Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    If you can't afford or don't want to buy a $240 graphics card that can easily handle anything you throw at it at 1080p (and even some 1440p) then you really don't have any right to be calling yourself a PC gamer and should find a different hobby/past time.

I get that some people are dirt poor or fucking tightwads. But if that's the case, then they really shouldn't be focusing on something like building custom PCs in their free time.

As always, AMD is focused on the super low end, cheapo end of the spectrum. Literally more "ho-hum" from them and nothing more. Oh well, the one good thing that might come from this is that Nvidia might lower the price of the 1060/1050 even more and give more people better cards than AMD. If there's one thing AMD is good at right now, it's showing the world that Nvidia has better options.
    Chill out dude you are not going to convince anybody of anything with elitist attitude like that. Many GAMERS do not want or need ultra high end gpus, many either don't care about gaming in 1440p+ or games they play are not that demanding. Who are you to tell them not to play and "look for other hobbies". Who are you to say somebody is or isn't gamer ? Seriously get over yourself.

/trigeredoff

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Fitzherbert View Post
    You might want to explain why so you don't sound like yet another AMD-hater.
    All their posts are single line statements without reason applied, I just presumed them thick.

570 is a great card for the money, 580 not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    570 is a great card for the money, 580 not so much.
    Agreed, the 570 for 170.00$ US is a great price/performance card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Fitzherbert View Post
    You might want to explain why so you don't sound like yet another AMD-hater.
    Wonder if he got a job from Nvidia to post hateful comments online towards AMD. Cause if he wasn't, that's some dedication. He made an account recently to post how much he hates AMD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Oh look. Another underwhelming batch of AMD cards.

I know this is nothing but a refresh of the 400 series, but there still isn't any point in getting one of these cards over a GTX 1060.

AMD is becoming even more irrelevant than they already were.

Putting my money on it now........I'm betting Volta will easily beat out Vega. And AMD will slip even further into uselessness. Other than of course keeping Nvidia's low end cards more acceptably priced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Hardly so anymore, just look at 1060 prices, it's pretty much same thing +- couple of bucks and 1060 is objectively the better card here.

Ahem!

I also think that Chill feature is a really good addition too. Shows around 12:00 mark.
    Also AMD has FreeSync/FreeSync2 (available via driver, so older cards may use it too).

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. "Radeon RX 480 Cards Can Successfully be Flashed to RX 580".

overvolted to the moon (in order to brute force higher clocks) Rebrandeon which manages to have worse perf/power than initial Polaris

#PrayForVega

- - - Updated - - -

and Freesync has had nothing but problems since Relive drivers (or before as well) - stability issues, flickering and sometimes flat out not working in select games

it still has a ways to go until it can reach the rock solid, always working out-of-the-box, no ghosting from overdrive, hardware Gsync implementation, if that can be done at all
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2017-04-20 at 09:10 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    overvolted to the moon (in order to brute force higher clocks) Rebrandeon which manages to have worse perf/power than initial Polaris

#PrayForVega

- - - Updated - - -

and Freesync has had nothing but problems since Relive drivers (or before as well) - stability issues, flickering and sometimes flat out not working in select games

it still has a ways to go until it can reach the rock solid, always working out-of-the-box, no ghosting from overdrive, hardware Gsync implementation, if that can be done at all
    You do realise freesync is hardware right? Its built into the scaler, but thats not the driver issue, its a game issue however I've yet to have issues with freesync.

http://techreport.com/news/27449/g-s...s-and-here-why

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/over...ic/20745126306

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...-sync-issues-/

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvi...ync,30322.html

Some google random searches brought these up, rock solid again?

hardware = dedicated chip

I've yet to have issues with freesync.
    try R6 Siege, esp in borderless window mode

your links are from 2014/2015 Relive drivers are 2017

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    hardware = dedicated chip

try R6 Siege, esp in borderless window mode

your links are from 2014/2015 Relive drivers are 2017
    What do you think the scaler is? software, I thought that was a physical hardware device.

'rock solid, always working out-of-the-box'

Want to explain that part of your sentence, you said this right there, what do dates have to do with this specific portion of your statement?

FreeSync is supported in hardware but is driver-controlled. Tropico 5 wigged out pretty hardcore for me until I turned off FreeSync on my monitor, for example, so there is a chance of game / driver incompatibility. MechWarrior Online had issues too, but alt-tabbing out and back in solved them.

Those are the only two that had issues with FreeSync though out of just a ton of games I own.

G-SYNC comes with a custom scalar, but FreeSync is GPU / driver controlled. It's cheaper (basically free) to manufacture into the system but there's a bit more work on the backend that needs to be done to make it work properly. On the plus side, though, FreeSync has gotten better and better since its release due to its software nature, while G-SYNC has just always been G-SYNC.

(For the record my R9 290 has behaved just fine with ReLive! and 144Hz 1440p FreeSync. I recommend adaptive sync to every person I can.)
    Super casual.

With the 580 launch it kinda shows how they under reported actual TDP with the 400 series, just noticed these cards are now rated at 185w instead of the original 150, actual power draw is over 200w:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAbW5yMzlbM

Once you take the 1060's 120w TDP into consideration and how it is on average the slightly faster card, you will see how far ahead nvidia really is. If AMD came out with a card that had similar power draw characteristics as the 1060, it would be a much much slower card.

Adored has a video where he undervolts the RX 580 for an easy 20% less power draw, he did the same with the 480 in another video. Wonder why AMD likes to set the voltages way higher than needed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    With the 580 launch it kinda shows how they under reported actual TDP with the 400 series, just noticed these cards are now rated at 185w instead of the original 150, actual power draw is over 200w:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAbW5yMzlbM

Once you take the 1060's 120w TDP into consideration and how it is on average the slightly faster card, you will see how far ahead nvidia really is. If AMD came out with a card that had similar power draw characteristics as the 1060, it would be a much much slower card.
    I don't think they are behind tbh. x80 pretty much matches 1060. You can't compare two different architectures on power/performance ratio. AMDs gpus will always use more power (partially because hardware scheduler). If you look back to when nvidia had hardware scheduler (400 series I think) they were power hungry monsters. Also as said before you can(and should) undervolt amd gpus.
    One could make up any comparison to suite their view on product, for example you could look at clock speeds and performance then suddenly nvidia is the one that is far behind - they win in only few games and barely while having 20%-25% more core clock speed.
    Bottom line is with different architectures from different vendor the only really important and comparable metric to look at is actual performance.

Why cant AMD match nvidia in efficiency then? And if you took every game into consideration (especially popular titles like WoW and overwatch) nvidia does have a performance edge overall, while having the massive power savings too.

I bought an AMD CPU and recommend them almost unanimously over intel right now, but AMD graphics i cannot get behind yet.

Deleted
    when you take into consideration modern titles(releases this year/late last year) amd actually is ahead. When it comes to efficiency it is as I said, amd uses hardware scheduler, nvidia uses software one. Both approaches got their positive and negative sides. Amd elected to use hardware one because it does better in compute environment and in low level apis(dx12/vulkan) while increasing power draw.

Its pretty clear they trade blows depending on what game you are looking at, but i just cant get past the ~80w load power draw differences between the two cards. That is not a negligible amount, and is reason enough for me to pick nvidia. My EVGA 1060 ive never heard the fan on even with a 144hz monitor, dead silent and stays under 70c at all times. Does AMD have a card like this?

Hi! My name is the RX 550 4GB… at origins I was born a soundcard but I was veeery ambitious, ate everything put in my plate and when I grew big they strapped a cooler and called me a video card, fuck yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by socialmaker View Post
    Hi! My name is the RX 550 4GB… at origins I was born a soundcard but I was veeery ambitious, ate everything put in my plate and when I grew big they strapped a cooler and called me a video card, fuck yeah!
    550 is actually the only appealing card in the entire lineup lol. Once the prices come down (which they will) it is an awesome HTPC card, or mainstream titles like overwatch etc. At 80 dollars tho no one should buy it, its a 60 dollar GPU.

Why cant AMD match nvidia in efficiency then?
    GCN arch itself

those ACE units/hardware async, hardware scheduler etc. that apparently give GCN a HW advantage in DX12 - the downside is power draw