Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    "..fail to block native ads that look like normal content" <-- isn't that called a REASONABLE ad ?

If all ads fell into that category, I'd not have a problem with them.

Anyway - noone uses Adblock any more now that uBlock Origin does more with far fewer problems.
    Ads made to look like normal content are done to trick people into clicking them. There is nothing reasonable about them.

Quote Originally Posted by sztyrymytyry View Post
    Source: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...king-arms-race

Finally a lightweight solution that can block any cancer, including those Facebook ones!. Yey!
    I'm confused, what facebook ones? I don't get facebook ads unless you mean the "Trending" section?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    There is nothing reasonable about them.
    All content ads or otherwise is there to attract attention, if you are easily tricked into clicking things - that is not an issue with the ad

What I want to be able to do is read the web page without distraction, if the advertising is quiet and text just like the normal content and doesn't send my details to a foreign server - then that's a good thing.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

All content ads or otherwise is there to attract attention, if you are easily tricked into clicking things - that is not an issue with the ad

What I want to be able to do is read the web page without distraction, if the advertising is quiet and text just like the normal content and doesn't send my details to a foreign server - then that's a good thing.
    The ads being referred to are not there to attract attention. That is the point. They are intentionally made to look like a normal part of the site content and designed to trick people that think they are simply going to another area on the website into clinking on them. That is one reason why laws were made regarding the labeling of ads.

The ads being referred to are not there to attract attention. That is the point.
    Exactly the point ... advertising that is native to the site isn't a security risk and advertising that is quiet plain content like the rest isn't a distraction from the rest of the site.

Makes life easier for the end user - should be promoted. Matter of fact - I think some anti-ad software does promote it.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You know, it's actually in everyone's best interests that we keep our mouths shut and don't encourage normal people to use ad blockers. Let's just do it ourselves and let non-technical people subsidise the internet.

Otherwise we'll end up devaluing things like Google ads that pay for a lot of shit on the internet. That drives advertiser dollars away from the open model to more closed ones. Nobody wants that.
    I'll support Google when they stop turning YT into a private network and give it back to the YTers. Until then, fuck their ads.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind ads if they weren't so obstructive. I'm looking at you MMO-Champ every time my adblocker breaks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    I'll support Google when they stop turning YT into a private network and give it back to the YTers. Until then, fuck their ads.
    The problem with YT is that there is no competition. Vimeo is niche and Liveleak is beginner smut. Any other platform might as well not exist.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Exactly the point ... advertising that is native to the site isn't a security risk and advertising that is quiet plain content like the rest isn't a distraction from the rest of the site.

Makes life easier for the end user - should be promoted. Matter of fact - I think some anti-ad software does promote it.
    No one said anything about native to the site. I can create an ad that looks like part of any website.

No one said anything about native to the site.
    Well, apart from the original post... which I was responding to. Not sure what you are responding to.

Well, apart from the original post... which I was responding to. Not sure what you are responding to.
    The article the OP linked is talking about ads made to look like part of a website. Not ads that the website owner placed there.

The article the OP linked is talking about ads made to look like part of a website.
    Come back when you have read the entire post the OP made...

"..fail to block native ads that look like normal content" <-- isn't that called a REASONABLE ad ?

If all ads fell into that category, I'd not have a problem with them.

Anyway - noone uses Adblock any more now that uBlock Origin does more with far fewer problems.
    I dunno, man. Is it really reasonable when someone makes normal content (like, say, a post on MMO-C) that just leads up to an advertisement for the delicious taste of Mountain Dew and Doritos which you can pick up at your local retailer? Would you really want to read through what appears to be a well thought-out post that turns out to just be a paid promotion? Of course you would, because PepsiCo™ only makes top quality products that members of the "nerd culture" such as myself thoroughly enjoy.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    Would you really want to read through what appears to be a well thought-out post that turns out to just be a paid promotion?
    No, I never mentioned changing the LOCATION of the advertising - just the NATURE.

Ads in the same spot, however they are:
    1. Natively hosted to avoid private information spillage
    2. Quiet if on a site that is normally quiet
    3. Non-animated if on a site where content is non animated.

That is - native to the site, and same style as the site.

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    It's too late for that, advertisers are already pulling out of Youtube (which they can do separately from Google).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyway, had anyone added full-fledged ad-block to this addon? I'd like to see ad-based media, which relies on outrage and clickbait to get ad revenue, burn and crash.

I've been using ad blockers for so long that I can't even imagine going back to the way the web was before. I'd pretty much only ever go to websites out of absolute necessity. (I'd arguably be a lot more productive then, but eh.)