Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    What browser do you use? I bet some setting on your intel PC is different than what is set on your ryzen rig. When i first built this PC i was annoyed by these things that i had tweaked on my old PC and had forgotten about, once i realized i had turned smooth scrolling off it was like yes....that what was messed up.

I think you will agree with me in a couple months you overreacted in this thread, and my offer is open if you want any troubleshooting help let me know.
    Your comical, I dont need any troubleshooting help. I am very capable, there is nothing wrong with my 2 Ryzen machines, they just arent as good as Intels for gaming. Other programs work well, Autodesk runs smooth, so does Adobe, so does PP, but not any smoother than the i7 7700 I just built (sold the 6700k). For games, the i7 runs much smoother.

So again, I cant recommend Ryzen to someone that is only going to game, maybe Ryzen 2 in the future, we will see. That my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Your comical, I dont need any troubleshooting help. I am very capable, there is nothing wrong with my 2 Ryzen machines, they just arent as good as Intels for gaming. Other programs work well, Autodesk runs smooth, so does Adobe, so does PP, but not any smoother than the i7 7700 I just built (sold the 6700k). For games, the i7 runs much smoother.

So again, I cant recommend Ryzen to someone that is only going to game, maybe Ryzen 2 in the future, we will see. That my opinion.
    But you knew this going in moremana, why did you purchase them in the first place if you expected different results?

Again i do truly believe you are having issues because your results dont line up with mine, in WoW im getting more FPS in raids with a 3.8ghz 1700 than my 4.2ghz 2500k, and literally everything else i do is faster as well. I just dont get your stance here my dude, it truly does not add up to me. I think you are just annoyed you couldnt get 3200 ram to work properly and it has tainted ryzen for you, lets try not to taint or for others as well?

Your smoothness comment is also baffling, in overwatch i have noticed a smoother experience with my ryzen rig and many reviewers have also noted "smoothness" as a factor in their ryzen PC's compared to intel, due to idle CPU resources or whatever, but its been noted in more than a handful of reviews.

Here is a video of me flying around broken shore with vsync off, is this bad performance guys?:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nonSKRArTn8
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-04-19 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    I would never put a Ryzen 3 at their (leaked) low Ghz compared to the 3.7-4Ghz on the i3s especially for Blizzard games or many other games that really love that single 4Ghz core, like CS:GO/Dota 2 etc.
    Not sure why you'd consider an i3 at all when you can get a G4560 for under half the price in most cases. The only one that it is not half the price of is the i3-7100 and it's basically the exact same CPU just with a different iGPU. Really, nothing in the Pentium line except the G4560 should be considered by anyone and no i3s should be considered at all. You either go with a G4560 or jump up to a i5, no in between anymore. R3 should change that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Once more, you do not read.

Ryzen 3 presumed leaked Ghz are below 3.5Ghz, leaks show 3.1Ghz but i will hope for that turbo at 3.5Ghz.

I3 7100, 3.9Ghz at 110$.

Why exactly am i gonna consider any Ryzen 3 for a budget build when most games are still based on one core maybe a second?

Its 2017, we are saying "cores will eventually be useful" since 2009.

5 games in the last 2 years that use more than 2 cores, and apart from BF1 the rest are worthless 20h garbage games.
    But again, the i3-7100 is a terrible value. It's the exact same CPU as the G4560 with a slight bump in clocks and a change in the iGPU, for nearly doule the price. Horrible value. Also, won't all the R3's be overclockable? They'll likely easily OC past an i3-7100.

15+ Year Old Account
    But you knew this going in moremana, why did you purchase them in the first place if you expected different results?

Again i do truly believe you are having issues because your results dont line up with mine, in WoW im getting more FPS in raids with a 3.8ghz 1700 than my 4.2ghz 2500k, and literally everything else i do is faster as well. I just dont get your stance here my dude, it truly does not add up to me. I think you are just annoyed you couldnt get 3200 ram to work properly and it has tainted ryzen for you, lets try not to taint or for others as well?

Your smoothness comment is also baffling, in overwatch i have noticed a smoother experience with my ryzen rig and many reviewers have also noted "smoothness" as a factor in their ryzen PC's compared to intel, due to idle CPU resources or whatever, but its been noted in more than a handful of reviews.

Here is a video of me flying around broken shore with vsync off, is this bad performance guys?:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nonSKRArTn8
    Ill leave this with you, watch the whole video before you reply. Especially at the 20 minute mark...and listen to the whole part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76-8-4qcpPo

You linked me video from one of the worst hardware reviewers on the planet and are trying to prove what exactly? Have you seen tech citys podcast where he had wendell from level 1 techs and this goofball on at the same time? The guy has the ability to talk on camera and that is where his knowledge stops, i suggest you watch this before taking anything seriously that channel you linked produces:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIbwuLdHbMg&t=60s

You knew 100% what ryzen was before you bought not one but TWO systems with it. Now you are telling people not to buy them because you have a corrupt windows install or have some settings wrong that is giving the illusion ryzen cant even give a smooth web browsing experience? I dont even know what to say to you anymore, but what i do know is you need to stop telling people not to buy ryzen because you are having issues with your system, the only legit "problems" with ryzen right now is memory compatibility and when that gets sorted will vary with each board manufacturer.

Just unreal.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me make clear i don't disagree the 7700k vs 1700 is a hard choice, for some intel may be the right choice. This thread is about r5 vs i5, and in that space there isnt a discussion to be had, ryzen wins that all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Ill leave this with you, watch the whole video before you reply. Especially at the 20 minute mark...and listen to the whole part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76-8-4qcpPo
    No point to arguing with him, he's made up his mind what he thinks about Ryzen and Intel Kaby Lake you're just wasting your keystrokes man. Ignore him and stand by your opinion. I think Hardware Unboxed is a great channel. My opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    No point to arguing with him, he's made up his mind what he thinks about Ryzen and Intel Kaby Lake you're just wasting your keystrokes man. Ignore him and stand by your opinion. I think Hardware Unboxed is a great channel. My opinion though.
    Terrible channel that only makes clickbait videos, but that isnt even the point here. The dude bought two ryzen systems knowing full well what they are, and is only posting here because he has issues with his and ram hitting rated speeds. Do you really think ryzen can not perform basic tasks like web browsing? That is the kind of things he is complaining about, and is actually telling people not to buy ryzen because of it lol.

I just dont understand how some peoples brains work. How could you purchase not one but two entire systems after watching reviews and knowing you are trading a bit of gaming performance today for excess idle CPU resources down the road and all the benefits that come with that, then apparently have some epiphany as to what the CPU is and start telling people not to buy it????

Again this thread is i5 vs r5, he is comparing a 7700k vs a 1700 and that is a completely different discussion as to what you should purchase in the 330-350 dollar range. i7's are going to have relevance for a lot longer period of time, and it isnt clear yet if games will be able to take advantage of 8 real CPU cores, but we do know games are starting to take advantage of cores past 4 already. You wont see another 4c 4t i5, that should tell you straight away what decision you should make between a current gen i5 and ryzen r5.

I just dont understand how some peoples brains work. How could you purchase not one but two entire systems after watching reviews and knowing you are trading a bit of gaming performance today for excess idle CPU resources down the road and all the benefits that come with that, then apparently have some epiphany as to what the CPU is and start telling people not to buy it????
    He bought two systems because he has a use for those systems. He bought them knowing that he traded gaming performance. Which is also why he has a 7700k. He tells people not to buy them exclusively for gaming. How can you not understand the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    He bought two systems because he has a use for those systems. He bought them knowing that he traded gaming performance. Which is also why he has a 7700k. He tells people not to buy them exclusively for gaming. How can you not understand the difference?
    You don't understand the conversation that is taking place here.

If its 7700k vs 1700 there is a discussion to be had and depending on what you do with your PC absolutely intel is a consideration. You can not post in an i5 vs r5 thread with that kind of talk because it has no relevance, even if all you do is game you cannot suggest someone buy an i5 over an r5 in 2017, its straight up poor advice and borders on irresponsible....especially if that person plans on keeping their PC for a decent amount of time.

And im not convinced of what he thought anymore, he surely watched all the reviews and knew what he was getting into. My guess is the guy has lots of small issues and the ram not hitting 3200 got under his skin and he merely overreacted.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-04-19 at 07:45 PM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ryzen got RX480d and went from an affordable "good enough Haswell IPC" processor to some kind of gargantuan evolution in computing somewhere along the way. It'll trade blows and punch above its weight in synthetics and applications which demand more cores/threads but no one should be surprised that it's simply "okay" when it comes to gaming especially when it's put against the equivalent i5 series with older/poorer engines. Throw in overclocking and that extra speed from the i5 is still king but that's not to say R5 is a Court Jester like the Bulldozer or Piledriver either.

What makes Ryzen appealing is that it's far more of a "jack of all trades" processor with incredibly competitive pricing. An R5 1600 can't entirely compare to a 7600k in games such as Warcraft but it will excel in tasks which demand increased multi-threading which gives it a more rounded experience for the same price (in canada, anyway).

If I were in the market for a new foundation, which I am, I would still go with an R5 1600 simply because it is able to provided me with a more rounded experience with the benefit of extra potential since I don't use my system exclusively for gaming. I'd sacrifice some single-thread performance for that benefit and I feel confident in my decision especially when Coffee Lake will only be an incremental step above Kaby Lake in early 2018 and who knows if Intel will learn a lesson about pricing by then.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-04-19 at 07:47 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You should check the video again. It shows i5's ahead of the 1700...
    I don't even know how to reply to this, you are so far off the path of what this discussion is about. Of course i5's are leading the 8 cores as well, have you not kept up with the reviews? Do you not realize most games are only coded to take advantage of ~4 cores in 2017?

When you buy a ryzen CPU you know that you are losing some gaming performance today for a lot more raw CPU power for the future. I feel having those extra cores is worth the 7-15% you lose out on by not going intel today, but again that is only relevant in the i7 vs 1700 discussion. i5 vs r5 is a whole different story, i5's are going the way of dual cores its not a matter of if but a matter of when.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    I'm going for my first build here, been using a laptop previously for years and going to use the new pc for mostly gaming etc. The budget is around 1000 euros and I'm purchasing the computer in Finland

This is what I'm planning on so far.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AM4 3.4 GHz 6-core Boxed (Should I get the 1600x or i5 7600k instead?. Is the 1600 easy to overclock to 4ghz and would I need another cpu cooler. The 1600 comes with wraith cooler)

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 2400MHz Quad Channel Kit (Could get something else if someone has any recommendations?)
    MSI B350M GAMING PRO AMD B350 Socket AM4 Micro BTX
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s 64MB
    Samsung 250GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5 SATA III 540/520 MB/s
    CORSAIR Carbide 88R Micro ATX Mid Tower
    Cooler Master 550W, V550, 100% modulaarinen, 80PLUS GOLD

Other issue is with GPU. Not sure if going to go with 1060 or is the new 580 that's coming up any better? I'm going to be using the Benq Zowie 144hz monitor. Mostly going to play overwatch which I'd like to stay at +144fps, other new games coming up doesnt really matter as much
    You cant use quad channel ram with the ryzen. It's not possible. You'l need an after market cooler to achieve maximum overclock with either chip. If you ever want to stream the extra threads will help. If you just play overwatch then either build will be suitable and comes down to economics.

You could also get a 780ti if you play overwatch only. It's comparable. I was surprised by superposition benchmark results and how well it did. The video is factory settings. With an oc you will maintain the framerate you seek easily.

Last edited by Barnabas; 2017-04-19 at 08:11 PM.

Well to be real, if you are on a 1080p 60hz monitor and your main game is overwatch you can peg vsync cap easily with a used gtx 760 on epic settings.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Very few users benefit from all 4 cores they have, let alone 8+.
    From a gaming perspective, you're right although there are a handful of games which show scaling at least as far as Ht is concerned. You can get away with 2c/4t processors and can even fabricate tests which allow a i3-7350k to beat R7 in cherry picked single-threaded benchmarks but for the average+ joe who does some encoding, processing and editing on top of gaming then you'll see the benefit of those additional cores and threads in a 1600 while paying equal to or less than a 7600k which is why it's appealing to someone like me in spite of losing some ST performance.

On top of this 1151 is likely a dead end too since there's no way Intel will create a "mainstream" six-core processor for the socket whereas AM4 won't likely see an impactful revision for a couple years (maybe) while offering support for the socket until 2021. This is just me guessing though and it's not like i'm saying "OMG 4/4 is dead" or will be any time soon especially when we see 2/4s dominating the entry level with decent performance.

Gaming - Intel since it'll likely improve slightly upon itself with Coffee Lake in early 2018 but likely not on the same socket
    Everything else - AMD

It's simply a matter of tailoring a machine to meet your personal needs and that's what makes the PC platform as great and as frustrating as it is.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-04-19 at 08:50 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Just to be clear im not saying i5's will be unusable in a few years, but whats happening to 2c4t CPU's right now is going to happen to i5's. Slowly over time you will see its decline and it will get to a point where there will be a large fps gap between 4c 4t CPU's and 4c 8t parts as some games are already showing today.

That's just speaking for gaming, that doesn't even touch on everything else people do on PC's.

If the difference is like from 90 fps to 80, get more cores.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    Well I'm also a bit worried that the i5 will become less worth it in a few years. I'm planning on keeping this setup for a while or only upgrading when needed, so for longevity I was thinking mostly ryzen. At the same time I wouldnt want to get gimped in performance in the present...
    Having run on a i5-2500k powered system for better part of 4 years, a current gen i5 should last you at least that long (barring some major advances in CPU tech before then that I don't see happening).

15+ Year Old Account
    @Fascinate
    One I never said anything was wrong with either of my Ryzen systems other than the ram speeds on the one which I also said was a bios issue obviously. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Two, I never said web browsing did not work, I said it wasn't as smooth as Intel...again, stop putting words in my mouth.

I got both Ryzen builds for a reason, gaming wasnt one of them. the OP asked opinions on gaming on a Ryzen5 or i5, I gave my opinion, Im sorry it butt hurts you that I dont agree with your opinion, but it is mine and putting words in my mouth doesnt make your opinion right just because you say so.

I also said I like playing around with these two systems BUT they are not better at gaming than Intel.....period. And please stop with helping me troubleshoot bro, I was building and troubleshooting PCs when you were shitting in diapers.

Let's knock off the bickering and keep the thread civil.

Are there any downsides of having just one stick of ram at start? Was thinking of going with 8gb of 3000mhz ram which is single stick and possible getting another if/when needed.