Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by THCRaven View Post
    You don't need legs nor top ap to perform decently in raid, so it is not a excuse to play other classes or specs...
    You are right I don't NEED them but I also don't want to bring down my raid from a drastic drop in dps.

Quote Originally Posted by vitor210 View Post
    I'm curious, why is monk the least played class? I thought they were pretty cool
    Pretty sure it's because lolpandas. People don't want to touch anything associated with MoP, which was obviously nothing but kung fu panda, and totally childish and completely out of place in a game with cow people and gnomes.

It probably does fairly accurately show TRENDS for the type of players that like to be on large realms. Sure, it will go up and down with player activity. That does not mean that it is ever accurately reflecting percent change in activity or sub count. Yes, it will show if activity is dropping or rising sharply on large servers. It will not give any good indication if numbers are the same as WoD overall. It will only show if large servers are trending similarly. Another factor hurting this will be the time of day the players with the addon are on the server I would assume. Unless you have lots of people sampling all hours of the day - the sample set might not be good enough.

TLDR: good for general trends on large pop servers probably (sharply decreasing, slowly increasing...), but probably not accurate enough for much else. Too many variables in how the samples are collected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orwell7 View Post
    The addon does a /who periodically, and records all characters online at the "moment", but usually it takes a good 15-20 minutes to collect all players.
    Yes, /who only results 50 characters, but the addon uses all available paramters of /who to get as accurate as possible. Eg: -race blood elf, -level 110, -class mage, -starts with letter "a" and so on.

It creates a database where you can see all the characters with names if you want.
    The output for the first run is usually: found 3650 characters, 3650 new added, but if you let it run for a week, you get 1-10 new characters per run.

It is ABSOLUTELY accurate. Of course one person cannot gather 100% data from a server/faction in a day, but multiple persons running it constantly for MONTHS will get you a close to 100% data of active players.
    So if it simply tracks characters and not accounts. Doesn't that mean in a world where few are playing a large number of alts it would show a reduced number of players?
    In legion many are foregoing alts to work on the AP/Legendary grind. In contrast many in warlords were making dozens of alts for more garrison gold. I don't know about the typical player but I know multiple people that went from 8-11 max level 'active' characters to only 2-4 when legion rolled around.
    This might pretty easily explain what is shown as a loss of players when in fact it is a loss of alternate characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hyphnos View Post
    Of course it would, but it wouldn't up the number of hours the compulsive gamblers play trying to fill out the last few slots via slot machine. Putting in time for a guaranteed reward is apparently an alien concept to the Blizzard devs. If only they got paid that way as well...
    But see the stupid weapon is just a huge time sink for a guaranteed reward. The developers at one point stated that if they put the legendaries on a vendor it would just be a grind but the artifact weapon isnt? No fucking consistency
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    But see the stupid weapon is just a huge time sink for a guaranteed reward. The developers at one point stated that if they put the legendaries on a vendor it would just be a grind but the artifact weapon isnt? No fucking consistency
    You're right. But as long as you keep slot targetting RNG based, then you up playtime - the legendary weapon is just an elaboratized version of the MoP and WoD legendaries that they discovered some people would do without. This way everyone has to play the legendary grind plus RNG everything else which all adds up to ridiculous time inputs, which is what they want since apparently the stock market measure for gaming companies now is essentially "how much of your customers time can you consume".

Quote Originally Posted by Phaty View Post
    dota doesnt have much of a population anymore, not more than dota 2 wish is far newer, and it peaked a year ago and has lost subs ever since then, 1,291,328 march 2016 to 923,911 today. counter strike has lost over half its player base since 2012, 53,967 july 2012 down to 25,525 today. LoL is the only one thats increased, it also happens to be a free game that can be played on any computer and is quick matches, so a player can log in to play 1 match a day for 30 min and it still counts toward their active players. not comparable to a MMO. matter of fact, none of the games you listed are comparable to a MMO. so i dodnt know where you got this "survived for years with an ever-increasing population" from
    I think the person you were replying to meant DOTA 2 since he mentioned LOL in the same sentence. DOTA 2 has a healthy and stable playerbase of 500k-650k average users for about the last 2 1/2 years:

http://steamcharts.com/app/570

Also if you listen to the PR BS that the WOW dev team spews this xpac is meant for ALL play types, even those who only have a half hour per day. The reality of the systems they have implemented is, of course, a different story and unappealing to a large amount of players and now former players.

Warcraftrealms is absolutely not accurate. Pretty much the only thing it reflects is that expansions see an uptick in activity, which is sort of a no-brainer anyway. I don't know where the idea that it was accurate in WoD comes from. I'm pretty sure I recall it listing a significant uptick in activity during the point when the game was at its lowest active subscriber count of all time.

Shit, WoW died again?

Hate it when that happens. :\
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

Well a website that relies on an addon that almost no one uses anymore said WoW is dead so I guess I need to stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by garethrogue View Post
    Honestly I'd look forward to Stormblood more if I didn't feel like there's a 99% chance that Square is just going to repeat the same exact content schedule for the third time in a row. I at least hope to god they don't do the same stupid mistake they did with Heavensward where there were only two max level dungeons at release (followed by patch dungeons always making old dungeons irrelevant and so you always end up with only 2 new relevant 4 mans). They are just terrible at adding new systems as well as the Palace of Endless Trash and even the new Diadem are terrible (hell the new Diadem is already dead). I also feel like the job changes aren't going to fix the atrocious button bloat the game has.
    Last edited by leviathonlx; 2017-04-18 at 04:18 PM.

Same lead developers, same shit. What a surprise outcome

Quote Originally Posted by Baikalsan View Post
    http://warcraftrealms.com/weeklyacti...hp?serverid=-1

Holy fuck man. Those numbers are BAAAAAD. The patch released 2 weeks ago and it didn't effect activity at all wtf.
    Really wish the mods would perm ban you haters who keep spaming these shitposts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of actual data, very little usable content. 7.2 was a thorough letdown.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Same as when this link was posted at WoD launch the census pages for even high population realms are indicating too little data submission.

Quote Originally Posted by Baikalsan View Post
    http://warcraftrealms.com/weeklyacti...hp?serverid=-1

Holy fuck man. Those numbers are BAAAAAD. The patch released 2 weeks ago and it didn't effect activity at all wtf.
    The problem with that is that those numbers are highly inaccurate. A lot of their data relies on others submitting data and such via their addon. I wouldn't be surprised if like 1% of the WoW population runs it or even knows of that website.

Does everyone have to try to find some reason to spell doom and gloom for something that isn't needed?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    The problem with that is that those numbers are highly inaccurate. A lot of their data relies on others submitting data and such via their addon. I wouldn't be surprised if like 1% of the WoW population runs it or even knows of that website.

Does everyone have to try to find some reason to spell doom and gloom for something that isn't needed?
    If 1% uses that addon then that is perfect!

I rest my case.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Yeah, we all know that warcraftrealms is a legit source of activity levels and sub numbers

/s
    If you had any interest in the topic you would notice exact correlation between sub numbers and warcraft realm activity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post

I rest my case.
    I know right. And take a look at this!

That's even less than guild recruitment! Sport is dead. Fitness is dead. Cancel subscription to sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post

I rest my case.
    Do people actually use MMO-C for that. On the German servers we mostly just do it on the official forums or ingame or get applicants. The more shocking thing to me is that once more my guild is probably - again - one of 2 or 3 that still tries to raid mythic on our realm (cluster-thingy-ma-bob).