Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"Account wideness" of appearances.

Everybody knows account wide things are not really account wide but a mere "display". Except mounts (not pvp ones) meaning if you have something on a toon and you get something on a toon you didnt really get it for the whole account. Example: achievements.

Now the question is. How account-wide are appearances.

Example: toon A gets a cloak. Toon A gets the message "you unlocked cloak blablabla". If i get the exact same cloak on a different toon. Will i receive the message saying i unlocked it again?

I would check myself but cant log for several hours and not knowing is killing me.

The message will not be duplicated, appearances are truly accountwide

Quote Originally Posted by Shauren View Post
    The message will not be duplicated, appearances are truly accountwide
    You have no idea what a relief and time saver this is. Thanks good sir.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Sometimes, there is an error where when you collect an item that you already have an appearance for and get the message again, despite having it already. This is easily fixed by deleting the cache folder, though.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

The only true account-wide thing are mounts and pets. The rest are merely freeing up bag space, such as toys [Why they insist on giving them requirements is STUPID]... where as appearances you have to meet the requirement of the actual gear to make use of it for transmog; which makes sense considering it'd look silly to have a level 1 walking around with current Tier armor, for example.

Get the addon "Can I Mog it?" to know what gear has been added to your appearance list in the tooltip, including different armor alts. And if you're an avid collected get "mOnArs WardrobeHelper" to get a check list of all gear from dungeons and raids that you're missing.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2017-03-22 at 01:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeh.- View Post
    If i get the exact same cloak on a different toon. Will i receive the message saying i unlocked it again?.
    The exact same item, no.

Another item using the exact same appearance, yes. Example, if you get a tier set item, you get one notification for the tier item. You later get the non-set item that shares the appearance, you then get a notification for that item too.

If you go to statistics---pets there is something called "vanity pets owned". This is the reason i dont buy caged pets. It doesnt count for it.

So... they are not really account wide outside their usage.

Mounts on the other hand increases the "mounts owned" statistic for all toons. Except the pvp ones.

Monar addon is nice. I use it a lot to 100% appearance tab.

- - - Updated - - -
    Mounts also have their own restrictions when it comes to collection achieves. Class mounts don't count towards your total if you're not on that class, opposite faction mounts won't count, and I believe profession mounts that require the profession to use don't count if you don't have that profession. They'll be listed in your total collected but it can be wildly inaccurate compared to "Collect X Mounts" achieve progress.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    The exact same item, no.

Another item using the exact same appearance, yes. Example, if you get a tier set item, you get one notification for the tier item. You later get the non-set item that shares the appearance, you then get a notification for that item too.
    Not true..

If you have learned Cloak A and finds Cloak B with an identical design, Cloak A says "Learned (in tooltip) and Cloak B says "Learned from another item" (in tooltip).. Once you equip Cloak B" it changes to "Learned" (in tooltip), but nothing in chat.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    Definition of account wide : Collectibles where no one can tell who learned that collectible

Truly account wide:
    "blue" achievements
    pets
    mounts
    toys
    wardrobe
    tabards

Not truly account wide :
    achievements
    pvp mounts
    learned pet counter (non caged pets)
    equipped tabard counter

Account wide is one thing, but at this point I believe they should make everything account wide (basically the achievements).
    Either everything is account wide, either not. They clearly weren't sure of what they did when they did the achievements change.
    It stops some player to change main because they don't want to re do all achievements.

at this point we all know that if we want to start fresh from scratch, we have to create a new separate bnet account, instead of creating a new character like we did before pandaria.
    Last edited by Cæli; 2017-04-20 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yot View Post
    Mounts also have their own restrictions when it comes to collection achieves. Class mounts don't count towards your total if you're not on that class, opposite faction mounts won't count, and I believe profession mounts that require the profession to use don't count if you don't have that profession. They'll be listed in your total collected but it can be wildly inaccurate compared to "Collect X Mounts" achieve progress.
    What you said for class mounts and faction mounts is true, but profession mounts counts on all characters.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Not true..

If you have learned Cloak A and finds Cloak B with an identical design, Cloak A says "Learned (in tooltip) and Cloak B says "Learned from another item" (in tooltip).. Once you equip Cloak B" it changes to "Learned" (in tooltip), but nothing in chat.
    Bolded part is what we were talking about a month ago, not the tooltip information, so yeah, it's true.

Edit: This of course only goes for the items that would give you the information in chat to begin with. All the random greens "of the xyz" doesn't work like that.
    Last edited by mmoc4ce4b1614a; 2017-04-20 at 09:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyway the text printed or not doesn't matter.

what matters is the tooltip, checking if the exact entry has been learned (use can i mog it for instance), because who knows how behaves the text printed, maybe it's buggy or will be bugged for a week, you can never know

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    Anyway the text printed or not doesn't matter.
    Considering that the OP asked specifically about that, I'd say it does matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering that the OP asked specifically about that, I'd say it does matter.
    No, op is a collector, he wanted to know if wardrobe was truly account wide, not something regarding how the learned printed text behave, and effectively checking the tooltip is more safe than believing that printed text

Deleted
    No, op is a collector, he wanted to know if wardrobe was truly account wide, not something regarding how the learned printed text behave, and effectively checking the tooltip is more safe than believing that printed text
    Allow me to clarify regarding what it was I actually replied to a month ago, when this thread was made:

If i get the exact same cloak on a different toon. Will i receive the message saying i unlocked it again?
    Please, this thread is still only one page long, it doesn't take much time to read it all.

Normal appearences are account wide.
    Artifact weapon appearances (like hidden skins) are not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Allow me to clarify regarding what it was I actually replied to a month ago, when this thread was made:

Please, this thread is still only one page long, it doesn't take much time to read it all.
    Was it only an example trying to answer his real demand, yes or no ?

Deleted
    Was it only an example trying to answer his real demand, yes or no ?
    Yes, it was an example. And I replied according to that example.

Tooltip is still irrelevant when it comes to that example. I totally get that the information on the tooltip is far more accurate, as I have observed a lack of chat-info myself when unlocking appearances, most noticable when doing quests with multiple unlearned appearances as rewards and none of them are listed in chat upon completion. I get that. But the example given, and my reply to that example, focused on the message in the chatbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it was an example. And I replied according to that example.

Tooltip is still irrelevant when it comes to that example. I totally get that the information on the tooltip is far more accurate, as I have observed a lack of chat-info myself when unlocking appearances, most noticable when doing quests with multiple unlearned appearances as rewards and none of them are listed in chat upon completion. I get that. But the example given, and my reply to that example, focused on the message in the chatbox.
    yes and since the point was to know if wardrobe is truly account wide, I said that you should rather ignore that printed text for collection purpose and instead check the tooltip all the time (and also with can I mog the tooltip directly prove that if you learn an item on char a, it'll get unlocked on char b), why would you say that text matters, look at that great contribution we're having here consequently discussing literally about syntax and other pointless things, let's not clutter that thread further

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Get the addon "Can I Mog it?" to know what gear has been added to your appearance list in the tooltip, including different armor alts. And if you're an avid collected get "mOnArs WardrobeHelper" to get a check list of all gear from dungeons and raids that you're missing.
    Never used mOnArs WardrobeHelper is it heavy on Memory?