Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Curious of opinions on the forced upgraded curse client / Twitch?

While everyone is screwed out of WoW right now, what is everyone's opinion of the new curse client / twitch app that was forced down everyone's throats?

Personally I absolutely detest it, between it trying to run in the background constantly, downloading the Twitch streaming app, trying to link to my steam account every time I open it, the links from the website now being broken (can only download in the app, not from the webpage), the app using tons more memory then the previous version, and on and on and on...
    /sig

Its shit that there was 0 notice. I turned my computer on the other day and I had a pop up saying "twitch is trying to modify your settings" I hit decline at the time because I had never installed anything from twitch.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never used the Curse client, and never will use it. Sounds like I have one more reason not to, though!
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Deleted
    Its bullshit.

Back to manually installing add ons for me.

if I wanted to give my details away to complete strangers I'd put an ad in the paper. I wish the trend to network eveything down to your toothbrush with the manufacturer would die and they'd all just fuuuck off with this social media cobblers.

Odd, this thread disappeared for a couple minutes so I did some research and found:

MMO-Champion acquired by Curse
    There we go.

Press Release
    San Francisco, CA – July 19, 2010 – Curse, Inc. announced today the purchase of the #1 World of Warcraft news site, MMO-Champion.com. The site was bought from Major League Gaming for an undisclosed amount.

MMO-Champion is a natural fit for Curse which already possesses the largest repository of add-ons available for MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online) games such as World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online and Runes of Magic as well as extremely popular forums for Runescape, Aion and Final Fantasy XIV. The World of Warcraft news site attracts 7 million unique visitors and more than 80 million page views per month (Google Analytics WW, June 2010). The combination makes Curse the #1 MMO destination online.

“The acquisition of MMO-Champion markedly sets Curse apart from the competition,” said Hubert Thieblot, CEO and Founder. “Not only does the addition solidify Curse as the largest MMO destination on the web, but it plays a central role in delivering a complete Curse MMO solution. Curse is now the ultimate resource for MMO news, forums, databases, and add-ons.”

Gamers and advertisers alike will benefit greatly from MMO-Champion’s purchase by Curse. In the next few months, visitors can expect an updated page design and improved user experience. To insure the site’s strong content offering will not be compromised, Fabien Bonte, the site’s founder and administrator, will be joining the Curse staff as a full-time employee. Advertisers can take advantage of Curse’s extended reach into the core MMO market, making MMO gamers easier to connect with than ever. For more information about Curse and MMO-Champion, please visit www.curse.com.

So the same people that screwed Curse actually own MMO-Champ also.
    /sig

At the very least they should ask you if you want it and just offer an uninstall if not. Just changing my system settings without asking is a big no-go for me. And they better don't come with some "but it's an uuuuupgraaaade" shit. No it isn't, it's a different software.

BTW, it doesn't even uninstall the curse client.
    Last edited by huth; 2017-04-16 at 11:32 AM.

I don't give a shit.

I start it, I update my addons, I close it.

Didn't have to link anything, doesn't give me any notifications. Hell, I like it more than the old one because you can queue more than 3 addons.

Literally the only difference I've noticed is the change of icon on my taskbar.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Literally the only difference I've noticed is the change of icon on my taskbar.
    You didn't notice the addition of chat, twitch video streaming, it running non-stop trying to grab your userlist from steam, the amount of traffic it uses going up by over 100x the old client, it changing its name from "curse client" to "Twitch", installing extra software, adding "friends suggestions", constantly prompting for feedback, and only having either outstanding positive review or mediocre (no negative button), linking directly to your webcam and microphone, minecraft being added into the settings menu, automatically sharing your activity on your computer turned on, and it set to automatically enable streaming mode when Xsplit or OBS is detected?

Yea, guess only the icon on the taskbar has changed. WoW must be completely stable right now also.
    /sig

Wasn't it like literally a year ago they announced this would be happening ?
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelxin View Post

Yea, guess only the icon on the taskbar has changed.
    Exactly. None of the stuff you mentioned has happened on my machine. Sounds like PBKAC to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally don't like it though I knew it was coming as that announcement for Twitch selling games also doubled as a notification that the curse client was turning into the twitch client. The only reason I used the curse client was for the ease of downloading and installing the 7 or so addons I use in WoW and that was it. Rest of the time I don't even look at it.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

update my addons and close it.

if they make it so you cant update it and close it will get uninstalled so fast.

Not a big deal, still has the same functionality but with some added features that are optional. Could argue that it's better because of being able to update multiple addons at once, though it takes so little time to update anyway it still doesn't really matter. I think people that complain about the change are just complaining for the sake of complaining.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    Hell, I like it more than the old one because you can queue more than 3 addons.
    They closed down the curse premium program a little while ago. I'd forgotten about it until I noticed they'd pro-rata refunded my last payment.

You didn't notice the addition of chat, twitch video streaming, it running non-stop trying to grab your userlist from steam, the amount of traffic it uses going up by over 100x the old client, it changing its name from "curse client" to "Twitch", installing extra software, adding "friends suggestions", constantly prompting for feedback, and only having either outstanding positive review or mediocre (no negative button), linking directly to your webcam and microphone, minecraft being added into the settings menu, automatically sharing your activity on your computer turned on, and it set to automatically enable streaming mode when Xsplit or OBS is detected?

Yea, guess only the icon on the taskbar has changed. WoW must be completely stable right now also.
    That happened a fair while ago. There's been a staggered upgrade to the new curse client over at least 6 months now, I think. The only 'new' thing is the name change from curse client to twitch.

I don't like it. In fact, screw it I am uninstalling it now.

Done. I don't like Twitch. I don't like companies fucking with me and updating something from one product to another without directly telling me what they are doing. Asking "do you want to update Curse" and have it come back Twitch is a bait and switch.

I'll grab my addons the old fashioned way!

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like updating all of my addons with 1 click , no complaints.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

Mixed feelings. I mean, I don't use all that other stuff.

I think this is the wrong move for them to make, in the end. The Curse Client was useful and convenient. It's why people got into using it. I doubt many people new people will be tempted to install this new thing, that weren't accustom to the old Curse Client. So this move seems short-sighted.

While everyone is screwed out of WoW right now, what is everyone's opinion of the new curse client / twitch app that was forced down everyone's throats?

Personally I absolutely detest it, between it trying to run in the background constantly, downloading the Twitch streaming app, trying to link to my steam account every time I open it, the links from the website now being broken (can only download in the app, not from the webpage), the app using tons more memory then the previous version, and on and on and on...
    i cannot even stay connected to it. it keeps telling me it lost internet contection.

- - - Updated - - -

Odd, this thread disappeared for a couple minutes so I did some research and found:

MMO-Champion acquired by Curse
    There we go.

Press Release
    San Francisco, CA – July 19, 2010 – Curse, Inc. announced today the purchase of the #1 World of Warcraft news site, MMO-Champion.com. The site was bought from Major League Gaming for an undisclosed amount.

MMO-Champion is a natural fit for Curse which already possesses the largest repository of add-ons available for MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online) games such as World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online and Runes of Magic as well as extremely popular forums for Runescape, Aion and Final Fantasy XIV. The World of Warcraft news site attracts 7 million unique visitors and more than 80 million page views per month (Google Analytics WW, June 2010). The combination makes Curse the #1 MMO destination online.

“The acquisition of MMO-Champion markedly sets Curse apart from the competition,” said Hubert Thieblot, CEO and Founder. “Not only does the addition solidify Curse as the largest MMO destination on the web, but it plays a central role in delivering a complete Curse MMO solution. Curse is now the ultimate resource for MMO news, forums, databases, and add-ons.”

Gamers and advertisers alike will benefit greatly from MMO-Champion’s purchase by Curse. In the next few months, visitors can expect an updated page design and improved user experience. To insure the site’s strong content offering will not be compromised, Fabien Bonte, the site’s founder and administrator, will be joining the Curse staff as a full-time employee. Advertisers can take advantage of Curse’s extended reach into the core MMO market, making MMO gamers easier to connect with than ever. For more information about Curse and MMO-Champion, please visit www.curse.com.

So the same people that screwed Curse actually own MMO-Champ also.
    wow. that explains some of the moderator issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by veovis View Post
    Its shit that there was 0 notice. I turned my computer on the other day and I had a pop up saying "twitch is trying to modify your settings" I hit decline at the time because I had never installed anything from twitch.
    I did that three times the other day. now my curse client wont stay connected.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

The only dispute I have with it is whenever I want to update addons I have to sit and wait for a few minutes for the twitch bullshit to update, which in all honesty; I just want to update addons. I haven't even opened twitch in a couple months.
    Born too late to explore the earth
    Born too soon to explore the galaxy
    Born just in time to browse dank memes