10+ Year Old Account

Cheapest triple monitor AMD setup.

So I need to expand my desktop real estate at work. Two monitors just doesn't cut it for having 6-12 windows open and viewable. I'm looking for a triple monitor card for as cheap as possible. The company will pay for it but they don't want to pay much. There's a caveat though, it needs to be ATI.

For whatever reason my system will not accept nvidia GPU's above a 6xx series. I've tried two 730s, 710, and two 920s. From what I can tell it's a bios issue, and the only bios update available simply doesn't work, and it's a known issue. My only other alternative is getting a new system, which won't happen.

I'm not sure what the lowest/cheapest AMD that supports 3x is (Eyefinity, Displayport I imagine).

I'd reeeeally rather not get a USB one. I've always had a poor experience with those. I'm not gaming on this system whatsoever, and never will be (work computer and all), so I don't need anything fancy.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    A 480 should be able to push triple monitors if you're just browsing/working on them.
    Something like this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814150771 should work (ports may be an issue depending on what cabling your monitor has)

(http://shop.amd.com/en-us/promo?k=rx...&promo=rxpromo also have the 470 and 460 models as well that are cheaper)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    So I need to expand my desktop real estate at work. Two monitors just doesn't cut it for having 6-12 windows open and viewable. I'm looking for a triple monitor card for as cheap as possible. The company will pay for it but they don't want to pay much. There's a caveat though, it needs to be ATI.

For whatever reason my system will not accept nvidia GPU's above a 6xx series. I've tried two 730s, 710, and two 920s. From what I can tell it's a bios issue, and the only bios update available simply doesn't work, and it's a known issue. My only other alternative is getting a new system, which won't happen.

I'm not sure what the lowest/cheapest AMD that supports 3x is (Eyefinity, Displayport I imagine).

I'd reeeeally rather not get a USB one. I've always had a poor experience with those. I'm not gaming on this system whatsoever, and never will be (work computer and all), so I don't need anything fancy.
    Theoretically any HD5800 and higher series cards can support up to 5 - 6 displays last I checked.

So if you want the latest and cheapest you simply get an RX 460 which does have support for 5 IIRC, but you may need a DisplayPort MST hub for it.

Though you do need to check if the vendor (ASUS/MSI/GigaByte etc.) allows support for it.

This should extend back to R7 series as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the 480 is waaaaay too expensive. I'm aiming for the sub-$100 range. I'd even consider buying used for what it's worth.

Are there ~R 210 or 310's that support 3x monitors?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the 480 is waaaaay too expensive. I'm aiming for the sub-$100 range. I'd even consider buying used for what it's worth.

Again.. any chip CAN support it from AMD, their multi-monitor technology has always been superior to that of nVidia.
    The only thing here is that you'd have to check from every vendor.

And unfortunately I don't know any by heart that might know as such.

Maybe someone does but you're going to have to do the legwork yourself I think

10+ Year Old Account

Pretty much any card in existence can support this provided it has the outputs for this. I imagine you just need this for work and not some games so really - any card is good to go.

Basically anything from this series: http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r5

Just make sure you get one with enough outputs. VGA one is a bit shit.

Here is one great card really: https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Rade...Cp_36%3A-10000

It's old as fuck, but it has everything you really need. I liked here that it is passively cooled and comes with 2 DVI and one HDMI, so no analog VGA nonsense.

Again no gaming or fluff, you have been warned, strictly to output shit to 3 displays that's all.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2017-04-15 at 10:21 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If I remember correctly btw... if you connect 3 monitors digitally you may need to use an active displayport connector inbetween.

This was a long time ago though so over time this may have changed with newer cards to no longer being required.

Regardless I think you might be off pretty good with an R7 360 card, if I am to believe GigaByte's page this allows for 4 monitors:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-933-_-Product

(yes yes I said you should do the legwork but I kinda got curious)

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's where I'm getting a bit confused.

I'm looking at this card, which says to give 3x monitors on DVI - https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Rade.../dp/B0094D51IU

Yet I'm reading a LOT of information that says EyeFinity, no matter how you do it, requires DisplayPort as the third monitor. Is this just old info, or just incorrect even though its per AMD? Or is it a case of HDMI using a displayport bus or something?

15+ Year Old Account
    Here's where I'm getting a bit confused.

I'm looking at this card, which says to give 3x monitors on DVI - https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Rade.../dp/B0094D51IU

Yet I'm reading a LOT of information that says EyeFinity, no matter how you do it, requires DisplayPort as the third monitor. Is this just old info, or just incorrect even though its per AMD? Or is it a case of HDMI using a displayport bus or something?
    Why do you need EyeFinity btw?

If you're simply requiring 3 monitors you don't need EyeFinity, though I'd recommend mine with a little bit of active cooling over the 6450 one you looked it, as EyeFinity is only required to make 1 huge ass desktop resolution making Windows think it's just 1 monitor.

Do you need 1 giant desktop or just 3 separate screens?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Why do you need EyeFinity btw?
    I... honestly was under the impression that EyeFinity literally was the only way AMD gets 3 monitors to work. Like, you do 1, 2, or (With EyeFinity), 3+ monitors.

If thats not the case I could care less. Is EyeFinity simply for a 5760x1080 single screen (across 3 monitors)? If thats the case I couldn't care less, I just need 3 monitors rolling for standard windows UI.

15+ Year Old Account
    I... honestly was under the impression that EyeFinity literally was the only way AMD gets 3 monitors to work. Like, you do 1, 2, or (With EyeFinity), 3+ monitors.

If thats not the case I could care less. Is EyeFinity simply for a 5760x1080 single screen (across 3 monitors)? If thats the case I couldn't care less, I just need 3 monitors rolling for standard windows UI.
    You do not need EyeFinity for 3 monitors.
    Though newer my current card I kept (sold off all my nVidia and other AMD cards) which is an MSI R9 390X Gaming X 8GB variant I simply have the monitors connected through 2 x DVI-D and 1 x HDMI and it works without any form of QQ.

AMD's EyeFinity and nVidia's Surround is supposed to be only to make a giant desktop to get 5760x1080. (example resolution, can be different depending on how you physically place and orient your monitors!)
    If you grab the R7 360 you also have separate sound channel capabilities per HDMI/DP screen which Windows should even auto-detect if that's something you need.
    The HD6450 nor any nVidia card is capable of such.

Edit:
    That's 4 out of 4 Chazus in help requests, you should just add me on a form of IM, would be quicker than posting
    Last edited by Evildeffy; 2017-04-15 at 11:50 PM.

buy one or two 500 series cards next week.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2017-04-15 at 11:52 PM.

You could look for an older nVidia card, too. If it wont boot past a 6-series, just get a 6-series or 5-series card.

A GTx 550 or something would probably work great and be dirt cheap.

Not necessarily "dirt cheap" - but still brand new:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...D=3938566&SID=

Im sure you could pick up a 5xx or 6xx card or Radeon 7xxx card for cheap on Craigslist or eBay.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2017-04-16 at 12:26 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    You could look for an older nVidia card, too. If it wont boot past a 6-series, just get a 6-series or 5-series card.

A GTx 550 or something would probably work great and be dirt cheap.

Not necessarily "dirt cheap" - but still brand new:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...D=3938566&SID=

Im sure you could pick up a 5xx or 6xx card or Radeon 7xxx card for cheap on Craigslist or eBay.
    Pretty sure a 5xx series cannot drive 3 monitors actively at the same time as AMD came out with EyeFinity and up to 6 monitors active support when nVidia could only drive 2 at the same time... 600 series might.

Edit:
    Yeah ... confirmed it, you need to SLi the 500 series to be able to drive more than 2 monitors.
    The 600 can because they needed an answer to AMD's EyeFinity and 6 display output.

Edit 2:
    Also 0 reason to pick the 650 Ti over the R7 360 I linked, it's more expensive, slower, uses more power and based upon a 3 year older architecture.
    Last edited by Evildeffy; 2017-04-16 at 12:42 AM.

the rx 460 is i think the new budget card unless they released a new generation, i think an rx 460 is about £100, its probably the best cheapest gpu there is afaik nvidia i don't think have anything like it in the price range maybe the 750ti?. i mean i bought my 370 a year ago i think and the 460 would be noticeably better and yet it doesn't require an external power connector. maybe the 470 is a good middle ground. i don't think its that much cheaper than a 480 though. pretty sure the 460, 70 and 80 have triple monitor support.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-04-16 at 12:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    the rx 460 is i think the new budget card unless they released a new generation, i think an rx 460 is about £100, its probably the best cheapest gpu there is afaik nvidia i don't think have anything like it in the price range. i mean i bought my 370 a year ago i think and the 460 would be noticeably better and yet it doesn't require an external power connector. maybe the 470 is a good middle ground. i don't think its that much cheaper than a 480 though.
    The 460 is also a gaming card and he isn't going to be running any games.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Also 0 reason to pick the 650 Ti over the R7 360 I linked, it's more expensive, slower, uses more power and based upon a 3 year older architecture.
    None of which is terribly relevant for what he's using it for, other than the cost difference (about 10$). If he's just using them for flat display, it could be a freaking iGPU and be fine, if it had the capability to drive the 3 displays.

However, given the cost difference, the R7 360 is fine. Either will do. And for this, cheaper is probably better.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    The 460 is also a gaming card and he isn't going to be running any games.
    yeah i kinda thought that would be the case, a gpu for just office work that can handle three monitors, you might end up having to mix outputs some cards only come with like 1 hdmi 1 dvi and 1 vga, so you could do triple monitors but each one would have a different output cable. i think the 6670 was like that, it had one of each output type. surely any gpu in the 6x or 7x series or the r7 series should have the ability to run three monitors they will just likely have a mix of output ports.

i actually do this at home i have 2 screen my inet browsing screen is vga and my main gaming screen is hdmi. there is a colour difference, might be annoying with 3 monitors of varying hues might be able to fix the difference by playing with the contrast..
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-04-16 at 01:08 AM.