I hate prayer of mending , any alternatives?

I really hate this spell and refreshing it all the time , now i even have the legendary legs which makes benediction even more mandatory , i loved how we used to play on en spamming flash heal and totally ignore prayer or at least have the choice to do so, are there any alternative playstyles now for raiding? like going surge of light + trail of light? how viable is flash heal now on nh? i see its mostly prayer of healing spam , is that right? i feel like i cant compete at all , a priest was pulling 600k+ hps and i could barely reach him , i dont know how they do it , i was pulling 300k hps on guldan while the druid of the grp pulled 600k , how is that possible?

Prayer of mending has always been one of the core spells of holy priest, like chain heal for shammies or reju for druid. U dont like it because u cant track it or hard to follow off CD timer? If that is the case it is easy to solve with addons. Using PoM does not mean u cant play trial of light and not use flash heal. It is just an additional spell to follow.

For a while I thought only Disc got these questions; glad to know it happens regardless of spec.

I've been playing a lot with Surge of Light and Trail of Light until recently when I realized how much stronger Piety/Benediction is in general. I don't think you should drop Benediction but you don't have to go all out with Enlightenment. However if you can only pull 300k HPS on Gul'dan I don't think talent choices is your problem.

Discipline and shadow are the priest alternatives to Prayer of Mending.

Deleted
    roll a paladin/shaman or wait a bit and see what happens with mistweaver

You were never supposed to ignore PoM while "spamming" flash heal anyway (not to mention that playstyle has been out of date since 7.1 removed BoT procs from ToL heals), it's just slightly more potent now that piety reduces the cooldown of Sanctify. And nop, there's no alternative.

At ilvl 900~ you should have no issues pulling 600k on fights with a decent amount of AoE damage (Think Skorpyron, CA, Krosus, Tichondrius, Ellisande), but it all depends on the number of healers you bring (and what classes). Depending on your healing setup it can definitly be hard to pull 600k on Gul'dan normal/heroic though, it's not exactly our best fight with your standard pug setup considering our mastery ends up overhealing a lot until you start dropping healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    I've been playing a lot with Surge of Light and Trail of Light until recently when I realized how much stronger Piety/Benediction is in general. I don't think you should drop Benediction but you don't have to go all out with Enlightenment. However if you can only pull 300k HPS on Gul'dan I don't think talent choices is your problem.
    How do you use your pom guys? do you use it on the tank? on an injured player? on yourself? seriously i dont understand why i pull only 300k , its not normall , i used to play very well at en and pulling 300k so it doesnt make sense why i pull so little now , i think i need a better healing setup , trying to flash heal reactively on vudho bars its so fucking slow , i also think that using poh reactively is wayyyyy too slow , maybe i should just spam it regardless what happens? but iw ill run oom fast.

How did your game change since en? do healers do something better right now? im really outdated.

I usually put PoM on the tank who is currently tanking the boss. Sometimes at someone you know will take damage soon from a raid-wide ability. Sniping heals with flash heal is essential as long as your mana pool can afford it. Same goes with using your holy words. Make sure to always be casting something (use renew when you have to move and plan your movement in advance). I recommend reading Aspaartami's guide at HowToPriest. https://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9521

Now there are several good Holy Priest guides out there and in particular Aspartaami's guide mentioned above. I'd definitly recommend you to join the Priest Discord where you'll find everything you need stickied in the Holy channel. I'll just go ahead and share a few tips from my own experience anyway, but I still recommend you read through the more in-depth guides!

Spec
    Enlightenment (ToL only if you find yourself casting a lot of FH, I use it on Trilliax and Spellblade Mythic only)
    Angelic Feather
    Afterlife
    Light of the Naaru (Symbol of Hope is just weak in comparison)
    Piety
    Divinity
    Benediction

Goes for pretty much all fights in NH.

Super basic stuff
    Keep PoM on CD on any player you know will take damage (make a WeakAura to track it, I use a sound cue on top of that), cast Holy Words on CD (ofc you don't cast them mindlessly, but they should be high priority and cast over PoH/FH). Fill with heal/fh on tank if there's no damage, PoH if a portion of the raid takes damage (try to aim it to hit melee when melee take damage, casters when casters take damage etc), FH for spot healing.

Semi advanced stuff
    Start off every fight with stacking PoM to 10 on at least both tanks before the pull (1 more PoM is possible but a tank PoM usually drops off in that case so I haven't found it useful on most fights).
    Always spec in to Divinity. Divinity is a 15% healing increase for 6 seconds after casting a Holy Word, and you want to have as high an uptime of this as possible. On top of that, you have a trait (Power of the Naaru) that increases healing done by PoH after casting HW:Sanctify. Basically, this means you want to cast HW:Sanctify and follow it up by 2-3 PoH as long as they won't massively overheal. Try to time that combo for high damage phases and don't forget to cast PoM on CD just because there's high damage going out. Casting PoH without Divinity or at least PotN active is going to be a waste of mana and should only be a last resort when nothing else is off CD and you've still got high damage going out.

Divine Hymn
    Don't use Divine Hymn reactively if you can avoid it. Make sure that you have as many PoM up as possible (at least 3 casts on cooldown) before your assigned (or planned) Divine Hymn, and never cast Divine Hymn without first casting a Holy Word for the Divinity buff. Even better if you can time it with a Blessing of Tuure buff, but even with high crit levels that not always possible and I wouldn't recommend stacking crit anymore.

Planning vs reacting
    Planning always wins, that's as simple as it is. Reacting is what you do when something doesn't go according to plan!
    There are virtually no fights that have unpredictable damage, so you can always plan ahead for when to use your holy words and your hymn. Let's take Krosus as an example. HW:Sanctify just came off cooldown, and your boss mod tells you that a slam is 8 seconds away. If you cast it now you technically get a higher uptime of Divinity, but if you delay it until the slam has hit, not only will you prevent it from overhealing much but you'll also have both Divinity and Power of the Naaru active to heal up the remaining damage from slam using PoH.
    Knowing the fight is key to performing well, even as holy.

Yeah thats what i was thinking , planning and then following proper rotation is a must , i used to plan as disc and react as holy but i think you need to know when to do X on a specific encounter even as holy , this will make you much faster and filler in between with flash heals , you need to steal as much aoe hps as possible and aoe is not random at all. Tnx for the tips guys. Gotta create some complex weak auras now.

keeping pom on cooldown is probably the only thing you have to remember to do if you have 4 or 5 poms bouncing around you'll maximise your aoe healing combined with sanctify when spike happens.

holy pom spec is over powered now that you can have multiple poms out and they merge and stack to 10, and you have traits that increase the power of pom substantially, benediction leaves renews, the weapon trait that heals ppl when pom bounces to ppl with renew, and the chance to not consume charges when it bounces. it almost plays itself. you can have 2 stacks of 10 poms on the 2 tanks before every pull and if you keep firing it off every time it comes off cd, you really can't lose, you fill in with flash heal and holy words on ppl who spike either the tanks and serenity or the whole of melee and sanctify.

I usually save light of t'urre for the tanks and combine it with a pom or serenity. but ill use it on ppl who spike low and if serenity is on cooldown it works as an instant cast life saver.

holy has become too faceroll and so i'm actually switching to playing disc more often.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-04-15 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    keeping pom on cooldown is probably the only thing you have to remember to do if you have 4 or 5 poms bouncing around you'll maximise your aoe healing combined with sanctify when spike happens.

holy pom spec is over powered now that you can have multiple poms out and they merge and stack to 10, and you have traits that increase the power of pom substantially, benediction leaves renews, the weapon trait that heals ppl when pom bounces to ppl with renew, and the chance to not consume charges when it bounces. it almost plays itself. you can have 2 stacks of 10 poms on the 2 tanks before every pull and if you keep firing it off every time it comes off cd, you really can't lose, you fill in with flash heal and holy words on ppl who spike either the tanks and serenity or the whole of melee and sanctify.

I usually save light of t'urre for the tanks and combine it with a pom or serenity. but ill use it on ppl who spike low and if serenity is on cooldown it works as an instant cast life saver.

holy has become too faceroll and so i'm actually switching to playing disc more often.
    I'm not sure what you're on about. If your combined PoM, Benediction Renew, Holy Mending and it's EoL procs do more than 25% of your healing (if even that much) you're doing something wrong. That's the full extent of the "holy pom spec" you speak about, the other 75-80% is provided by PoH, FH, Heal, LoT, Sanctify, Serenity etc and their respective EoL ticks.

Echo of light does most of your healing followed by flash heal and then it'll be either pom/serenity or for me its probably the absorb from prydaz then renew etc the top 3 are echo which does anywhere between 25>30% and then flash heal and whatever heal you use after that be it pom or poh or serenity.

the spec is too easy to play with very little thought required to do well. compared to the past where you could only have 1 pom out and it didn't stack to 10, today being able to pre-pom and maintain 3-4+ poms makes aoe healing a breeze. then the flash heal spam in low damage or tank healing situations. I very rarely if ever use heal or hard cast renew. I don't get mana problems either and always have trail of light.

the pom build makes m+ pretty breezy, though, either ppl take damage that is actually heal-able or they get one shotted anyway.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-04-15 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    Echo of light does most of your healing followed by flash heal and then it'll be either pom/serenity or for me its probably the absorb from prydaz then renew etc the top 3 are echo which does anywhere between 25>30% and then flash heal and whatever heal you use after that be it pom or poh or serenity.

the spec is too easy to play with very little thought required to do well. compared to the past where you could only have 1 pom out and it didn't stack to 10, today being able to pre-pom and maintain 3-4+ poms makes aoe healing a breeze. then the flash heal spam in low damage or tank healing situations. I very rarely if ever use heal or hard cast renew. I don't get mana problems either and always have trail of light.

the pom build makes m+ pretty breezy, though, either ppl take damage that is actually heal-able or they get one shotted anyway.
    Not really no, this is more like what you'll see since ToL stopped proccing BoT in 7.1 (7.1.5?), depending a bit on how much you have to spot heal (Skorp M, Krosus M and Gul'dan HC for reference, all around 90th percentile).

I'm not sure why you'd ever argue for flash heal being your main "filler" when PoH is more HPS and HPM efficient as long as it hits 3 of the 5 targets and has great synergy with Sanctify, both our T19 2pc and upcoming T20 4pc and Cosmic Ripple. Now, if you're talking about dungeons, yes Flash heal is obviously used slightly more than in the breakdowns I provided and you pick ToL over Enlightenment but that's a whole other story and you'll spend 50% of the time DPSing anyway.

yeah i only raid heroic so i don't find myself pushing sanctify off cooldown with poh, ill use poh occasionally but i tend to spot with flash heal so it ends up second for me most of the time. serenity is usually higher for me aswell probably because i'm forcing it off cooldown and using it on the tanks quite often. these last few weeks i've been raiding as disc after getting xanshi i found holy to be just too easy, you die, nps up you get. i feel that although its great for progression it takes too much of the risk away and i can see it ending up being relied on too much which is something i'd rather not get used to. the cloak is great but i feel it just breeds complacency.

I could see the raid wide damage being much greater in mythic and the use of poh to be more to match. in heroic its only really krosus that requires more than a few pohs to cover the slam damage most of the fights in nighthold heroic, pom and flash heal spam does most of the work. i raid with a resto druid and sometimes a holy pala so the aoe healing is usually fine.

when i started playing in legion i was using surge of light and coh, I thought coh worked well with sanctify but it didn't heal anywhere near as much as having piety and benediction. for the best aoe output having those two talents is almost mandatory, i'm sure there are plenty of viable builds but the pom build heals for a lot and is not that hard to manage. with 20% haste it should have something like an 8.5 sec cool down which is great.

basically i don't think it gets any easier than piety and benediction if the op hates pom then either play a different class or go disc if you want to put some effort into pushing out big numbers.

obviously there are fights that are pure aoe damage you could just stand there spamming poh like on scopyron every time he drops a crystal, but then there are fights like spellblade where the whole raid isn't taking damage at the same time and so poh won't be second.

also to note is that i raid with less than 15 ppl so i don't have as many ppl to heal, than a more average 20+ raid.

if it helps i tend to have about 20% over healing or less. as well either i time my heals just right or i don't spam poh that much. hell if i found i needed to use poh that much in heroic i would use muze's bracers for the cast time increase, i don't think i've ever had a fight where i ended up with poh second. i can see enlightenment would be required for that also due to the higher mana drain.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-04-16 at 12:17 AM.