Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    So whats to stop a biased human from releasing faulty science in an effort to forward an agenda? Look at the anti vax or GMO shit, some faulty science has had an LARGE and hard to retract effect on many people.
    Faulty science is not science. It's like saying flat-earth theories are a part of science, they are not.
    Don't mix charlatanism with science.
    For something to be called science not only it should be driven via scientific method, but also it should be backed up by observations and experiments with very high success rates.

10+ Year Old Account
    So whats to stop a biased human from releasing faulty science in an effort to forward an agenda? Look at the anti vax or GMO shit, some faulty science has had an LARGE and hard to retract effect on many people.
    Nothing stops them. But they can be exposed as the charlatans they are by reputable sources. And, once their reputation gets out that they are willing to manipulate the science to meet their biased, no one who is aware of that reputation will take them seriously ever again.

What's to stop large multinational corporations from buying politicians to further their agenda?

What's to stop a random forum troll from perpetuating a faulty argument by attempting to smear opposing viewpoints by trying to link those viewpoints to other dubious anti-science viewpoints?

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    Nothing stops them. But they can be exposed as the charlatans they are by reputable sources. And, once their reputation gets out that they are willing to manipulate the science to meet their biased, no one who is aware of that reputation will take them seriously ever again.
    The problem here is that these people are usually known as charlatans amongst their colleagues, but ordinary people don't care enough to check.
    Then after every thing blew up in their face, they blame science instead of their own ignorance.

The EPA and other regulatory agencies overstepped their bounds many times, so they can drink bleach if it were possible.

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    The problem being, the damage has already been done at that point, see anti vax, gmo hate, or (I cant believe this is a thing) flat earth. All the science says Vaccines are safe, yet, here we are, dealing with a polio in 2017, thanks to nonscience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    What's to stop large multinational corporations from buying politicians to further their agenda?

What's to stop a random forum troll from perpetuating a faulty argument by attempting to smear opposing viewpoints by trying to link those viewpoints to other dubious anti-science viewpoints?
    Thats not what I was doing, but thanks.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Incredibale View Post
    The EPA and other regulatory agencies overstepped their bounds many times, so they can drink bleach if it were possible.
    I'm sure they don't mind you drinking tap water from a source next to a coal plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    yeah, so what? they want to do their jobs.
    To do their jobs? Yes, they are complaining because someone doesn't want them to do their jobs, not because they want to keep having a job.

Quote Originally Posted by BannedForViews View Post
    To do their jobs? Yes, they are complaining because someone doesn't want them to do their jobs, not because they want to keep having a job.
    this is not in any way a retort to what I just said.

I'm sure they don't mind you drinking tap water from a source next to a coal plant.
    If the EPA kept that and similar causes in its purview I'd be content, but they and their regulatory cohorts sure do love to assert authority over things which don't belong to them.

If the EPA kept that and similar causes in its purview I'd be content, but they and their regulatory cohorts sure do love to assert authority over things which don't belong to them.
    mhm, says you.

mhm, says you.
    Says testimonials from land owners who face fines or can't build because the EPA asserts control over whatever they feel like.

this is not in any way a retort to what I just said.
    Yes, it is. People crying because they will lose their jobs. News at 11.

That's all this is. Outrage because they might not keep getting those checks for pumping out worthless "research".

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Anti GMO crowd is very large size of the public.

European scientists do enjoy more notoriety and cooperation with their own governments for grant research. But anti gmo movement I would argue is stronger in Europe than America, Canada or Mexico. So, even in Europe which has arguably a higher educated workforce the anti gmo movement is stronger there than the U.S....
    My argument against GMOs is that I do not trust a for-profit corporation to act in the "interests of the people" when effectively being handed genetic cheat codes. Otherwise, we're going to need them to continue feeding ourselves in the blasted hellscape we're making for eachother.

Do you really think shaming people for not accepting a thing is the best way to win them to your side?

No matter what, these people still share your country and influence the government. You HAVE to learn to deal with them in a non combative way. This country is a fucking mess and part of that is the "if you arnt with us you are against us" mentality on both sides. I struggle to talk with anyone who identifies as either Dem or Rep, becuase 5 min into a conversation I get slammed with all the "reasons" why the opposing side is the problem.
    Science and facts are not democratic. If one side is against facts, the job of any person is to slam them. Not to make any compromise, because a half fact is still a falsehood
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

That's all this is. Outrage because they might not keep getting those checks for pumping out worthless "research".
    Why do you view the research as "worthless"?

yes how dare they, how dare they want to keep doing the American people a public service. the sheeeer audacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Science and facts are not democratic. If one side is against facts, the job of any person is to slam them. Not to make any compromise, because a half fact is still a falsehood
    Thats a GREAT way to never bring anyone over to your side. Just let the ignorant wretches (who control the country atm) do w/e, right?

You do whatever you want, and keep doing it, I will try to bridge the divide, not resort to ad hominem, and change minds.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Why do you view the research as "worthless"?
    Just to note: there's worthless and bad research. There's non repeated experiments presented as the ultimate truth. Thats not the case on climate change or vaxxing
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Says testimonials from land owners who face fines or can't build because the EPA asserts control over whatever they feel like.
    probably because the law in on their side.