Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I disabled mine today. But if I have to wait for adds to load before the site content, like it used to be, its going back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    I'll whitelist when they get the ads and trolls under control.
    Wait your adblock blocks the trolls?

I white-listed this site, just for shits and giggles to see how many adds would show up, and I see none....
    I too got adblock because of intrusive adds, but they may have addressed it?
    Using Chrome, Win10 build 15063, and Trend Micro. TM might be blocking the adds... but last I checked, the version I have didn't iwell with Chrome

Site does have a lot of ads but it -is- perfectly possible to permit known benign advertisers and block all else (privacy badger does this just fine for me at least). Doesn't -have- to be an either/or issue.

That said I agree that it'd be nice if you could just rely on the site owners to filter the advertisers but eh. I'm sure there's fairly significant costs included in running the site, considering it's status in the mmo community and correlated traffic level.

Decided to give whitelisting a shot. This forum page loaded 3 ads. 1 microsoft azure ad at the top, 1 what I presume to be gambling site ad at the bottom with annoying flashy animations and another different gambling site at the very bottom of the page with less annoying flashy animations.

Loading time went from 3 seconds to 24 seconds to fully load the page. Looking at what nodes the page was connecting to it was going mental.

Conclusion, mmo-champ still shows ads with flashy animations which slowdown loading time of the page insanly on a forum page.

Main page loads 4 ads, slows down loading time to roughly 30 seconds. Ads are intrusive that they have mouseover functionality causing them to start loading even more slowing down the page again.

Combining both those facts, my adblocker is going back on and mmo-champ should remove the whole whitelist prompt since they lie about the non intrusive part.

I just got it for the first time myself. I'm never going to disable my adblocker and attempts to get me to or to circumvent my use of it on other sites have caused me to stop visiting said sites. Ads are intrusive, obnoxious and sometimes dangerous to my computer. I'm NEVER going to stop using it and MMO-Champ's staff ought to know better.

Go to mediafire if you don't understand. Downloading stuff from there usually opens a tab to a page that tries to force you to update "open software".

Started popping up today. Not too annoying, but I've used adblock to block it, so I'm not too offended. I might turn adblock off at some point and see if MMO-C has reined in the abuse of my browser and bandwidth, but given the comments in the thread, it ain't gonna be today.

Ads help support MMO-Champion and allow us to continue helping this awesome community. We strive to not interrupt your visit with intrusive ads.
    Please support us by turning off your adblocker. We appreciate it!
    You'd wish.

Stop spamming my screen with whitelist beggary so that I can turn off what protects me from company beggary.

MMO has had so many cancerous ads spamming 70% of the website, I am in no way going to go back to that ever again.

Just realized I can adblock that, too.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2017-04-19 at 04:39 PM.

Maybe ISP's are injecting adds or people have malware? I have 0 adds on this site.

Click on ADB > block element > choose the bar that cover half of your screen

so i just looked at the counter and it said 28 on this site. mmm stays on. especially when you have ads for your ads.

getting a profit from ads is fine. but mmo champ is one of the sites on the internet that has heavily overdosed on it.

Deleted
    I won't ever whitelist any site in the curse network anymore.
    On several of their sites, including mmo-champ, they repeatedly used intrusive and downright poisonous ads, and they are still doing it.
    As much as i enjoy mmo-champ, that is just asking people to use an adblocker on your sites.

Hint: you can block not only ads with adblock and uBlock Origin - just right click annoying element of webpage and choose "Block element" (in uBlock, it is just called different in adblock).

edit
    Quote Originally Posted by LoLcano View Post
    Click on ADB > block element > choose the bar that cover half of your screen
    Damn I was late.
    Last edited by Alexeht; 2017-04-19 at 04:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcrin View Post
    so i just looked at the counter and it said 28 on this site. mmm stays on. especially when you have ads for your ads.

getting a profit from ads is fine. but mmo champ is one of the sites on the internet that has heavily overdosed on it.
    The admins will always chime in at this point all huffy that "not all of those are ads, several are just metrics gathering", but they never address the cancer in the ads they are serving nor the performance-kill all these things comprise.

I know people gotta make money and I don't begrudge them that, but it's gotta be in a benign form. That's why for years I paid for a curse membership for instance. But browser hijack and malware ads and the kind of shit that are notorious for these ad networks are never going to be acceptable.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    Maybe ISP's are injecting adds or people have malware? I have 0 adds on this site.
    With out using an ad blocking programs there are ads on MMO-Champion. It has nothing to do with ISP or malware.

I personally only block the ads because of performance hits they cause. For whatever reason the ads on mmo-champion tend to cause occasional browser slow downs. I'll have slow typing in text boxes on the page, or just general browser lag. I don't mind having ads. I'll also block an entire page that auto-plays (or plays on mouse over) sound.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    With out using an ad blocking programs there are ads on MMO-Champion. It has nothing to do with ISP or malware.

I personally only block the ads because of performance hits they cause. For whatever reason the ads on mmo-champion tend to cause occasional browser slow downs. I'll have slow typing in text boxes on the page, or just general browser lag. I don't mind having ads. I'll also block an entire page that auto-plays (or plays on mouse over) sound.
    I see 0 adds on MMO-Champion.... so?

15+ Year Old Account
    And now that Amazon owns Twitch who owns Curse I feel like I should get an ad-free or ad-lite experience since I have Amazon Prime. Amazon prime includes Twitch Prime as well so there should be some carry over of benefits. I really don't like the main page background ads which I just saw one for citizen bank when I turned off ad block. Those are just way to jarring.

Heck even the curse app is now the Twitch app. So might as well give us twitch prime/turbo and Amazon Prime members a ad-free or ad-light expereince. I don't care about the other metric scripts that are run unless I can track the specific ones down to browser performance hits.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Yeah, the notice was displaying far too often. Sorry about that. Should appear far less often now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    I see 0 adds on MMO-Champion.... so?

Then there are a few possibilities. You are lying. You have a form of ad blocking being run. You don't know what an ad is. The code for the site contains ads.

I guess your country could have a requirement for content filters but there are ads on the site.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Yeah, the notice was displaying far too often. Sorry about that. Should appear far less often now.
    There should just be a notice that displays in place of some of the ads. Wowhead has it set up like this. It isn't as intrusive as the pop-up bar but still gets the point across. The banner ads at the top of the page would be perfect for such a replacement to pop up when ad-blocking is detected.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I mean they could not have this huge box being intrusive in the first place?
    There's a good chance they don't care if they annoy people who aren't bringing them any revenue. What's the worst we could do, go to another website and leech their bandwidth for free?