Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalodrei View Post
    1060 is a better card? not even close.
    You have Anandtech review here http://www.anandtech.com/show/11278/...-570-review/17

Here is their conclusion:

As for the competitive landscape then, AMD’s situation has improved, though I fear by not enough. Across the full spread of games in our benchmark suite, the RX 580 and GTX 1060 6GB change lead a few different times, so the RX 580 is able to best NVIDIA’s best in absolute performance in the right games. The problem for AMD is that those games appear to be too few; as a result the RX 580 trails the GTX 1060 by an average of 7% at both 1080p and 1440p. AMD has narrowed the gap somewhat – this was an 11% deficit with the RX 480 – but not by enough. And coupled with AMD’s worse power efficiency, this puts AMD in a tough spot. The biggest challenge right now is that GTX 1060 prices have come down to the same $229 spot just in time for the RX 500 series launch, so AMD doesn’t have a consistent price advantage.

Lackluster.....nothing else can be said about this.

10+ Year Old Account
    AMD needs VEGA to be a thing and most importantly bring it down to mainstream asap too. Nvidia milks enthusiasts for 1 year now, but real battle is at midrange now and their offering is inferior really, they need to throw a bomb there.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The real winner of this refresh is the 560.

Still holding firm with my 290x.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-04-18 at 06:26 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    AMD needs VEGA to be a thing and most importantly bring it down to mainstream asap too. Nvidia milks enthusiasts for 1 year now, but real battle is at midrange now and their offering is inferior really, they need to throw a bomb there.
    The mainstream are still on 1080p 60hz monitors, we have cards for that already...

Hardly so anymore, just look at 1060 prices, it's pretty much same thing +- couple of bucks and 1060 is objectively the better card here.
    You forgot the part though where Nvidia drops your card like a dead brick as far as drivers are concerned as soon as they release a new series.

The 10x0 series was out for literally one day and they announced that the 9x0 series was dead in the water as far as performance updates for drivers was concerned.
    AMD at least gives your card years of driver support, even if the card gets too old to get decent framerates anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    The mainstream are still on 1080p 60hz monitors, we have cards for that already...
    The point is to offer a real reason to go AMD, like actual advantage there. People will buy it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FluFF View Post
    You forgot the part though where Nvidia drops your card like a dead brick as far as drivers are concerned as soon as they release a new series.

The 10x0 series was out for literally one day and they announced that the 9x0 series was dead in the water as far as performance updates for drivers was concerned.
    AMD at least gives your card years of driver support, even if the card gets too old to get decent framerates anymore.
    This is true, it's a strong part of AMD so far.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FluFF View Post

Dat Fine Wine.

The point is to offer a real reason to go AMD, like actual advantage there. People will buy it.
    But what kind of advantage would you suggest for the mainstream market if a 480 already meets those needs especially if we're talking FHD60hz? If AMD were to offer some kind of budget Vega with 4GB HBM2 then that'd be neat but I suspect there's no way they could push that kind of hardware out the door for the mainstream market if we use Fury as a benchmark for pricing.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-04-18 at 06:44 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

This is true, it's a strong part of AMD so far.
    If you are talking a real advantage, if you want variable refresh, then AMD is the way to go, a 1080 p 75 Hz monitor is vastly cheaper and pretty much the same price as the 60 Hz variants.

I have picked up a samsung PLS monitor thats freesync, max Hz for it is 75 but it was £130 ( even has a wireless charger built into its base ), £200 + £130 = a price tag nvidia cant match for this experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    If you are talking a real advantage, if you want variable refresh, then AMD is the way to go, a 1080 p 75 Hz monitor is vastly cheaper and pretty much the same price as the 60 Hz variants.

I have picked up a samsung PLS monitor thats freesync, max Hz for it is 75 but it was £130 ( even has a wireless charger built into its base ), £200 + £130 = a price tag nvidia cant match for this experience.
    Same here, got a 144hz 1080p monitor with Freesync between 40 and 144hz and was 300 euro on release, the G Sync version would have been 500, Nvidia can shuff their required hardware up their arse, it was literally the same monitor apart for Free vs G Sync.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Would you mind explaining, in detail, why an RX 480/580 is not worth getting over a GTX 1060?
    Because it's cheaper, performs equally and is a good architecture.

So unless you are SPECIFICALLY phrasing it for Blizzard games it is far from correct what you're stating.

Refreshes are nothing new, all brands have done them and dismissing cards because they are refreshes aimed at the mainstream is .. well stupid.
    The 580 draws a lot more power. Even compared to the 480. The 570, on the other hand, seems like a worthwhile option.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    The 580 draws a lot more power. Even compared to the 480. The 570, on the other hand, seems like a worthwhile option.
    It depends on which card, the MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X seems to be drawing only 3W more over the reference 480.

Regardless ... power use is mostly irrelevant in cost and cooler mostly dictates thermals.

Whilst the GTX 1060 may have the slight edge, it's still an equal battle in general.
    And, whilst a minor footnote, the AMD cards do have better DX12 support in general.

So it's literally a 1v1 battle in the mainstream depending on what you want to go with.

There's no real downside to picking AMD vs. nVidia in this price range.
    You could go into semantics about what technologies are better like AMD's multi-monitor vs. nVidia's G-sync and whatnot.

The simple point is that they are by and large equal and stating brand A is better than brand B without context and reason is stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    The 570 is the only card to consider from this lineup, best price/performance card on the market now it seems edging out he 1050 by a tiny margin.
    The RX 470 was also out doing the 1050. This isn't anything new.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Would you mind explaining, in detail, why an RX 480/580 is not worth getting over a GTX 1060?
    Because it's cheaper, performs equally and is a good architecture.

So unless you are SPECIFICALLY phrasing it for Blizzard games it is far from correct what you're stating.
    Nvidia fans will fan. To me the polaris cards are superior for modern games over the 1060, but those advocating for the 1060 will point to Blizzard games which are horribly optimized. Honestly my interest in WoW has fallen for years now, and the only game they have I care for is OverWatch. Even then I haven't played it for months.
    Refreshes are nothing new, all brands have done them and dismissing cards because they are refreshes aimed at the mainstream is .. well stupid.
    People seem to overlook at the recent Nvidia refreshes. Titan x? You mean, Titan Xp? Even the 1080 Ti is a refresh of the Titan X. So yea, don't hate AMD cause they ain't the only ones doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    I know this is nothing but a refresh of the 400 series, but there still isn't any point in getting one of these cards over a GTX 1060.
    I don't see how the $159 RX 570 is in the same bracket as the 1060. Some of us don't want to spend $240 odd on a graphics card.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Yeah, the 570 is very similar in performance to the 3GB 1060 with the 6GB 1060 pulling ahead by 13%.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/..._Pulse/30.html

Yet the 570 is smack dab in the middle of them on price/performance. Slightly better value than the 6GB version, slightly less than the 3GB. It's basically a wash at this point and technically, the 470 is still a better value. I'm sure that will change once they've been out a few months and supply on the 4xx series disappears.
    I don't get those charts. The 570 is $10 less than the 470 and is faster.

Deleted
    Nice more awful rebranded cards from team red.
    Nothing to see here, stay away!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I don't see how the $159 RX 570 is in the same bracket as the 1060. Some of us don't want to spend $240 odd on a graphics card.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't get those charts. The 570 is $10 less than the 470 and is faster.
    If you can't afford or don't want to buy a $240 graphics card that can easily handle anything you throw at it at 1080p (and even some 1440p) then you really don't have any right to be calling yourself a PC gamer and should find a different hobby/past time.

I get that some people are dirt poor or fucking tightwads. But if that's the case, then they really shouldn't be focusing on something like building custom PCs in their free time.

As always, AMD is focused on the super low end, cheapo end of the spectrum. Literally more "ho-hum" from them and nothing more. Oh well, the one good thing that might come from this is that Nvidia might lower the price of the 1060/1050 even more and give more people better cards than AMD. If there's one thing AMD is good at right now, it's showing the world that Nvidia has better options.

RX 580 3-5% gains over RX 480 for $20-30 extra :s They got smoked by 1060 refresh here.
    The gains are better for 570, and it's 170$. Definitely a good buy.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2017-04-19 at 12:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiking88 View Post
    Nice more awful rebranded cards from team red.
    Nothing to see here, stay away!
    Employee of the month ladies and gentlemen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    If you can't afford or don't want to buy a $240 graphics card that can easily handle anything you throw at it at 1080p (and even some 1440p) then you really don't have any right to be calling yourself a PC gamer and should find a different hobby/past time.

I get that some people are dirt poor or fucking tightwads. But if that's the case, then they really shouldn't be focusing on something like building custom PCs in their free time.
    A PC gamer is anyone who plays games on a PC. You don't have to have over priced computer parts to be part of the club. Some of us are trying to be fiscally responsible.

Also to this day I've never spend more than $200 on a graphics card. I plan to continue this trend.

As always, AMD is focused on the super low end, cheapo end of the spectrum. Literally more "ho-hum" from them and nothing more. Oh well, the one good thing that might come from this is that Nvidia might lower the price of the 1060/1050 even more and give more people better cards than AMD. If there's one thing AMD is good at right now, it's showing the world that Nvidia has better options.
    People really like to put down AMD, and give Nvidia unnecessary credit. AMD stuck with the mid range to low end spectrum cause that's where AMD makes the most money. High end doesn't typically make them anything really. Mostly because of people like you who think that there should be a church of Nvidia, with an Nvidia Jesus.

The polaris cards are really really good, especially with newer games that use Vulkan, like Doom 2016. But the problem is 99% of games don't use Vulkan or DX12. Certainly not as well as Doom does. And then we have benchmarks of games from what should be in a museum, which is where Nvidia does well in. Lets include Crysis 3 from 2013. No wait, GTA V from 2015, which is an actually older game if you include the console release dates. But games like RE7, Battlefield 1, COD, Deus Ex, Doom, F1 2016, Tomb Raider DX12 & Sniper Elite 4 are all faster by a 20%-30% on the RX580 compared to the GTX 1060. All games released relatively recently.

But no please, continue to remind everyone how well Nvidia cards do on Blizzard games. Games where everyones graphics card does well over 100 fps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Employee of the month ladies and gentlemen.
    Yep I got a job and dont have to buy these rebranded shit cards.

Infracted - Mythbredor
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2017-04-19 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiking88 View Post
    Yep I got a job and dont have to buy these rebranded shit cards.
    You might want to explain why so you don't sound like yet another AMD-hater.