Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Simple: a system of decently implemented user-created content. Not affecting the overall balance, but providing a good, fun and time-consuming activity. This is, in my opinion, what really makes Starcraft 2 live still, 7 years since the release, when most people have given up on the serious matchmaking, but a lot of folks, like me, still log in regularly to have some fun.

When users create a fun, meaningful content for you, you can sit back and reap the benefits without having to decimate the gameplay in favor of pointless time-sinking grinds.

Something like this was attempted in Neverwinter Online, as I understand, but didn't quite work out because of a flawed design.

Well, I was just describing my experiences; I definitely don't expect all the developers to suddenly start making content intended for my personal tastes.
    Sorry, I rephrase cause wow, I didn't think we would try to go to another galaxy with a Fiat Panda.

Can you give a practical *feasible* example that devs could actually have a slight chance to be able to implement without completing rewriting the engine and or run the risk to literally break everything in the process?

WoW is too old now to jam in user created content, and the infrastructure that would be necessary to do the change to the core engine, the establishment of a specific QA (unless you want just pigs and dogs to jam stuff into the game, and no I would not leave it to "the players" as it's would not end up being self contained bullshit and there may be the risk of character corruption or similar shit happening) the increase in hacks team resources to avoid well code being written that would end up increasing the system vulnerabilities, the creation of sufficiently user friendly tools, implementing an architecture of servers and storage to host all the art, assets and shit that several million players can upload, complete restructuring of reward system or creation of an ad hoc one (because we all know that WoW players will do jack all if there isn't some kind of reward involved) I can go on.. I'm not even entering into the merit of the possible legal quagmire tied to the use of user content in a subscription game.

Maybe if WoW2 will become ever a thing, it would be possible, but I doubt it as Blizzard really like firm grasp and control in his MMO, so unless there's a philosophy change there..

On a note: Subterrean Games (War for the Overworld) almost went bankrupt because they wanted to create the game with modding tools in mind and they had to not do that. Obviously it's a smaller company with smaller competences (but they also had a game with smaller scope) but goes way in explaining how *hard* is even when the game is *in development* to implement that stuff.

Also for SC2 is easy, cause there's no real progression involved, but in MMOs.. oh joy.. and yes I'm aware that D&D online had that, but there was no real QA and I ended up having to browse through a truckton of shit to get to the good ones

I think you're smarter than "OMG UGC IS TEH SOLUTION" as an universal solution, like you were working at Bethesda.
    Last edited by mmoc89084f456c; 2017-04-17 at 02:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Blizz doesn't want people to expect faster/better content then perhaps they should quit fucking going on about how their WoW team is bigger than ever and their plans for faster content.

A novel concept, I know.

Deleted
    I actually don't care how fast they can push out content, i care about the longevity of said content, if i burn through a patch in five hours in a monthly paid mmorpg I'm gonna call that piece of content useless if i waited months for it. I prefer quality on things I'm gonna do over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    I guess I can claim you are smoking some good shit as well, but let's keep it civil.
    You're smoking some good shit if you think "hundreds" of developers are taking months to create content in WoW patches.

Even entire WoW expansions which take years to make are paling in both scope and content compared to your average AAA game.

But I guess people think repeatable, gated and reskins = zomg so much content, so many devs!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    I think part of the problem nowadays is that too many developers over promise and under deliver on said content.

It's one thing for gamers to have unrealistic expectations. It's another thing entirely for developers to promise the moon to their playerbase and then fall flat on their faces.....repeatedly. Some examples that come to mind are: Bioware with SWTOR, Arenanet with GW2, and Carbine with Wildstar.
    IMO BioWares early launch promises with SW:ToR were spot on, they delivered a phenomenal story driven MMO that has, IMO, the best leveling experience from 1-to cap than any other MMO out there. The issues came from it having a very limited end game, not that it was a bad game.

People are way too accepting of Blizzard's content releases, imo. Blizzard has a game with millions of subscribers, it's not some free game with like 50k people spending money occasionally.

They put out good dungeons, from time to time, sure-- but why not add all sorts of cool things consistently, why have weird gaps at the end of expansions where nothing happens?

Some times it feels like Blizzard goes through the motions, and doesn't try to get creative. Dungeons, raid tier, new 'hub', raid tier, end. /shrug

After 10+ years, I don't really care much about the game anymore, but it never really felt like they wanted to try to experiment much, with what content they released.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    People are way too accepting of Blizzard's content releases, imo. Blizzard has a game with millions of subscribers, it's not some free game with like 50k people spending money occasionally.

They put out good dungeons, from time to time, sure-- but why not add all sorts of cool things consistently, why have weird gaps at the end of expansions where nothing happens?

Some times it feels like Blizzard goes through the motions, and doesn't try to get creative. Dungeons, raid tier, new 'hub', raid tier, end. /shrug

After 10+ years, I don't really care much about the game anymore, but it never really felt like they wanted to try to experiment much, with what content they released.
    Timeless Isle was an experiment and even other things they do. Sometimes it works other times it doesn't. I don't really think MMO-Champion has the best grasp on what Blizzard does.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    You're smoking some good shit if you think "hundreds" of developers are taking months to create content in WoW patches.

Even entire WoW expansions which take years to make are paling in both scope and content compared to your average AAA game.

But I guess people think repeatable, gated and reskins = zomg so much content, so many devs!
    Sure, much less content than CoD, BF, Battlefront, ... You know all your typical AAA games.
    And I guess as you prefer hating on a company instead of acknowledging real numbers and statistics, me explaining furthermore more wouldn't help either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard is very slow compared to most other companies. Just look at Diablo 3 verssu PoE and you will get a good picture. It takes years for new stuff.

But to think of it, the smaller the company and/or less corporate teh company is, the faster you get new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post

The gap is important at the end of an expansion. It's the buffer for slower/smaller/less capable players and guilds to work their way as far as they can into the expansion's content. Once the new one drops, very few keep working on the older stuff. Blizzard has talked many times what they think a comfortable margin is, and agree that the SOO gap was not acceptable, and that they were looking at pacing a lot harder in Legion. It's a tough call - don't give players enough time, they don't have time to get everything done - give too much time, everyone runs out of stuff to do.

I don't agree that they don't care, they just care about different things than you do, and their vision of the game is different. I prefer the TBC/Wrath model, where everything got attention and content - professions, pvp, raids, dungeons, leveling. Now everything is skewed towards raids, mythic grinding, and rated pvp. Professions are pale shadows of what they once were. leveling is now an annoyance to get through as fast as possible. It's not the game I want to play - it's the game THEY want to play.

If they tried to break out of the tier/raid model...it would be ugly. Very ugly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

So, you're just going to ignore the post I made to you, showing you Stockton telling Polygon that 235 people are on the WoW team, huh? And keep running with your childish comments?