Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

AMD launches RX 500 Series: 580, 570, 560 & 550

Specs have been revealed for RX 500 series for the reference AMD RX 580 and the other partners. If the rumors are true and RX 580 is AMD answer to GTX 1070 and 1060 that means VEGA (mostly) on the right track to be AMD answer for GTX 1080/ti or even Titan XP.

https://videocardz.com/68586/amd-lau...-rx-500-series

I'm eager to see the official benchmarks the couple days coming.
    Last edited by Ballistic; 2017-04-18 at 01:07 PM.

Based on Anandtech's benchmarks, this refresh is the most underwhelming GPU launch since the HD 2900XT.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bah, looks like nvidia will be taking over high end GPU's by next year.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Can someone explain to me what is the meaning of limited edition slapped on the AMD RX 580 sapphire version name? My understanding of limited edition phrase in consumer industry that means it is limited in production and it is only available in limited quantities and they won't be manufacturing more of these. Is this correct?

10+ Year Old Account
    Refresh is a refresh. Nothing to see here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly? I don't see what was being expected from a Polaris refresh, it's simply a more mature process allowing for slightly higher clocks.

Polaris was never intended for high-end (they stated this since the beginning) but mainstream where the Vega architecture was meant for high-end (now named RX Vega).

To put it into perspective you now get a ~10% faster card for 10 USD less (stock vs. stock)... nothing special and nothing bad.
    Stop expecting high-end performance and materials from things that aren't meant to be as such.

Oh look. Another underwhelming batch of AMD cards.

I know this is nothing but a refresh of the 400 series, but there still isn't any point in getting one of these cards over a GTX 1060.

AMD is becoming even more irrelevant than they already were.

Putting my money on it now........I'm betting Volta will easily beat out Vega. And AMD will slip even further into uselessness. Other than of course keeping Nvidia's low end cards more acceptably priced.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2017-04-18 at 05:13 PM.

The 570 is the only card to consider from this lineup, best price/performance card on the market now it seems edging out he 1050 by a tiny margin.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the real question here is...but why?

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Oh look, overclocked 400 series GPUs.
    They did the same thing with 300 series

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    I think the real question here is...but why?
    Vega needs forever and its looks not so good when you release the 490/490X and 3-6 month later you start with the 560-580 GPUs.

ofc they have to refresh their mainstream line up for Vega launch, Vega with hbm2 for 300$ aint happening anytime soon. Vega will replace the 500 series near/after Volta release (2018). Only the top cards are going to be Vega based this year. If you have 400 series you arent suposed to be looking at those cards. They will anounce Vega @ May

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Oh look. Another underwhelming batch of AMD cards.

I know this is nothing but a refresh of the 400 series, but there still isn't any point in getting one of these cards over a GTX 1060.

Putting my money on it now........I'm betting Volta will easily beat out Vega. And AMD will slip even further into uselessness. Other than of course keeping Nvidia's low end cards more acceptably priced.
    Would you mind explaining, in detail, why an RX 480/580 is not worth getting over a GTX 1060?
    Because it's cheaper, performs equally and is a good architecture.

So unless you are SPECIFICALLY phrasing it for Blizzard games it is far from correct what you're stating.

Refreshes are nothing new, all brands have done them and dismissing cards because they are refreshes aimed at the mainstream is .. well stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    They still offer the best performance/$ ratio of the price ranges they are situated in. They fell behind in the high end market in the last few years, that's true. For the vast majority of customers cards like the 1080 are absolutely unnecessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cszsolt3 View Post
    They still offer the best performance/$ ratio of the price ranges they are situated in. They fell behind in the high end market in the last few years, that's true. For the vast majority of customers cards like the 1080 are absolutely unnecessary.
    Hardly so anymore, just look at 1060 prices, it's pretty much same thing +- couple of bucks and 1060 is objectively the better card here.

For some reason, maybe because of phones(?) people seem to have this idea that you need to upgrade every generation. That's why I think some people are upset. Yeah, if you have a 470, the 570 makes no sense for you. If you have a 6850, then the 470 makes no sense to you though.

You don't buy a new car every year do you? Just because the newer car gets 2MPG better gas mileage and goes 5MPH faster do you? It makes total sense for a company to iron out the bugs, make a few improvements and re-release. You don't have to buy it if you have the previous version.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Would you mind explaining, in detail, why an RX 480/580 is not worth getting over a GTX 1060?
    Because it's cheaper, performs equally and is a good architecture.

So unless you are SPECIFICALLY phrasing it for Blizzard games it is far from correct what you're stating.

Refreshes are nothing new, all brands have done them and dismissing cards because they are refreshes aimed at the mainstream is .. well stupid.
    Because it's not cheaper anymore? Add to that that it still trails 1060 as benches show above AND has worse power efficiency... I simply see no sense in this purchase really.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Hardly so anymore, just look at 1060 prices, it's pretty much same thing +- couple of bucks and 1060 is objectively the better card here.
    1060 is a better card? not even close.

1060 is the overall better card when you take everything into consideration like thermals/power draw etc, but honestly neither the 1060 or 580 makes a lot of sense as a 1080p card (too much performance) nor 1440p (too little most times). 570 is the card most people should be buying, or even dropping down to a 560 or a 1050 as they will peg 60 fps at 1080 in the majority of games.

Its pretty cool really, back in the day you needed to spend 200+ dollars to achieve this, but nowadays its half that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Yeah, the 570 is very similar in performance to the 3GB 1060 with the 6GB 1060 pulling ahead by 13%.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/..._Pulse/30.html

Yet the 570 is smack dab in the middle of them on price/performance. Slightly better value than the 6GB version, slightly less than the 3GB. It's basically a wash at this point and technically, the 470 is still a better value. I'm sure that will change once they've been out a few months and supply on the 4xx series disappears.