Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.

Another Terrorist attack in France.

Just saw this on the news but there's barely any info around.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...attack/523812/

The attack Thursday on the Champs Elysées in Paris, which killed one police officer and wounded two others, is the latest terrorist assault in a country that has been repeatedly struck by jihadist militants in recent years. Since 2012, terrorists have attacked targets including a Jewish school near Toulouse; the offices of the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo and a kosher market; the Bataclan concert hall and several other locations in Paris in a coordinated act of violence that killed some 130 people in November 2015; and a seaside promenade in Nice on Bastille Day 2016 in a truck attack that killed more than 80. In all, well over 200 people have died in the recent attacks—and ISIS has claimed responsibility for many of them, including Thursday’s.

That attack came three days before a crucial presidential election in which Marine Le Pen, the candidate of the far-right National Front, is expected to reach the second round. Le Pen has channeled voters’ anger and frustration over terrorist violence to call for tougher immigration restrictions. Incidents like Thursday’s that appear to show ISIS’s capability to strike at will in the heart of Europe could embolden her campaign and those of other far-right parties.

Despite the mass-casualty assaults ISIS has claimed in Paris and Nice, many recent attacks attributed to the group have been smaller in scale; the toll from Thursday’s so far stands at one fatality. But the psychological impact could be far-reaching. The incident has occurred in an environment of skepticism and fear about increased immigration; a migrant and refugee crisis stemming largely from the Syria civil war that Europe has been unable to cope with; and continuing economic upheaval.

Thursday’s attack appears to have been carried out by a single gunman, and the ISIS claim of responsibility was unusually swift in coming; the group often waits a day or two before issuing a formal claim, if it does so at all. In asserting responsibility via its official news agency Amaq, the group identified the attacker by the name Abu Yusuf al-Beljiki—as Rukmini Callimachi of The New York Times wrote on Twitter, this is a nom de guerre that translates to Abu Yusuf the Belgian. If indeed the attacker was Belgian, he would be the latest in a line of attackers in France who originated in Belgium. French authorities claim to have identified the attacker but did not publicly name him. Separately, Reuters reported Thursday that French police had issued an arrest warrant for a second suspect who reportedly arrived in France from Belgium by train.

Belgian citizens were connected to the November 2015 Paris attacks. At least one of those attackers, in turn, was later linked to an attack in Brussels in March 2016 that killed 30 people. As I wrote at the time:

There were warning signs—several of them—before the Brussels attacks: Belgium has long been known as Europe’s hub for Islamist radicals. More Belgians have joined ISIS as a proportion of the population than have people from any other Western country. Many of the Paris attackers were Belgian nationals or residents. One particular Brussels neighborhood, Molenbeek, has come under scrutiny from counterterrorism officials as well as the media as the epicenter of Belgian jihadism. Another, Schaerbeek, where police raids in the aftermath of Tuesday’s attacks were carried out, will likely face similar scrutiny soon. Europol, the EU’s police agency, warned as far back as January that ISIS “special forces” had planned to target European cities in attacks like those on Mumbai, India, in 2008.
    ISIS, despite recent territorial losses in Iraq and Syria, clearly remains capable of striking Europe—or at least inspiring followers to strike there. In the closing stages of a heated presidential campaign in France, it may be capable of swaying the country’s politics, too.
    TL;DR: One police officer dead, shooter was a radical Islamist from Belgium, ISIS claimed responsibility.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2017-04-21 at 07:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Page 3 of Gen OT

I think there is another thread about it, another senseless tragedy.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    There was a thread.. @Endus closed it because imaginary "Islamophobia". We mere mortals are not mature enough to speak about such things.
    Last edited by Trollhammer; 2017-04-21 at 07:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollhammer View Post
    There was a thread.. @Endus closed it because imaginary "Islamophobia"
    Well, living in Europe kind of comes with a certain fear of Islam, but it's quite justified to be honest. At least for those of us who have been exposed and affected by it. I assume he is from the US or elsewhere not in Europe, he'd have a different take on this otherwise, easy to call names and forbid discussion on topics that are a few thousand miles away from oneself...

This is, once again, terrible news. Heads of state should up the game and take serious action, there's a lot of lives being lost to this for the absolute and most ridiculous reasons even.
    Last edited by Zoibert the Bear; 2017-04-21 at 07:32 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    Well, living in Europe kind of comes with a certain fear of Islam, but it's quite justified to be honest. At least for those of us who have been exposed and affected by it.

This is, once again, terrible news. Heads of state should up the game and take serious action, there's a lot of lives being lost to this for the absolute and most ridiculous reasons even.
    Can't really do much can you. You can take a boat from north Africa and end up in marseille. If a terrorist threat starts developing full on in Europe, we're fucked. Serves us well though. Next time maybe we think twice about joining our "ally" in spreading chaos in the middle east.

Well, living in Europe kind of comes with a certain fear of Islam, but it's quite justified to be honest. At least for those of us who have been exposed and affected by it. I assume he is from the US or elsewhere not in Europe, he'd have a different take on this otherwise, easy to call names and forbid discussion on topics that are a few thousand miles away from oneself...

It had more to do with the wildly racist comments though.
    There is no excuse for that, no matter where you live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TJrogue View Post
    Can't really do much can you. You can take a boat from north Africa and end up in marseille. If a terrorist threat starts developing full on in Europe, we're fucked. Serves us well though. Next time maybe we think twice about joining our "ally" in spreading chaos in the middle east.
    I can't but overwhelmingly agree on that. We've brought this upon ourselves, both via involvement in the Middle East and by allowing an uncontrolled flux of immigration to keep pouring into the heart of Europe.

The former has ultimately caused the latter though, so you are absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    It had more to do with the wildly racist comments though.
    There is no excuse for that, no matter where you live.
    I have not had the pleasure to go over the other thread, but judging by the definition of racist that is so widely thrown around these days, I'm more inclined towards uninformed generalization rather than flat out racism.

Unfortunetly you are forbidden to say the thruth...... if you say anything about that religion or the people that commit these acts of terror. You get banned ..... and labelled a racist

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilek View Post
    Unfortunetly you are forbidden to say the thruth...... if you say anything about that religion or the people that commit these acts of terror. You get banned ..... and labelled a racist
    If you say stuff like, "Islam is a terrorist religion" ofcourse you are a rascist. 99.99999% of all people practising islam is not a terrorist so it would make you either really stupid or a rascist if you actually think it's the religion that's the problem. The problem is that the countries in the middle east are not as developed as the countries in the west and therefore many uneducated people become brainwashed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanzal View Post
    If you say stuff like, "Islam is a terrorist religion" ofcourse you are a rascist. 99.99999% of all people practising islam is not a terrorist so it would make you either really stupid or a rascist if you actually think it's the religion that's the problem. The problem is that the countries in the middle east are not as developed as the countries in the west and therefore many uneducated people become brainwashed.
    99.99999%? Where did you pull up that number?

Most of the terrorists in Europe are educated and grown up in Europe - not uneducated in Middle East.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I can't but overwhelmingly agree on that. We've brought this upon ourselves, both via involvement in the Middle East and by allowing an uncontrolled flux of immigration to keep pouring into the heart of Europe.

The former has ultimately caused the latter though, so you are absolutely right.

I have not had the pleasure to go over the other thread, but judging by the definition of racist that is so widely thrown around these days, I'm more inclined towards uninformed generalization rather than flat out racism.
    No, it generally turns into flat out racism pretty fast on these forums.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    99.99999%? Where did you pull up that number?

Most of the terrorists in Europe are educated and grown up in Europe - not uneducated in Middle East.
    Well, do you want to count the terrorists that committed crimes and then do the numbers? There are 1.6 billions of muslims in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollhammer View Post
    There was a thread.. @Endus closed it because imaginary "Islamophobia". We mere mortals are not mature enough to speak about such things.
    i dont understand this - all we want to talk here in cozy atmosphere is about "cultural enrichement " they bring to EU and threads get closed

- - - Updated - - -

then what if we reiterat it into academic thesis :

"statistical analysis of which religion is most often chosen by terrorists as their primary faith system during last 20 year period"

gosh i wonder which one would win also i wonder how would PC warriors pin "rasism" to just analysis of facts - would they call math and probability rasist too ?
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2017-04-21 at 09:18 AM.

Well, do you want to count the terrorists that committed crimes and then do the numbers? There are 1.6 billions of muslims in the world.
    Well, not all nazis killed jews. That political "power" did a lot of great and truthful things before the holocaust.
    Yet, no one is saying "oh I'm sure not all nazis hate jews! there were X millions of nazis and only their military committed crimes"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    i dont understand this - all we want to talk here in cozy atmosphere is about "cultural enrichement " they bring to EU and threads get closed

- - - Updated - - -

then what if we reiterat it into academic thesis :

"statistical analysis of which religion is most often chosen by terrorists as their primary faith system during last 20 year period"

gosh i wonder which one would win
    Ok. If Islam would win, they very well could, what conclusion should we draw from this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok. If Islam would win, they very well could, what conclusion should we draw from this?
    That Islam does bring in higher chances of organized terrorism to the table. It's a fact we have to accept, even if it brings no immediate consequences, but standing in denial doesn't help either.

I'm not implying that's your case, but many people would disagree with me.

Deleted
    That Islam does bring in higher chances of organized terrorism to the table. It's a fact we have to accept, even if it brings no immediate consequences, but standing in denial doesn't help either.
    My point is that it brings nothing constructive to the table. Just like when the nazis started measuring jaw-bones etc before the 2nd world war to determine who was of the right ethnicity and who wasn't. Sure, there are racial differences.. im sure of it. But what positive and constructive things could come out of knowing it?

I seriously think that the thing that is causing terrorism is segregation, poverty and lack of education. So, the best solution to stop terrorism is to make the world more equal and develop the countries that are struggling with war, children not going to school because of it etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    My point is that it brings nothing constructive to the table. Just like when the nazis started measuring jaw-bones etc before the 2nd world war to determine who was of the right ethnicity and who wasn't. Sure, there are racial differences.. im sure of it. But what positive and constructive things could come out of knowing it?

I seriously think that the thing that is causing terrorism is segregation, poverty and lack of education. So, the best solution to stop terrorism is to make the world more equal and develop the countries that are struggling with war, children not going to school because of it etc.
    Picture this. You have daughter/sister in her early teens. There's a prominently Islamist neighborhood that she must go through to meet with her friends. Any extremist PC person will tell you she can safely get through, as the people there are all good and educated, and you know what? That may very well be true. The problem is that I'm by no means going to take that chance, slight as it might be, because bad shit has happened there to little girls before; fucked up shit.

Terrorism is an extreme level of this concern, and is something that we need to at least be a certain awareness of, denying reality only causes misinformation, and that goes both sides: Islamophobia is the opposite of extremely PC views. There's always a gray area in between, and that's where I feel most comfortable in, open minded, but aware.

I firmly believe that western involvement in the Middle East is the very root of the situation we face today. Europe, and then North America have been draining the Middle East, and basically the entire African continent of resources for centuries. Killing, enslaving and doing whatever the fuck they pleased with the natives.

We've created puppet regimes that backfire and then use it as a lame excuse to re-intervene and further the hatred the extremists harbor for western civilization. I'm absolutely aware that this is "our" fault, don't get me wrong. I'm also aware that the people I ultimately care about are my family and friends, and those are the ones that have the chance, even if slight to fall victim to Islamist extremism, and have to live with it every day.

I don't know what the solution is, if there's even one, but the only thing I think we deserve is safety.

Whelp, another round of blame Belgium is going to take place again it seems.