Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Monitor help for friend

I have a friend who is using some really old, not even 1080p monitors to game on. I was going to upgrade my wifes and my graphics cards and get 1440p monitors for my main monitors and sell him one of mine and one of my wife's 1080p's for cheap, but home upgrades, car repairs and a vacation blew my budget. He is now in the market for a single 1080p monitor for around $150, though he could probably stretch to $200 if needed. Monitors are not my strong point but I was looking at the Dell SE2417HG. Anything wrong with that one or any better suggestions in that price range. He has a 4690k and R9 270.

I got an email from newegg this morning advertising a slim bezel acer IPS for 100 bucks:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m-_-24-009-781

Promo code is EMCREBK22

Appears to be a new model and a really good deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I have a friend who is using some really old, not even 1080p monitors to game on. I was going to upgrade my wifes and my graphics cards and get 1440p monitors for my main monitors and sell him one of mine and one of my wife's 1080p's for cheap, but home upgrades, car repairs and a vacation blew my budget. He is now in the market for a single 1080p monitor for around $150, though he could probably stretch to $200 if needed. Monitors are not my strong point but I was looking at the Dell SE2517HG. Anything wrong with that one or any better suggestions in that price range. He has a 4690k and R9 270.
    If it's TN then it really doesn't matter at that price range, and I can't find that display online.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I got an email from newegg this morning advertising a slim bezel acer IPS for 100 bucks:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m-_-24-009-781

Promo code is EMCREBK22

Appears to be a new model and a really good deal.
    I can't find a review of it, but for that price it probably has incredibly high input lag and likely other issues, who made the actual panel matters too, among other aspects.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Ya i dunno, it retails for 170 tho. 4ms is actually quite low for cheaper IPS panels, they are usually in the 6-11ms range. Id take a chance personally at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    If it's TN then it really doesn't matter at that price range, and I can't find that display online.

I can't find a review of it, but for that price it probably has incredibly high input lag and likely other issues, who made the actual panel matters too, among other aspects.
    I did not think at that price range he could really get into IPS, again, monitors are a really weak area. I guess I should just ask outright what is the best monitor he could get for his money at this point. Keep in mind though, we are talking about a guy who criticized me for years for buying a 1080p TV and still claims he can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p. If it were me, I'd spring for a little more and try to get IPS and 144hz refresh rate, but he does not really care at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya i dunno, it retails for 170 tho. 4ms is actually quite low for cheaper IPS panels, they are usually in the 6-11ms range. Id take a chance personally at that price.
    4ms is response time. Input lag is an issue with IPS and all its variants due to signal processing time, on many displays it's so bad it's not worth using for games, and the less it has the more it costs.

- - - Updated - - -

I did not think at that price range he could really get into IPS, again, monitors are a really weak area. I guess I should just ask outright what is the best monitor he could get for his money at this point. Keep in mind though, we are talking about a guy who criticized me for years for buying a 1080p TV and still claims he can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p. If it were me, I'd spring for a little more and try to get IPS and 144hz refresh rate, but he does not really care at all.
    Sounds like he only cares about the size and res, so any 24" 1080p TN panel would suffice.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

4ms is response time. Input lag is an issue with IPS and all its variants due to signal processing time, on many displays it's so bad it's not worth using for games, and the less it has the more it costs.
    Ive heard of ghosting and IPS glow as common complaints on cheaper IPS panels, but for the budget were talking about here i dont think you can do much better than what i linked.

Sounds like he only cares about the size and res, so any 24" 1080p TN panel would suffice.
    So any specific recommendations? Or is the one I was looking at good. Sorry, I initially had the model number slightly wrong(updated now), it's the SE2417HG:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/zhkw...nitor-se2417hg

I am pretty sure I've read that Dell and BenQ are some of the higher quality monitors and I want him to get something that will last so was thinking of one of those 2 brands.
    @Remilia or @Artorius I would appreciate any advice you have here. I know you guys really know your stuff when it comes to displays, though this is on the low end and likely does not matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    So any specific recommendations? Or is the one I was looking at good. Sorry, I initially had the model number slightly wrong(updated now), it's the SE2417HG:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/zhkw...nitor-se2417hg

I am pretty sure I've read that Dell and BenQ are some of the higher quality monitors and I want him to get something that will last so was thinking of one of those 2 brands.
    Looks fine to me.

As for the brand, it's always dependent on the model.

... car repairs ... blew my budget.
    Fu**ing cars man, they are a gold sink T.T Now, on topic, if he can stretch to $200 he can get Dell U2414H. I have it and love every inch Not a gaming monitor but great display.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do what Alantor said.

As a heads up, S series for Dell is the glossy series so reflection fun. I don't really see that many reviews of that particular line for a while so I don't really know how it performs.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Do what Alantor said.

As a heads up, S series for Dell is the glossy series so reflection fun. I don't really see that many reviews of that particular line for a while so I don't really know how it performs.
    After tax you are looking at 235+ for the 2414, that is a long ways from 150.

Yeah, for the 2414, he said that he'd have to wait a month to do it and he really wants to do it right now because his wifes monitor dies and he needs to give her one of his old ones. She doesn't game so my old old Viewsonic 1440x900 that he is using will be fine for her. Any other ideas a little cheaper?

- - - Updated - - -

After tax you are looking at 235+ for the 2414, that is a long ways from 150.
    It wasn't a bad idea, and he agreed, just can't swing it right now.

How about this one lathais:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...4_16_9_tn.html

TN 75hz panel for 179.00 no tax (unless you guys are in new york). Reviewed very well, and has a nice stand.

Also, freesync.

How about this one lathais:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...4_16_9_tn.html

TN 75hz panel for 179.00 no tax (unless you guys are in new york). Reviewed very well, and has a nice stand.

Also, freesync.
    That, he thinks he will probably go for, but will not be able to make final decision until Friday when he gets paid.

That, he thinks he will probably go for, but will not be able to make final decision until Friday when he gets paid.
    Hey just saw this refurb on newegg for 149.00, just heads up:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16824236798

Hey just saw this refurb on newegg for 149.00, just heads up:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16824236798
    He is ordering that right now. Was a little worried at first about it being a refurb, but I told him it has a 90-day warranty, if nothing goes wrong in that time, it should be just fine. Thanks for the good find.

Ya ive never had a problem with refurb before, my 1060 is a refurb actually. Open box is another story, had bad luck there.

Ya ive never had a problem with refurb before, my 1060 is a refurb actually. Open box is another story, had bad luck there.
    Yeah, both of us have gotten open box stuff with parts missing, so that's why he was a little worried. Refurb is different though and with the warranty, why not?

I may order one of those too, love 144hz but having your video card use so much power for WoW makes no sense really. I could set a frame limiter but then vsync wouldnt function, 75hz seems like a nice balance for MMO's and shooters like overwatch.