Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Ah, the joy of good faith trade neogtiations.

(You don't need to tell ''LULZ, we are strong and you are weak'' : that's exactly how every single trade negotiation ever go with the US : we are forced to buy American stuff at gunpoint, but Heaven forbid that Canadian manufacturers sell stuff...)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/trum...rder-1.4073587

TLDR : Canadian have to buy more American ultra-filtered milk-essentially, well, a milk concentrate to make cheap cheese. (Because, again, ''protectionnism'' is a code word for ''force people to buy OUR stuff, but prevent them to sell THEIR stuff-in fact, that's a lot like free trade...)

You must have missed the part of the article where it said Canada increased the prices on the import of that product for cheese makers in Canada.

They are the ones that hosed the free trade part.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

The issue being, of course, that the POTUS is pushing for free trade, isn'it ? (Or, for the record, that the dairy inddustry WAS specifically covered and protected by NAFTA. So the US protectionnism means removing one of the protected sector in the free trade deal...)
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2017-04-19 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    we are forced to buy American stuff at gunpoint,
    to be fair, its not guns, its a base in north dakota filled with nukes originally intended for russia, but now conveniently positioned to ensure canada stays agreeable to Putin's... i mean Trump's.... agenda.

The issue being, of course, that the POTUS is pushing for free trade, isn'it ? (Or, for the record, that the dairy inddustry WAS specifically covered and protected by NAFTA. So the US protectionnism means removing one of the protected sector in the free trade deal...)
    Trump pushing for free trade? Where the hell have you been?

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Trump pushing for free trade? Where the hell have you been?
    Sarcasm. Trump is pushing for ''american style'' protectionnism (AKA, you can't protect, but we can)

Sarcasm. Trump is pushing for ''american style'' protectionnism (AKA, you can't protect, but we can)
    I think you mean British style, if only because the system of exporting goods to accrue capital in the homeland at the expense of economies elsewhere was codified in the 15th century by an English economist named Thomas Mun.

Well, when free trade goes against you, just fall back to protectionism. GG Canadia

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Well, when free trade goes against you, just fall back to protectionism. GG Canadia
    To repeat myself : protectionism should be available for other countries too...but again, Trump protectionnism remove protections for Canadian dairy farms that were included in the free tradeact.

To repeat myself : protectionism should be available for other countries too...but again, Trump protectionnism remove protections for Canadian dairy farms that were included in the free tradeact.
    What are you on about? The changes Trudeau made are new.

Here's the thing... A great majority of American's could give two fucks less about CANADIAN dairy farmers. If it's good for America, it's good for me and I don't need to know anything else. Be careful, or we'll just annex you permanently so you can be the 51st state. You have less population than California after all, it wouldn't be that difficult.
    CPU: Intel i7 3770K Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V PRO GPU: 2X Asus GTX 770 OC SLI Heatsink: Hyper 212 EVO RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600mhz SSD: 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO HDD: WD 2tb Caviar Black PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: CM HAF 932 Advanced

What are you on about? The changes Trudeau made are new.
    Trudeau was in power in 2009 ? My, live and learn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lordsphinx View Post
    Here's the thing... A great majority of American's could give two fucks less about CANADIAN dairy farmers. If it's good for America, it's good for me and I don't need to know anything else. Be careful, or we'll just annex you permanently so you can be the 51st state. You have less population than California after all, it wouldn't be that difficult.
    You know that works both ways right? No one in other countries cares if their policies benefit America either. All the empty bravado in the world won't change that, just ask the North Korean's.

Ah, the good old edgelord threats of invasion if a random country does not do exactly what you want. (Surely profered by an US general, not by a random MAGAboy, cause the later would be really ridiculous)

It's of course stupid to note here that the US Army would not manage to invade the Vatican for less then a few dozen billion dollars. I mean, we are in insults, so why stop there ?

You want other insults ? If North Korea is not intimidated by a clown sending a carrier, why the hell I would be intimidated by clowns who don't even have this possibility ?
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2017-04-19 at 07:28 PM.

Let's be honest, Trump doesn't want free trade. He's not the only one, many countries have long pushed for such things, and it is the centerpiece of the GOP platform. Yes, that makes them hypocrites, but their constituents don't really care about such things.

Trudeau was in power in 2009 ? My, live and learn.
    Sorry for that error.

NAFTA was signed in 2009? My point remains, regardless of which PM made the changes.

Sorry for that error.

NAFTA was signed in 2009? My point remains, regardless of which PM made the changes.
    No, the change on milk....

Canada recently changed its policies on ultra-filtered milk, a protein liquid concentrate used to make cheese, to favour domestic suppliers over U.S. producers. It had been duty-free since the 1994 NAFTA agreement, but the government changed the rules after dairy farmers in Ontario complained about prices.

About 70 dairy producers in both Wisconsin and New York are affected by the new rules, and have lobbied the U.S. government for action on the file.

"We're ... going to stand up for our dairy farmers in Wisconsin," Trump said.
    It seems Canada engaged in protectionism. What's the problem?

Are you saying we should force Canada to join the US because of dairy farms?

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Let's be honest, Trump doesn't want free trade. He's not the only one, many countries have long pushed for such things, and it is the centerpiece of the GOP platform. Yes, that makes them hypocrites, but their constituents don't really care about such things.
    I don't really see the problem here, even Reagan passed protectionism policies as a form of retaliation. Free trade only works as long as the other nation is willing to. Else its a one sided relationship.