slide, and that's pretty much all. No real hax involved.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention that with the introduction of Tapu Fini whose terrain makes all status' to simply fail, inflicting status is simply not that viable anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, after playing in a healthy VGC metagame, I honestly view singles as battles for numbsters and noobs. Also, the amount of strategies that can play out in doubles is immensely bigger than that on singles, plus the amount of moves you will see. THIS (and only this) VGC format is simply the best pokemon has ever had to offer in all of its existence, honestly.
    Care to expand on that? What, on a fundamental level regardless of metagame, makes singles inferior in your mind? You mention the amount of strategies, how many of them are gimmicks though? Cause that is something that I feel the doubles format enables and I don't view that as a positive.

Care to expand on that? What, on a fundamental level regardless of metagame, makes singles inferior in your mind? You mention the amount of strategies, how many of them are gimmicks though? Cause that is something that I feel the doubles format enables and I don't view that as a positive.
    What do you define as gimmicks exactly?

Singles is very straightforward, with very clear win conditions, with whole teams being butchered by others. An example would be the new Bisharp/Smeargle Sticky Webs team that is running around rampart in S/M OU. In VGC, it's not like that: only the fact that you can bring 4 out of your 6 pokemon before the battle begins, is a massive strategy amp from singles. Also: leading; with double the amount of the leads you need to pick, it's much more complex and intuitive than singles, where you almost always have a dedicated pokemon for that role. The turns themselves: with double-teaming, protect predictions, and the further complexity that entails in guessing if a pokemon even carries protect and if it would use it; the sheer amount of stuff that can happen in a single turn because of the immediate interactions: a new combo that has surfaced over the past month in VGC for instance is:

Tapu Lele (any variant: life orb, specs, psychium Z to name a few), with
    DRIFBLIM @ Psychic Seed: upon leading with those 2 (and if you do not lose the terrain war vs a fini for instance) the seed activates, giving a +1 to SpDef and activating Unburded, almost guaranteeing a Tailwind for you on Turn 1. This has given rise to SCARF PHYSICAL Tapu Kokos that aim to take down Drifblims that try that.

My point is that simply because of the amount of the pokemon on the field... there's just so much stuff that need to be accounted for, and not just what stuff would be going on in singles x2: simply because of the myriad of moves that always existed in pokemon that only work in doubles (Helping Hand for instance), you see so much stuff, you will never see in singles and strategies out of those moves.

Or abilities: Scarfed Discharge Xurkitree that has Alolan-Marowak switching in from a Tapu Koko that just got Electric Terrain up to Lightning Rod it.

There's just... so much stuff that quite simply never takes place in Singles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on your reliance on a very specific setup or combination like the Lele/Drifblim combo you described I would classify the strategy/team setup as gimmicky.
    Essentially, the more you rely on a singular win condition the likelier it is to be a gimmick strat.

Either way, should the metagame remain as healthy going into the future, perhaps I'll try to learn and play VGC. If I ever ever decide to return to competitive pokemon in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Defensive Drifblim with baton pass ---) to defensive eevee to use Z move and then baton pass to Muk who spams minimize = ) very cheating team

If you dont have a pokemon who can hit over evasion you are f***ed. (or some1 to remove stat changes)
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Smart_Strike

Depending on your reliance on a very specific setup or combination like the Lele/Drifblim combo you described I would classify the strategy/team setup as gimmicky.
    Essentially, the more you rely on a singular win condition the likelier it is to be a gimmick strat.

Either way, should the metagame remain as healthy going into the future, perhaps I'll try to learn and play VGC. If I ever ever decide to return to competitive pokemon in the first place.
    That's not a gimmick at all actually! It's very consistent. If you want a gimmick, check the Anger Point team Aaron Cybertron used very recently: Krookodile and Crabominable with Anger Point plus Razor Claw + Super Luck Honchcrow: you sucker punch your scarfed krook for the 50% chance to crit, he instantly gets +6 atk, and you EQ away: Honchcrow is of course immune, everything else just dies

10+ Year Old Account
    Soo, I was doing some WT on Sun last night cos I couldn't sleep, got a shiny Regice that came from Gen 6, with the OT of Sakati.TV.... Suspiciooouusss....
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    Soo, I was doing some WT on Sun last night cos I couldn't sleep, got a shiny Regice that came from Gen 6, with the OT of Sakati.TV.... Suspiciooouusss....
    Perfect IVs, good nature, full EVs and good moveset and item too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Perfect IVs, good nature, full EVs and good moveset and item too?
    Assault Vest, no idea if it's IVs/EVs are amazing, 364hp 122atk 237def 327sp.atk 435sp.def 136spd. Modest nature, Flash Cannon, Hidden Power, Thunderbolt and Icebeam, all the moves PP are maxed.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

I will have you know that I hatched a shiny magnemite (without even going for it) that is only shy of 1 IV for being perfect, correct ability and also has HP Ice. It hatched in less than... 20 eggs.

That magnemite really wanted me.

Congrats on the shiny magnemite, surprise shinies are the best ones.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will have you know that I hatched a shiny magnemite (without even going for it) that is only shy of 1 IV for being perfect, correct ability and also has HP Ice. It hatched in less than... 20 eggs.

That magnemite really wanted me.
    Congrats. Reminds me of when I was hatching eggs for my shiny fast ball Growlithe, got it on my first or second egg.