Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    No. We wouldn't have a few tens of thousands of our citizens on bases that you own. We would be absolutely everywhere that mattered. In your media, on your internet, in your language, in space, above around. You'll never be rid of us.
    Then we'll work harder, until you are gone, or isolated. Every empire falls, as will yours.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    Yes, I am sure all those invasions have been out of the kind goodness of your heart. That's okay, you can rest now, take some care of yourself. There, there, shh, shh...
    US involvement in WW1 and WW2 was in the best interest of the world. I wish we would spend more on ourselves and less on other countries.

Then we'll work harder, until you are gone, or isolated. Every empire falls, as will yours.
    Torrenting should be called "The US culture bomb" cause that's what it is. You can start by banning torrenting.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Shit wouldn't hit the fan if you wouldn't keep throwing shit. You create conflicts through your rampant imperialism. The rest of the world suffers because of it.
    Ah yes, I remember when the United States triggered WW1 and WW2 with its rampant imperialism. That's definitely what happened

European wars of self immolation aside, I'm sure we all know just how peaceful the Middle East has historically been prior to American intervention. If there's anything the followers of Mohammad are known for, it's not starting wars of conquest.

And, of course, we all know that Japan isn't really the kind of nation that would ever want to engage in a war.

Deleted
    Shit wouldn't hit the fan if you wouldn't keep throwing shit. You create conflicts through your rampant imperialism. The rest of the world suffers because of it.
    You want to invade your neighbours.

No. We wouldn't have a few tens of thousands of our citizens on bases that you own. We would be absolutely everywhere that mattered. In your media, on your internet, in your language, in space, above around. You'll never be rid of us.
    Yes and this is a problem. That we are having this conversation in English is a problem. That American cultural influence completely supplanted our own cultures is a problem.

And that people like Slant make themselves house slaves and welcome American cultural enrichment and the destruction of our own civilization is the biggest problem of all.

And we can't do anything about it. Because you completely crippled our ability to fight back. At least the Middle East is doing something. At least they are not going quietly into the night.

All cultures are dying. The difference is ours does so happily. Fuck. Fuck.
    Last edited by Elba; 2017-04-16 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Ah yes, I remember when the United States triggered WW1 and WW2 with its rampant imperialism. That's definitely what happened

European wars of self immolation aside, I'm sure we all know just how peaceful the Middle East has historically been prior to American intervention. If there's anything the followers of Mohammad are known for, it's not starting wars of conquest.

And, of course, we all know that Japan isn't really the kind of nation that would ever want to engage in a war.
    The problem with the Middle East is that you keep stopping those fights. Let them fight. They obviously need to duke it out and decimate their population. It's good for the rest of the world, it's good for them. A little enlightenment never hurt anyone. And they absolutely need that cathartic experience of a little genocide in their midst.

It's time you stopped protecting idiots from themselves. Let them die.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

We're not an Empire. We're something new, different and enduring. An American Empire would look profoundly different. As I said, it's far more likely that the US starts spreading off world mid-century than anything else.

And you wouldn't succeed. The Soviets tried that. They failed too.

We're not an Empire. We're something new, different and enduring. An American Empire would look profoundly different. As I said, it's far more likely that the US starts spreading off world mid-century than anything else.

You're too optimistic. The US won't spread off-world. Not this century, at least.

Why? Ah, because the first space accident grilling a dozen or so astronauts in a giant ball of fire will put an instant halt to any of those efforts for another 10-20 years.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    US involvement in WW1 and WW2 was in the best interest of the world. I wish we would spend more on ourselves and less on other countries.
    In WWI you joined right at the ass-end, in WWII you did a decent job...once you actually got attacked yourselves. The issue is however not WWII, but the havoc you've wreaked since.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    The problem with the Middle East is that you keep stopping those fights. Let them fight. They obviously need to duke it out and decimate their population. It's good for the rest of the world, it's good for them. A little enlightenment never hurt anyone. And they absolutely need that cathartic experience of a little genocide in their midst.

It's time you stopped protecting idiots from themselves. Let them die.
    I have a strong bias towards non-interventionism and would broadly agree with that position. Syrians killing each other does not break my leg or pick my pocket - the only extent to which I care about these wars is the extent to which they impact American interests.

That said, my claim isn't that we're any good at intervening usefully in these internecine conflicts (we're usually not), it's that these conflicts have been simmering for millennia.

- - - Updated - - -

In WWI you joined right at the ass-end, in WWII you did a decent job...once you actually got attacked yourselves. The issue is however not WWII, but the havoc you've wreaked since.
    The post WWII world is essentially the post peaceful version of the world that has ever existed. Describing it as havoc is absurd.

There hasn't been another world war since we started policing in 1945, what are you talking about?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account

Don't kid yourself, you're an empire, and you're already creaking at the edges from decadence and the inequality that leaves increased numbers of your populace disenfranchised.

And while seeing the US gone from Earth and choking on toxic Martian dust is something I don't mind, I don't see you lasting long enough for that.

It's not America you have a problem with.
    It's Angela Merkel.

Yes and this is a problem. That we are having this conversation in English is a problem. That American cultural influence completely supplanted our own cultures is a problem.

And that people like Slant make themselves house slaves and welcome American cultural enrichment and the destruction of our own civilization is the biggest problem of all.

And we can't do anything about it. Because you completely crippled our ability to fight back. At least the Middle East is doing something. At least they are not going quietly into the night.

I made this quite clear to you my last post: losing wars has consequences. And you lost. Badly.

Due to the British Empire, then Pax Americana, English is the lingua franca. Not German. American culture has spread infectiously for decades. These are not accident's. It's because Germany lost the largest war in the history of man, the British Empire killed itself, and and the Soviet Union was strategically and patiently slain.

You're basically lamenting your fore-bearers fighting and losing. What's German for "You had your chance, and you blew it?".

The insanity of this of course is that the European Union is so mindboggling important, that if you realized what it could be, you'd drop your inane little whinefest about Germany's lost imperium. Spoilers: you got something way, way better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    There hasn't been another world war since we started policing in 1945, what are you talking about?
    Haven't been around lately, have you?

And while seeing the US gone from Earth and choking on toxic Martian dust is something I don't mind, I don't see you lasting long enough for that.
    It's kind of weird to see people talking shit from a position of abject weakness.

Go ahead, stop meddling in the rest of the world. The world won't mind. Use those funds to provide some proper healthcare and a decent social safety net for your citizens. Y'know, things that pretty much every western country but the US has.
    The world won't mind? What did the world and suddenly the Syrians ask for when they were supposedly hit by chemical weapons? They asked for the US's help and said "ONLY the US has the power to help us". So when something bad happens...the world cries for America to do something about it...like with the rise of ISIS and when the Russians started stomping around. When Saddam invaded Kuwait in 1990 the Kuwaiti government called upon NATO SPECIFICALLY the United STates...for help and to intervene. The world doesn't want us to be the "world police" until bad shit happens...then when we do..they bitch that we are "being the world police". I say we completely leave Europe to the Russians and let Asaad, Russians, and Iranians continue to bomb and kill people willingly and without ROE's. Let the world burn...and as they do they will do what they have done for the last century....cry for America to help and be the world police.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    You're too optimistic. The US won't spread off-world. Not this century, at least.

Why? Ah, because the first space accident grilling a dozen or so astronauts in a giant ball of fire will put an instant halt to any of those efforts for another 10-20 years.
    Nah not this time. Especially not with commercial space. Really important things have happened in the past two years. The situation has deeply changed.

Haven't been around lately, have you?
    Yes, we have and no..their has not been a world war since WW2. You're not very bright if you believe other wise because WW3 will make WW2 look like a tea party.