Poll: Does wow need another stat squish

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Does wow need another stat squish.

Let's be honest in MOP We had the HP Of a mythic HFC Raider. Now in Legion our tanks will have 100m hp at the end of the expansion. are you in for a stat squish or no? My last post for now

I don't know why instead of doing these massive ilvl, HP, and AP stats why they don't just use a 2-3 level measurement system.

At 0-100 gear rating is green,
    At 100-110 gear rating is blue, visually the same stats but with a multiplier
    At 110 gear rating is orange, visually the same stats but with a multiplier

Technically, everything would be the same as it is now, but the color ratings would translate ilvl, HP, DPS, to more reasonable numbers.

Deleted
    Stat squishing is a band aid effect. There needs to be something in place that scales stats correctly in the long term as opposed to a soft reset every couple of expansions.

Christ knows what that can be though. I'll let the boffins figure that out.

If they found a way around the 32bit limit on boss health, that was the reason for the squish in the first place. Then I don't see a problem with the numbers.

Using 64bit integers, we would have quite a lot of way to go before the numbers got high enough to be a problem.
    Last edited by Quibble; 2017-04-20 at 07:56 PM.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but just squishing the stats the way they did in WOD won't help. It wasn't NEARLY enough. I think they need to go to some sort of percentage based system instead. If something isn't done, we'll be using scientific notation next expanison.

It's rather inevitable.

Yes.

Blizzard mentioned they'd be trying something different with the next squish though, so we'll see what they have up their sleeves.

Stat squish is fine if they just baseline squish it at the start of every expansion.

For example, every new expansion, dps of first tier is squished to 20k, health to 100k

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like such big numbers. I used to be okay with them but, at least for me, areas like PvP became significantly worse, because it's disheartening to see people going from 300k to full 5 millions because a healer was nearby. It was somewhat better if they went from 300 to 5000 health because it seemed a reasonable amount to whittle off anew.
    (It's all in my mind, I know. But still)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taygames View Post
    Let's be honest in MOP We had the HP Of a mythic HFC Raider. Now in Legion our tanks will have 100m hp at the end of the expansion. are you in for a stat squish or no? My last post for now
    Sadly, it isn't a valid change in the long run but I rather let the ones that are paid to think about it, do it. I have not actual idea of the main system for their stats idea.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Old squish was because the hp of the bosses were too high for integer numbers, so they couldn't go higher. They don't have that problem anymore, so i guess it will take time untill we see the next squish.

I think Activision-Blizzard's marketing team pushed the idea that "The bigger the numbers, the bigger the hype!"

Now I almost need a scientific calculator just to see how much more AP I need for my next trait...

Quote Originally Posted by Quibble View Post
    If they found a way around the 32bit limit on boss health, that was the reason for the quish in the first place. Then I don't see a problem with the numbers.

Using 64bit integers, we would have quite a lot of way to go before the numbers got high enough to be a problem.
    True as that may be, players (and devs, mind you) will have a hard time taking in the bigger numbers when they come... After 100bilion... But still, we got some time

Madness will consume you!!!

Not just a stats squish but an entire rework of scaling progression. Right now the problem is that 900 to 910 gives more stats than 500 to 510. 10 ilvl should always give the same amount of upgrade regardless of how high you are in the first place.

no should have never been done in the first place...
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    The last squish really messed up scaling for low levels, yes it's old irrelevant content but still.

They can't squish too much either to avoid decimals.

Tbh they squished things how artifact power is displayed (1 million instead of 1.000.000), and theres addons to round down big numbers.

7+ Year Old Account
    The problem is, what we have now is unsustainable. Even if the servers can handle it behind the scenes by using 64-bit integers, it will still be impossible to read or even display properly. I really don't want to have to use scientific notation to show health/dps numbers. If they keep it up tank health will hit googolplex range.

7+ Year Old Account
    No stat squishs is needed til next expansion.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

Let's be honest in MOP We had the HP Of a mythic HFC Raider.
    You led with this so presumably you think it's a salient point of contention. My question is, why? What does it even mean?

In MOP there was no mythic HFC and there were no mythic HFC raiders and that perspective wasn't even conceivable by the people playing. Half of the people in arena are playing with only %'s displayed or no numeric display on health bars at all, and to the player's perspective an attack that does ~10% of someone's health at 5000hp does ~10% of their health at 500,000hp.

The only leg anyone has to stand on with this debate boils down to whether or not you like big numbers in your floating combat text. Some people don't. Some people do. But saying something like, "Now in Legion our tanks will have 100m hp at the end of the expansion" as though that fact is going to somehow turn the game universe on its head, is really a lot of words that aren't saying anything.

They resolved the one mechanical problem of large numeric values, and that was the old 32bit issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

7+ Year Old Account
    that's a bit far fetched maybe 12 mil with buffs flasks and shit but no-one is gonna have near that much hp
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396