Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Do you find it interesting that it would lead to no biological women being able to win in women's sports? How does that intersect with feminism, in your view?
    Wouldn't they have to pass the same drug tests other athletes would? Wouldn't they fail said drug tests due to elevated testosterone levels?

Reminds me of a story about a man who was taught by his mother that he and his family identifies as Native American, when they are really just Mexicans. Then the story goes on to say how he gets a girlfriend and into college because of it.

There's a point when the game of self identity goes to far.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Reminds me of a story about a man who was taught by his mother that he and his family identifies as Native American, when they are really just Mexicans. Then the story goes on to say how he gets a girlfriend and into college because of it.

Aren't Mexicans technically Native Americans?

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    No, it's a view that is held by a minority on the left. Don't make stupid generalizations. Attack the idea, not the people associated with it (many by several degrees of separation).

As someone far to the left, I think it's stupid that biological males are allowed to compete with biological females in sports. Hormonal supplementation should also be considered an excluding factor for competitive sports, no matter which way you're supplementing.
    Does it have to be an excluding factor? Couldn't there just be different classifications like with weight but applied to testosterone?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneezeburger View Post
    Basically because people use one in a million cases such as these as a pretext to deny meaningful protections to LGBT individuals.
    I'm really curious about what protections you're talking about, i'm not american so I don't know what you're referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Wouldn't they have to pass the same drug tests other athletes would? Wouldn't they fail said drug tests due to elevated testosterone levels?
    I reckon they can say "Here is my doctors note" and get a pass.

There is. But until trans people achieve something even remotely resembling social equality, I'm not going to concern myself with anecdotal evidence of that one time that one guy did that one thing that was pretty silly.

Everyone knows that progressives hate sports and will try to ruin them, unless its soccer. Somebody got to that one first.

Deleted
    Many fighting sports already divide the competition within genders based on physique, maybe that will become a thing to solve the dilemma between transgender equality and competitive integrity of physical sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    At a time when it's contentious in many circles to suggest that trans people are people just like you or me and that they deserve the same basic protection and respect, fixating on school sports is just a distraction. If you want to worry about that, more power to you, but it's putting the cart before the horse.
    I disagree. We need to address issues in their entirety, and there's no reason why we can't do so. In fact, ignoring issues created by social rights pushes only gives the neanderthals more fuel for the fire. I'm continually amazed that so many people seem incapable of engaging with entire issues instead of the bits of them that they think are most important. The reality is that what is important to individuals varies widely across society; telling other people their views are irrelevant next to issue X only serves to slow progress, not help it. You build societal consensus through engaging on the whole issue, not the bits considered most expedient by the loudest voices.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    At a time when it's contentious in many circles to suggest that trans people are people just like you or me and that they deserve the same basic protection and respect, fixating on school sports is just a distraction. If you want to worry about that, more power to you, but it's putting the cart before the horse.
    Can we not hold two issues in our heads at once? Why is it wrong to consider the feelings of girls sports participants across the board? Why is there some sort of Orwellian pecking order, for whose rights are allowed to stop those of others?

Conservatives blaming "leftists" are basically the meme of the Ancient Aliens guy saying "aliens" at this point.
    It is the leftists fault though. You campaigned on gender "equality" rather than economics. You campaigned on "women are now suddenly physically and psychologically the same as men because it is 2016+" as if suddenly womens genetics have changed and they suddenly became stronger and faster.

Now it is acceptable (rather than shunned and looked down upon as it should be) for a boy who thinks he is a girl to compete against girls and not only beat them all but shatter the record. Suddenly, it is ok for a girl to take steroids and compete against other people not on steroids and call it "fair game" because the boy/girl is struggling with identity issues.

These things are NOT normal and they are NOT ok. I know Endus is pissed right now but the truth hurts, bud. Boys don't compete against girls because it isn't fair and athletes don't take steroids because it is illegal and gives an unfair advantage as said in the OP.
    Fuck your feelings, Endus.

Keep it civil
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-04-17 at 02:20 AM.

The article is about current youth sports, where no such testing is done.

Aren't Mexicans technically Native Americans?
    In the eyes of the public, there's a world of difference between them. His girlfriend promptly broke up with him upon learning he was actually Mexican, saying she couldn't be seen dating him.

It was on NPR, could probably find it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Safol View Post
    I'm really curious about what protections you're talking about, i'm not american so I don't know what you're referring to.
    Well, some of the big things are prohibiting discrimination based on gender identity, allowing use of bathrooms appropriate to an individual's gender identity, ensuring that transgender prisoners are assigned to appropriate prisons (I acknowledge that this is not the easiest problem to solve), and requiring insurance companies to cover transition-related medical care.

I'm sure there are plenty I'm missing, but again, those are just a few of the big things.

Deleted
    STOP mixing politics with social issues! It's an absurd thing to say.

Beeing a left wing supporter is not tied to Social views on equality. It has to do with the state and how to run it. Completely different topics!

This is because of your dumb 2 party system isn't it? Whatever one party says in social issues you assume is what the whole wing says. Ergh... america.
    Last edited by mmoc80be7224cc; 2017-04-17 at 12:09 AM.

Was that person's name Elizabeth Warren?

Sorry, couldn't resist....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    High school sports are really not important.
    Are the feelings of high school girls not relevant at all? This seems at odds with feminism.

There is. But until trans people achieve something even remotely resembling social equality, I'm not going to concern myself with anecdotal evidence of that one time that one guy did that one thing that was pretty silly.
    So inequality and special privileges are ok because of perceived social standing in society? Where have I heard that same logic before...

because trans people don't deserve social equality. I don't advocate to hurt/injure them but it should NOT be socially acceptable. Believe it or not the majority of people believe the same exact thing. The only ones who don't are the weirdo extreme leftists who think that change for the sake of change is the right way to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Few would argue that the right is the side of favoring LGBT issues.

Wow, it seems that headline is really provocative for some reason. I didn't expect that to an issue. I just found the article to be interesting. /shrug
    Was just joking!

I don't think this is a relevant argument, to be honest. The question "Should women and men compete in the same pool?" I would answer with "Yes and no". Women who want to compete against men and men who want to compete against women are free to do so. Professional leagues can set up their own rules on who can or who cannot compete. It all should be up to the individuals and the organizations. Sure, most leagues allowing both genders to compete will be dominated by men, due to the physical superiority - which is totally fine. If someone is unhappy with it, they may seek another league to compete in.

It is obvious that transwomen are going to have certain physical advantage in certain sports over ciswomen. Should they compete together? Again, up to them and to the organizations funding the competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    STOP mixing politics with social issues! It's an absurd thing to say.

Beeing a left wing supporter is not tied to Social views on equality. It has to do with the state and how to run it. Completely different topics!
    Dude, that's all the leftist have been screaming. While the world was burning the left was screaming about "gender equality" and "trans rights". Gtf outta here, lol