Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast

Ads are the aids of the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    A guy pissing on my car every day.
    I invest in better garage door and make sure to park it inside so the guy can't do it anymore.
    Door ring.
    Behind the door, a smart dressed man with a nice smile on his face.
    "Hello, my name is Steven, for the past four weeks I've been pissing your car. I know it is a slight inconvenience, but I would be forever in your debt if you could remove the garage door so I could continue to do so. I shall try to drink as much water as possible to make the smell slightly better."

Pretty much the "disable the adblock" situation from the users standpoint.
    This is one of the best descriptions on the topic that I've seen so far.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    This site is what made me get adblocker, occasionally i turn it off to see if things have gotten better, nope, back on it goes.
    same, it was like what, 7 or 8 years ago, when the ads really slowed down everything, autoplay ads with sound got more and more annoying etc, Ill gladly support sites, that dont have super intrusive ads and shut off adblock there, but so far, MMOC isnt one of them, the random effing twitch autoplay is pissing me off enough already

7+ Year Old Account
    I've tried this before. Not specifically with this site, but a couple sites earlier on when I first started using ad blockers. Every single one of them had video, sound, auto playing, crap that would pop up over top of whatever you were trying to do and annoy the hell out of you. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post

Ads are the aids of the internet.
    I love it whenever people take screenshots showing the actual number of ads, the response from the mods is to lie and say that isn't happening.

It's hilarious.

This site made me get an adblocker.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    I love it whenever people take screenshots showing the actual number of ads, the response from the mods is to lie and say that isn't happening.

It's hilarious.
    It's actually worse. They didn't so much say "it's not happening" as "it's not our problem because the ads aren't coming directly from us".

Seeing how this site is the reason I put adblock programs on my computer it isn't going to happen. I would love to support and help out the site, but there are too many questionable ads. You also have the annoying ass ones that used to and might still be at the bottom of the screen, they blare noise way above the audible level of anything else I listen too. When you have a headset on it is deafening, if you have speakers on it wakes the dead much less the people in your own house. I have also had dozen of adds set off virus protection or malware warnings. Sure you can report them and they take care of it, but I wont keep rolling those dice.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

MMO-C's Moderation policy doesn't warrant turning off AdBlocker, even if they did reign in their adds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    LOL NOPE. I'd rather have my internet AIDS free.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Putricide View Post
    MMO-C's Moderation policy doesn't warrant turning off AdBlocker, even if they did reign in their adds.
    Come on, Hitler... I mean Endus isn't that bad....

I'm disabling my adblocker for no site at all, so also not for mmo-c.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    LOL NOPE. I'd rather have my internet AIDS free.

- - - Updated - - -

Come on, Hitler... I mean Endus isn't that bad....
    Well, maybe not Kim Jong Un bad as far as censoring and bias, but he is pretty close and almost as close to pariah status as you can be.

10+ Year Old Account
    A few examples:
    adtechus.com -- ) known to spread malvare (blocked by no-script)
    broadcastbed.com --) has a site ( http://broadcastbed.com/ ) weird shit 1.st time i see it
    pingdom.net --) its a website performace monitoring site (yeah totaly usless for us)
    crwdcntrl.net --) known to spread viruses (http://www.sitealyzer.net/en/p/sb/re...crwdcntrl.net/ a fix)

I have only 6 blocked adds, since the rest are blocked by no-script.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I have data caps and enabling it severely slows my already slow connection. I simply cannot disable/whitelist any site. Granted, this site is much better than most, especially compared to WoWHead, but the occasional graphic, auto-loading video, or annoying as hell max-volume sound byte that plays from the ad totally destroys my experience.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    Because you're biased. Painfully so. After all, you literally just said that a 70 second difference in load times isn't much of a slow down. Hence the "I'm going to assume there's a typo there." It was either the "doesn't" or the "74." It was impossible to tell either way.

And again, not that it really matters due to you being a moderator and thus painfully bias on the topic.
    ...How am I 'painfully biased'. I'm literally saying I use adblock because of that difference.

To clarify, it takes 74 seconds to 'fully' load the page (where it indicates no more data is being loaded), and 4 seconds with adblock. Thats huge. HOWEVER, despite that, I can still read and use the page normally for the most part (hence the 'no slowdown' comment).
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I'd enable it if it didn't make the pages take so long to load, i don't think its the ads themselves that bother me its just that its pulling from like 30-35 domains. so ublock on it just loads way faster, with it off firefox just goes all sluggish until its done reading from all those trackers.

I always thought you had to actually click the ads to get the unique click monies i remember my first wow guild had a site with a banner and the guy saying we should click it every so often so it shaves 10c off his domain rental i think it was.

i mean i can try to remember to click an ad once a week or something if that helps.

This site is what made me get adblocker, SNIP...
    Same here.
    This site is one of the main reasons I gave it a try. Was worth it too.

Now I run adblocker on all my computers.

10+ Year Old Account
    This site is what made me get adblocker, occasionally i turn it off to see if things have gotten better, nope, back on it goes.
    This, I never bothered with adblockers on any other site until this one started playing video ads that fucking blared out my speakers. You couldnt pause them, turn them off, and even if you muted them, ANOTHER video ad would play after that and do the same shit again.

Unless you start screening your ads and refuse that shit from being linked MMO-champ can royally fuck right off with it.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    wowhead is even worse than mmo-champion and somehow they can get through adblock.
    For WoWhead, download "Ublock Origin" for your browser. This fixes the issue with Wowhead.

i use script blocker and ghostery, haven't had any new banners pop up
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.