Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I continue to be amazed that people think Best Korea is a threat to the US army. The last time they fought in a war was when? The last time they fought us? They have no experience, inferior equipment, inferior strategy, and inferior moral standing. They are only a threat to their neighbors while we land.
    Well, when they were doing the fighting they immediately got backed up to the Chinese border. The remainder of the war was fought by the Chinese on their behalf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

I don't know what you are on about. My point is fuck rebuilding them. Can anyone honestly say, that the world is a better place because we rebuilt Iraq? What was the point? I hope we never do it again. My stance is, don't go in unless they really deserve it, and then leave and let them sort it out. Maybe they will hate you forever, but they will think twice about acting up again. I just have zero faith ANYTHING is gained by rebuilding a nation bloodthirsty killers. The Iraqi people have no good will towards us. You cannot walk down their streets at night in a US military uniform, unarmed and alone. Fuck these people. They are not worth our blood and treasure.
    In this case it was really stupid to spend trillions of dollars to invade them and rebuild them in a suitable image, isn'it ?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know what you are on about. My point is fuck rebuilding them. Can anyone honestly say, that the world is a better place because we rebuilt Iraq? What was the point? I hope we never do it again. My stance is, don't go in unless they really deserve it, and then leave and let them sort it out. Maybe they will hate you forever, but they will think twice about acting up again. I just have zero faith ANYTHING is gained by rebuilding a nation bloodthirsty killers. The Iraqi people have no good will towards us. You cannot walk down their streets at night in a US military uniform, unarmed and alone. Fuck these people. They are not worth our blood and treasure.
    Why, exactly, Iraqis desserved to be destroyed ? What Iraqis had done to Americans ? (Killing Shias and Kurds by hundred of thousands ? That would be a very good answer, except that making sure Shias and Kurds are not killed is not done by killing Sunnis)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    the cost of getting that entire peninsula up on it's feet after the the dust settles is enough to make me not want to get involved at all.
    The longer the current status quo remains, the higher is the chance tha NK will actually gain nukes and missiles to carry them.

And the cost will be much higher then.

NK is no military threat to the US. It is a HUGE political threat, though. Even the slightest mistake could have grave consequences. Not even talking about the threat that NK is to South Korea, which is an important foothold for the "western world" in that region. NK is one of the worst shitholes to be born in because China still allows them to be. Once Beijing pulls the plug, they're done.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2017-04-18 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    NK is no military thread to the US. It is a HUGE political threat, though. Even the slightest mistake could have grave consequences. Not even talking about the threat that NK is to South Korea, which is an important foothold for the "western world" in that region. NK is one of the worst shitholes to be born in because China still allows them to be. Once Beijing pulls the plug, they're done.
    And Bejing will never do that, because they will have American military bases near the borders.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I continue to be amazed that people think Best Korea is a threat to the US army. The last time they fought in a war was when? The last time they fought us? They have no experience, inferior equipment, inferior strategy, and inferior moral standing. They are only a threat to their neighbors while we land.
    In 1950, people like you said exactly the same thing.

Desperate farmers with guns in 2017 are as dangerous as back in 1950. US weapons were far superior already in 1950, but that does not help if a whole nation is armed and desperate. The only options are to nuke the whole country away (destroying the whole planet with radiation), or put them under the cheese dome.

The idea that a nation with fully armed civilians cannot be conquered by military means is not even a Korean invention. It is part of the US constitution.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Ah, the good old Roman-style punitive campaign. Funny though, how they seemed to keep fighting those wars against the same enemies, despite "winning" all of them, and how each time they'd come back with a bloodier nose than the last.
    Really? Which wars have we lost recently?
    And by enemies you mean bands of terrorists and rebels from devastated regions with no real way of causing significant damage to our infrastructure.
    We don't fight wars, we just stomped 3rd world shitholes (deeper) into the ground. If anything is bloody is our fists and boots, we suffer from pummelling fatigue more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    And by enemies you mean bands of terrorists and rebels from devastated regions with no real way of causing significant damage to our infrastructure.
    We don't fight wars, we just stomped 3rd world shitholes (deeper) into the ground. If anything is bloody is our fists and boots, we suffer from pummelling fatigue more than anything else.
    But why then do you pummel the said countries to the ground ? W-H-Y ? (hint : because it kill hundred of thousands of people there, which is of course a fun and amusing goal for the usual suspects, it kill hundred of Americans, it cost trillions of dollars, and it does not stabilize at all the area)

I mean, it's really not very hard to understand, isn'it ? If you don't want to reconstruct it, DON'T DESTROY IT.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan.

Yes, it still count as a loss if you kill more people than they did. Yes.
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2017-04-18 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I'm not saying Jihadist ideologies didn't exist previously, but a bunch of people didn't one day go "you know what'd be great? To go kill ourselves trying to take out the US for no reason."

As far as Jihadists are concerned, it's pretty easy to sell their ideology of "the west hates you and Islam, and indiscriminately kill you and your family" when they can point to people from the west hating on Islam and indiscriminately killing people. It doesn't even matter if the Jihadists are doing more killing of innocent people than "western forces" are so long as they can sell their narrative to enough people to keep their numbers going.

Taking wide, sweeping scorched-earth action to fight rebellions and uprisings usually only serves to create more rebels. It's completely foolish to think the US can "roll in and stomp them out" when that sort of thing hasn't worked once in the past 70 years. Hell it didn't even work in Korea the first time.
    Yet, it's even more foolish to let an insane dictator who has nuclear weapons to develop the ability to strike the US with them.

Of course, it does not strike you that he is going to use them if invaded. On South Korea and Japan. Those are not really people, they don't count.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    In this case it was really stupid to spend trillions of dollars to invade them and rebuild them in a suitable image, isn'it ?

- - - Updated - - -

Why, exactly, Iraqis desserved to be destroyed ? What Iraqis had done to Americans ? (Killing Shias and Kurds by hundred of thousands ? That would be a very good answer, except that making sure Shias and Kurds are not killed is not done by killing Sunnis)
    Don't mistake me for someone who thinks the Iraq war was good for America. My point, is that rebuilding them, and trying to bridge the ensuing occupation to a new democratic government of the Iraqi people, turned out to be completely pointless to American interests. If we had just left after we dug Saddam out of that hole, the world would be no less safe than it is now. We spent trillions on NOTHING of value.

Again, why invade Iraq in the first place ?

Yes, Americans, you win, easily even, the first part of most modern wars-invasion. You tend to lose, badly, at the second phase (reconstruction).

Is second phase thankless, costly, hard to perform ?

Hell yes. But if you can't do the second phase of a boss fight, stellar performance during the first phase is not useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Annu View Post
    In 1950, people like you said exactly the same thing.

Desperate farmers with guns in 2017 are as dangerous as back in 1950. US weapons were far superior already in 1950, but that does not help if a whole nation is armed and desperate. The only options are to nuke the whole country away (destroying the whole planet with radiation), or put them under the cheese dome.

The idea that a nation with fully armed civilians cannot be conquered by military means is not even a Korean invention. It is part of the US constitution.
    I would love to see your source for the fact that an oppressed populace is all armed with machine guns. What are you on about?

Or, option three: Kick their asses, piss on their graves, then go home. We need to stop feeling guilty for winning wars. Just sayin...
    Wow, what a callous thing to say. You must be fun at parties.
    Its almost like you don't understand that the internet remembers everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Its almost like you don't understand that the internet remembers everything.
    You are equating terrorists to US soldiers now? Interesting moral equivalence.

You are equating terrorists to US soldiers now? Interesting moral equivalence.
    People are people. And you accused someone of being callous for being sympathetic to South Koreans.

You can't win with North Korea. They would fold like a cheep table but it would still cause a staggering swarm of refugees and would kill thousands of South Koreans in the process.

But I guess all that matters in the end is you getting your jollies whilst the U.S. bombs the shit out of something.