Poll: Who gave up more?

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Amirila View Post
    Choosing to fight isn't a sacrifice, if so then they'd still have sacfrificed less than the demon hunters. Because they did that and more
    They chose to fight what was a suicide mission basically. (That's exactly what Thassarian's mission was described as in game even)

That's a sacrifice. They gave their lives for their comrades, and even had their afterlife yanked from them.

Meanwhile, the PC DH and other Illidari haven't done...much at all. Even in the starting zone, you're still going around gathering your demonic abilities (Remember, you teach the others how to use metamorphosis, so I would say it's safe to say none of them have done much besides training). It's legitimately laughable to see them claim they sacrificed everything, while the most they did was invade a Legion world, and then get imprisoned along with Illidan at the Black Temple.

Not to mention, despite all their "sacrifice", they're pretty much doing the same as every other class overall even in terms of Class Hall Campaigns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is sad, but not enough
    Well it's a hell of a lot more than cutting out your eyes.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The difference between DH and DK is whether what they're currently going through is their choice or not.

DK's are going through the shit they do because it was forced on them and they're making the best of their bad hand to make a difference, which is noteworthy.

DH's on the other hand willingly chose to go through what they're going through to become and live as a Demon Hunter.

If we're talking sacrifice, the Demon Hunters win by default because the Death Knights didn't choose their fate it was handed to them so it wasn't a sacrifice, but the lives they live every day are likely similarly painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    They chose to fight what was a suicide mission basically. (That's exactly what Thassarian's mission was described as in game even)

That's a sacrifice. They gave their lives for their comrades, and even had their afterlife yanked from them.

Meanwhile, the PC DH and other Illidari haven't done...much at all. Even in the starting zone, you're still going around gathering your demonic abilities (Remember, you teach the others how to use metamorphosis, so I would say it's safe to say none of them have done much besides training). It's legitimately laughable to see them claim they sacrificed everything, while the most they did was invade a Legion world, and then get imprisoned along with Illidan at the Black Temple.

Not to mention, despite all their "sacrifice", they're pretty much doing the same as every other class overall even in terms of Class Hall Campaigns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Well it's a hell of a lot more than cutting out your eyes.
    As Friendly Immolation mentioned, the Illidan book explains a bigger extent to what they'e sacrificed. It's really not just cutting out your eyes. And in the DK starting zone you get your abilties as you go as well, so that doesn't have to be a perfect example

The four horsemen are exceptions, I'd say. All other Death Knights that we know of (including player DKs) were raised by the Lich King.

Besides, I'd say Mograine was fine with being brought back. He sacrificed himself (see that word?) to preserve the Ebon Blade.
    If the four horsemen are exceptions then so is Illidan, he gave up his life and his suffering was over. Highly doubt he wanted to be brought back again, it was also the LK's plan so it wasn't so much a sacrifice as he forced into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I'm fairly sure plenty of people die during war without choosing to do so. The Demon Hunters win the competition of Edge.
    And again, Death Knights exist in a constant state of torture.

So not only did they give their lives (worse than cutting out your eyes,) not only were they forced to commit atrocities against their will (worse than "seeing crazy stuff,") they CONTINUE to exist in a state of constant pain.

And why? Because instead of angsting themselves to death like Sylvanas did once, they continue to fight, despite knowing what they did, because they believe the world is still worth saving, despite all the shit they had to suffer, and continue to suffer, through.

But you are correct in saying that Death Knights are a hell of a lot more chill about it than Demon hunters.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    Lol read the Illidan book.

What DH's do to themselves leaves them insane/ sometimes gibbering and often end up killing themselves.

Their eyes are often gouged out in an attempt to get the images they see out of their head.
    Same thing happens to Death Knights as well. They didn't write a book about it so of course it isn't as obviously. There was a DK in ICC who sold you tier armor who willingly blinded himself due to the horrors he saw committed.

Quote Originally Posted by Colactic View Post
    I as a Warlock feel incredibly offended. I have sacrificed way more than any DH or DK. Admittedly it wasn't my sacrifice, I sacrificed other people. But still, I have sacrificed more.
    Warlocks literally wrote the grimoire on sacrifice.

As Friendly Immolation mentioned, the Illidan book explains a bigger extent to what they'e sacrificed. It's really not just cutting out your eyes. And in the DK starting zone you get your abilties as you go as well, so that doesn't have to be a perfect example
    Except those are also freshly raised DKs, so that kinda supports the argument (Although they got rid of that since the talent revamp I'm pretty sure, since it was originally that you got talent points as quest rewards and now the talent system is completely different).

They still haven't done anything to prove that their "sacrifice" was worth it, and you're also heavily downplaying how much of a sacrifice your life is to give, since keep in mind, they weren't doing it for greater power or anything like the Demon Hunters were.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    Can't help but find it funny that every time I talk to a DH NPC they say "I have sacrificed everything, what have YOU given!?".

Bitch, I'm an Undead Death Knight.
    My family (presumably) died to the plague during Warcraft III. I myself died.
    Then I was raised against my will as a Forsaken.
    Then I died again, and was raised against my will by the Lich King.
    Then I was forced to kill what few friends I had left in the starting area.
    It isn't much of a sacrifice if you were forced to do it. DKs have sacrificed their life, which in itself is a pretty big deal, but everything else was stuff they couldn't prevent.
    Demon hunters, on the other hand, willingly chose to become exiles, strangers to their own people, abominations in the eyes of many.

The average demon hunter sacrificed more than the average death knight. However, there should be many DKs who knew what awaited them if they died fighting the Scourge, and still chose to do it. That, in my opinion, is a greater sacrifice than what the huge majority of DHs have done.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalodrei View Post
    you didnt sacrifice anything as a DK, it wasnt your choice . Dhs sacrifice their lives on their own choice , they even burn their eyes.
    well some dks did kinda sacriface their free will for power from the LK and became a dk due that.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    They chose to lay down their lives in defense of their homelands against the scourge.
    Everyone goes into battle realizing they can die. DH know they can be consumed by demons in the nether if they die.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Except those are also freshly raised DKs, so that kinda supports the argument (Although they got rid of that since the talent revamp I'm pretty sure, since it was originally that you got talent points as quest rewards and now the talent system is completely different).

They still haven't done anything to prove that their "sacrifice" was worth it, and you're also heavily downplaying how much of a sacrifice your life is to give, since keep in mind, they weren't doing it for greater power or anything like the Demon Hunters were.
    WOuldn't it be fair to compare newly risen dks to new demon hunters, as we are doing. Neither has sacrificed much. DKs sacrificed their lives fighting the Scourge (which would be for the greater good) while DHs sacrificed a lot as well

WOuldn't it be fair to compare newly risen dks to new demon hunters, as we are doing. Neither has sacrificed much. DKs sacrificed their lives fighting the Scourge (which would be for the greater good) while DHs sacrificed a lot as well
    Except DK's major sacrifice comes from BEFORE becoming a DK.

Except DK's major sacrifice comes from BEFORE becoming a DK.
    The sacrifice to fight in a war, as every class has done

Except they didn't actually sacrifice their lives yet. The death part (on a suicide mission) is the key point here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    Everyone goes into battle realizing they can die. DH know they can be consumed by demons in the nether if they die.
    There's "could," and there's "did"

Demon Hunters "could"

Death Knights "did"

- - - Updated - - -

And I mean, you could also poke your eyes out in a war, what with all those swords and all.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Except they didn't actually sacrifice their lives yet. The death part (on a suicide mission) is the key point here.
    Wasn't it only Thassarian that was on a suicide mission?
    And I mean, you could also poke your eyes out in a war, what with all those swords and all.
    I think you're a bit too caught up on the fact with their eyes

And all of the wars fought before and after the scourge did not hold the same weight as what the death knights dealt with. There is no fear of dying to the Legion. I've seen plenty of lore characters kills by demons. Varian, Vol'jin, nameless NPCs... they just die. They get the peace of death. Dying is no sacrifice to them because it means that they fought for the things they held dear and now get the peace of death forever after fighting for a good cause. Death Knights did not and will never.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you're a bit too caught up on the fact with their eyes
    That's about the only thing I really see them having sacrificed.

Pun intended.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.