What is a decent processor

Looking at a new computer, found myself a good deal. Comes with Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700 (3.6 GHz). Is that fine for gaming? I play WoW, Battlefield 1, and Diablo.

To compare, I currently have a i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50 GHz

Is the new one a big difference? Better? I do not know a lot about computers
    "If you don't know who I am -- then maybe your best course is to tread lightly." - W.W.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That CPU of yours. It's easily overclocked, to push out quite a bit more performance... have you ever overclocked it?

And what else is in your computer? What else is in this computer you're thinking of buying? Why do you want to upgrade?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I have never over-clocked it, I have also never added or changed anything. I have a GTX 960 and only 8gb of RAM. No SSD.

What I am looking at is the Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700 (3.6 GHz), GTX 1080, 32g DDR4, 1 TB HDD and 240gb SSD.

I am wanting to run everything smoothly, especially BF1. I will also be getting a new Monitor
    "If you don't know who I am -- then maybe your best course is to tread lightly." - W.W.

For your needs, i7-7700 is a downgrade to a mild oc'd 4690k. You'd also need to change your mainboard and ram to use it, so all in all it's a huge waste of money that can be invested in a better gpu/monitor.

Better off taking a 7600k for gaming

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    But why...?

If he hasn't even considered overclocking, what he could do is overclock his CPU, then use the money he'll save not buying a new motherboard and RAM as well and get a solid GPU. For instance a 1080 or 1080 Ti.
    "A flower.

BF1 will benefit from the i7.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    Okay, fair enough.

Is one game worth it for $500-600 worth of upgrades, though?
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Okay, fair enough.

Is one game worth it for $500-600 worth of upgrades, though?
    Nope. Def should keep the 4690k, OC a bit and upgrade around it.

Maybe upgrade to a 4770 or 4790?

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    It will benefit, but how much are we talking?

This benchmark does not have a 4690k, but the 6600k is not really much better than the 4690k:
    http://www.techspot.com/review/1267-...rks/page4.html

There is virtually no difference between the i5 and the i7. Even the i3 is holding above 60 in DX11.

and here's another one:
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-benc...5-i7-fx/page-2

Again, no 4690k, but it does have an i5-6400 running at 2.7ghz, which a 4690k should perform better than, and it's still easily holding above 60FPS. Sure, the i7s scale better and you get more FPS, the question really becomes do you need that FPS?

Keep in mind that becnhmarks are typically done with Ultra/Max settings. There are always multiple settings that have nearly no impact on how the game looks but can have a massive effect on the CPU. Turn a couple things down just a little, makes no noticeable difference, then you can get even more FPS.

So while yes, the game does scale well with more cores and is well known for this, a lot of people take that to mean it doesn't run well on i3s/i5s at all. This is simply not the case. It still runs great, even on an i3.

Yes, games will start using more cores in the coming years, I expect for the next 2-3 i5s will still be fine though. If you want more cores you really need to look at Ryzen, not i7s, however, that's only if you do not have a currently capable CPU, which the OP does have.

@OP I would hold off on upgrading that CPU as there is really not anything out there right now that it can not handle, especially in the games you listed. In the next 3-5 years there will be, and by then we'll have better CPUs from both AMD and intel. I would just recommend a CPU Cooler if you don't have an aftermarket one and a nice OC on your current CPU. It will last you at least another couple years and depending on your current GPU and Monitor, the money will likely be better spent improving one or both of those.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe upgrade to a 4770 or 4790?
    Yeah, because there's a huge difference in gaming with HT and larger L3 cache, amirite? Oh wait, benchmarks I just linked show little to no difference between an i5 and an i7, even in a game well known to make use of more cores/threads. In the coming years, yes, games will start to make more use of more core/threads, but we aren't quite there yet. My recommendation to anyone is, if you already have a 2500k or newer, wait until those games are actually out and we have actual benchmarks showing MASSIVE improvements going from a 4c/4t system to at least a 6c/12t system. If you don't have anything at all right now or your CPU is older than that, get a Ryzen or a cheap budget intel build with a Pentium or i3 for the time being. Seriously, look at this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnCT1C_H3qY

Nearly all the games play very acceptably, even on the Pentium, but especially on the i3. Yes, in the future, more cores/threads will become needed. At the time, they are not, so if what you have can handle what you doing, why spend money to upgrade until the games that make use of the hardware are actually here?

Thanks for the replies. I have decided just to go with a new rig entirely. It was a good deal and time for an upgrade anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Phatte View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I have decided just to go with a new rig entirely. It was a good deal and time for an upgrade anyway
    Cool what you go with?

Dont mean to be harsh but why do you ask advice and when given, dismiss it altogether and do something completely opposite?

Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    Dont mean to be harsh but why do you ask advice and when given, dismiss it altogether and do something completely opposite?
    It wasn't just this site that I asked for advice on I should have made it clear that I'm not on a tight budget and was willing to spend a bit

To the other poster above, I ended up with a 32g DD4R, 1 TB HDD, 240g Samsung SSD, i7 7700(3.6ghz) and GTX 1080

Also getting an ACER predator monitor, 144hz

It wasn't just this site that I asked for advice on I should have made it clear that I'm not on a tight budget and was willing to spend a bit

To the other poster above, I ended up with a 32g DD4R, 1 TB HDD, 240g Samsung SSD, i7 7700(3.6ghz) and GTX 1080

Also getting an ACER predator monitor, 144hz
    Well, wherever you got advice from, you got bad advice. You could have simply updated the GPU in your old rig, gotten the new monitor and had pretty much identical performance to your new rig, while spending far far less.

All that RAM? Take a look at this link:
    http://www.techspot.com/article/1043...ram/page3.html

With 65(!!) Chrome Tabs open, virtually no difference going from 4GB to 8GB, and no difference going from 8GB to 16GB. You went with 32GB?!?!? Games will certainly use more RAM if it's there. They love to load stuff up just in case it needs it and leave stuff there in case it needs it again. If you have less RAM, it just loads less stuff and gets rid of stuff faster. Does not have much of an impact on performance at all.

On the 7700(not even a K?): With it not being overclockable, you likely could have gotten better performance out of your old CPU just by overclocking it. You actually downgraded your CPU. Seriously. The people that gave you advice told you to downgrade.

Well, hope you enjoy your new rig. The 1080 will allow you to turn some settings up, but especially in WoW, your FPS will still tank in CPU bound areas and you can't even OC your new CPU to mitigate some of that.

Well I don't know the first thing about overclocking anyway. I want to plug in and play. Also, another game I play heavily is cities skylines and with 1100 mods and assets I was hitting the max with 8gb of ram

10+ Year Old Account
    1100 mods and assets??!?!?!?
    "A flower.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    It is helpful for you

User was infracted
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2017-04-20 at 11:50 PM.