Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    None of those (other than large ad banners, depending on your definition) are something we display.
    Not now perhaps, but in the past I've had some of those happening on MMO-C. Particularily the loud sound bullshit. Sorry to disagree with you, but what you just said isn't true for past ads at all.

But you're right, the main problem with MMO-C doesn't fall into those categories. I just wish you could get it across to curse that "less is more". So many of us would whitelist you guys if only the script stuff would stop. It actually slows loading time of the site down by a minute (or more if you're unlucky). But you're aware of it and it's not in your power to change that, I know.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I'm interested in collecting feedback, not stopping discussion of it. We are testing something new to try and avoid other annoying solutions, such as ads that go through adblock.

None of those (other than large ad banners, depending on your definition) are something we display.
    Feedback: The reason most of us use adblockers is due to sites which have ads that fall under this:

Malware warnings
    Auto-redirect
    cover content you are trying to view
    cover content you are trying to view, then open a new tab when you click the "x" to close it - very annoying
    imitate the content you are viewing, such as navigation buttons which take you away from the site
    play automatically - WITH SOUND!!!! - auto playing ads are OK if muted by default
    flashy adds
    slow down page load times dramatically

pretty much all of those are cancerous adds people don't want to see

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm interested in collecting feedback, not stopping discussion of it. We are testing something new to try and avoid other annoying solutions, such as ads that go through adblock.

You can't stop ad blockers, even if you can get past ad block, others will find a way to counter. If ads as a whole weren't so invasive, they wouldn't get blocked.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2017-04-20 at 05:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I'm using adblock. Have been for years. Also I will complain when the thing is taking up a quarter of my damn screen. Maybe if they actually moderated their adds I'd whitelist them. Ever think about that?
    Couldn't agree more.

This whitelist box popping up is going to make me never want to return to this site again....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    uBlock doesn't filter out that "Flying Progress Check" banner at the top of every page. Thinking of going back to Adguard which does the job nicely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    uBlock doesn't filter out that "Flying Progress Check" banner at the top of every page. Thinking of going back to Adguard which does the job nicely.
    ublock does actually, just right click on the banner and select block element.

not heard of adguard, ill give that one a try sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

This whitelist box popping up is going to make me never want to return to this site again....
    You only should be seeing it every couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    Feedback: The reason most of us use adblockers is due to sites which have ads that fall under this:

Malware warnings
    Auto-redirect
    cover content you are trying to view
    cover content you are trying to view, then open a new tab when you click the "x" to close it - very annoying
    imitate the content you are viewing, such as navigation buttons which take you away from the site
    play automatically - WITH SOUND!!!! - auto playing ads are OK if muted by default
    flashy adds
    slow down page load times dramatically

pretty much all of those are cancerous adds people don't want to see
    Definitely don't want to display most of those. Flashy ads is pretty subjective, and performance is always something we would like to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Not now perhaps, but in the past I've had some of those happening on MMO-C. Particularily the loud sound bullshit. Sorry to disagree with you, but what you just said isn't true for past ads at all.

But you're right, the main problem with MMO-C doesn't fall into those categories. I just wish you could get it across to curse that "less is more". So many of us would whitelist you guys if only the script stuff would stop. It actually slows loading time of the site down by a minute (or more if you're unlucky). But you're aware of it and it's not in your power to change that, I know.
    Yeah, definitly have had a few of them pop up in the past. Not intentional at all, and removed as soon as someone reports them.

If you do unblock after blocking, you will receive lighter ads if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Getting a notification pop up at the bottom sometimes telling me to "whitelist MMO champion" because I'm using an adblocker.

Postception @_@

10+ Year Old Account
    ublock does actually, just right click on the banner and select block element.
    Done it now but the filter syntax seems a bit weird, it doesn't mention the URL of the banner anywhere like other Adblockers use. This is the filter that gets added to uBlock's "My Filters" list to actually block the whole element that takes up the space of the banner:

Code:
    www.mmo-champion.com##.body_wrapper > div:nth-of-type(3)
    This means that if a similar element is used to display a non-Ad it will be unintentionally blocked.
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2017-04-20 at 06:26 PM.

It's not hard to use another browser extension or user CSS to disable the whitelist pop-up.

Ads are dead. Just so we're on the same level here; I mean to say, third party sourced ads, without warranty on any damages suffered from ransomware, are dead. Or dying.

First of all, what's the real issue here?
    1. Ads are fucking obnoxious and loud. Lots of flashy shit to draw attention, as big as they can get away with and as loud as they think it needs to be, for you to be unable to ignore it.
    2. Ads do not require any permissions, nor do they require any clicks (a common misunderstanding), to infect your machine with all sorts of viruses and wares. Wares that you absolutely need to prevent from reaching your PC any possible way.

These two reasons, are why people use Ad-blockers. 1 is usually why they start using them, 2 is why they keep using them.

The last few years have seen an immense increase in advanced ransomware around the globe. Some of it harmless (finish a Japanese game on the hardest difficulty possible (do understand that technically it will still nearly be impossible to unlock your files, unless you're a godlevel player)), some of it simply asks you to empty your bankaccounts. In all scenario's, if you do not comply to the request, all your files will be impossible to access, until cracked and the most recent ransomware has not been cracked.

From another point of view; The march of the Ad-blocker is unstoppable. More and more people rightfully use them. They have good reason to do so and there's no incentive to make them think otherwise, mostly related to problems 1 and 2. Google is developing its own Ad-Block service, just to be able to manage and streamline their users into appropriate ads, obviously as a means to secure their ad revenue and potentially beat their competition. More and more sites see their ad-revenue drop and respond in a grotesquely fashion, much like MMO-C does. Tweakers.net a Dutch TECH-blog confronts the users with a whitelist request on the frontpage every time they access the site. A techblog, that understands the risks completely. Panic worldwide, because there is no actual alternative to ad-revenue.

Much of this actually has to do with the fact that ads have become centralised services. Which probably seemed like a good idea at the time. Have one centralised paid service that spreads ads across the globe and safe resources for the platform you're working on and its primary business model. However, this centralised distribution also has one major downside. All webpages that use that one service are potential sources of infection. We've seen this over the course of time, where several of these services suddenly distributed severe malware and affected above 10K machines within a day.

A secondary reason why centralisation was a bad idea, is because of the insurance. If I get infected with ransomware today and it happens to impact my business, there is no party that takes responsibility. Maybe in the US there could(?) somehow be a way to sue to source of the distribution, but good luck proving that. So when I whitelist a site, I want ensurence. I want that website to take responsibility for their ads. Not just the ad revenue they make, also the risk they should cover, is an important aspect of the choice to whitelist.

So basically, two ways to fix my problem;
    1. Decentralise (a.k.a. bring back under ownership) the ad service.
    > Take control over what and how ads are shown and take control over the safety of said ads.
    2. Provide insurance as a basic rule for the people that whitelist your site and, important, follow up on the promise.
    > When MMO-C notices it has spread malware and I have whitelisted MMO-C, compensate that user if he can prove that he's been struck by that malware. I realize that needs to be worked out, I'm just giving you the rough sketch.

Unless those two basic needs, both need to be true, are met, I will never whitelist any site and never stop using an Ad-blocker.

Now, you might say; The web will fight Ad-blockers.
    1. They might add paywalls
    2. They might block Ad-blockers
    3. They might ban Ad-block users
    4. They might think of options I haven't thought of yet

Ad-block is simply a userfriendly application that simplifies stupid-user interaction and allows for easy access blocking of ad-services. But you can't stop people from modifying their HOST file, or alter their router settings. Ad-block, be it with an actual adblocker or otherwise is here to stay. The floodgates have been opened and and will be immensely hard to close again.

Deleted
    Done it now but the filter syntax seems a bit weird, it doesn't mention the URL of the banner anywhere like other Adblockers use. This is the filter that gets added to uBlock's "My Filters" list to actually block the whole element that takes up the space of the banner:

Code:
    www.mmo-champion.com##.body_wrapper > div:nth-of-type(3)
    This means that if a similar element is used to display a non-Ad it will be unintentionally blocked.

for me it was this

Code:
    ||media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2017/april/flightTestBanner.jpg

You only should be seeing it every couple of days.

Definitely don't want to display most of those. Flashy ads is pretty subjective, and performance is always something we would like to improve.

Yeah, definitly have had a few of them pop up in the past. Not intentional at all, and removed as soon as someone reports them.

yes, but mmo-champion has fit some of those at least in the past, namely adds that auto-play with sound.

Personally, I've disabled my adblock, but don't see any with my Chrome browser. I see a video ad at the bottom with edge, so idk.

10+ Year Old Account
    for me it was this

Code:
    ||media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2017/april/flightTestBanner.jpg
    Tried that one too but then you have to update it every month or whenever the banner changes. Also it doesn't get rid of the entire space and leaves the parent element behind.

In the end I put a wildcard after news.

Code:
    ||media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/*
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2017-04-20 at 07:13 PM.

Deleted
    Tried that one too but then you have to update it every month or whenever the banner changes. Also it doesn't get rid of the entire space and leaves the parent element behind.
    oh right, this is the first time ive tried blocking a banner, only actually blocked it to reply to that post saying you couldnt :P the banner never bothered me much really.

In the end I put a wildcard after news.

Code:
    ||media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/*
    That would block every image in news posts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    yes, but mmo-champion has fit some of those at least in the past, namely adds that auto-play with sound.

Personally, I've disabled my adblock, but don't see any with my Chrome browser. I see a video ad at the bottom with edge, so idk.
    Yeah, definitely don't want to show them, sometimes they slip through the cracks. We usually get them removed pretty quickly though.

10+ Year Old Account
    @chaud

Had this site not had malware ads, loud ads, and slow down to a crawl, I would not have Adblock or Ublock.

Are you sure? I mean, of all people you're one of the few that should be, but it sounds incredulous. To be frank, it's not that I want "lighter" ads. My main gripe, as I have pointed out so many times, is load time. Is that what you mean by "lighter ads"? I may try it eventually, but I don't feel hopeful.

As a side note, would it help if I sent you a screen of Chrome doing its analysis thing showing how some scripts only stop after a minute? Again, I'm sure your tech guys know those stats, just offering...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Would love to support the site, but since the choice is between supporting it and being able to use it, I've chosen to use it.

7+ Year Old Account
    To add on to what has already been stated:
    1. The site has a history of having adds that contain malware.
    2. The site has a history of having VERY intrusive adds; mainly having loud sounds.
    3. The site, at times, loads a shit ton of adds which severely affects the performance of a browser.

Guarantee that none of the above will happen again, and I will happily white list mmo-c.