LastLast
    Deleted

gpu upgrading.

So currently i am running:

cpu: I7-3770

Ram: 16gb ddr3

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX

Current gpu: AMD radeon 7850

3 monitors. for sake of i might upgrade in the future: 3x 1920X1080 hd or something.

It will mainly be for gaming and stuff.

I am thinking between:
    https://www.alternate.nl/ASUS/ROG-ST...01242?lk=20614
    &
    https://www.alternate.nl/MSI/GeForce...02533?lk=20683

Please point me to the right direction and which of the above to will be better and why or why not ?

What games do you play the most?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's an extremely minimal difference between the two, Nvidia is slightly better in some games, AMD in others.

If you happen to have monitors (or planning to get) with Freesync, choose AMD. If G-sync, choose Nvidia. If neither, just throw a dice and pick whichever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    What games do you play the most?
    Currently wow, but think about overwatch, csgo, gta5, mass effect etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    There's an extremely minimal difference between the two, Nvidia is slightly better in some games, AMD in others.

If you happen to have monitors (or planning to get) with Freesync, choose AMD. If G-sync, choose Nvidia. If neither, just throw a dice and pick whichever.
    Ok, what is the difference between g sync and free sync?

For the games you listed i would advise going with nvidia, WoW and overwatch really prefer their architecture. Try and find a gtx 1060 3gb on the site you buy from, should be able to find one for a good price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkiey View Post

Ok, what is the difference between g sync and free sync?
    G-sync is a proprietary adaptive sync technology and works exclusively with Nvidia cards, Freesync is much the same thing but an open standard (in reality only supported by AMD cards though).
    G-sync monitors are more expensive because G-sync requires a physical part in the monitors, Freesync does not.

Deleted
    For the games you listed i would advise going with nvidia, WoW and overwatch really prefer their architecture. Try and find a gtx 1060 3gb on the site you buy from, should be able to find one for a good price.
    the 3gb is roughly the same price as the 6gb any reason why i would go with the 3gb ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    G-sync is a proprietary adaptive sync technology and works exclusively with Nvidia cards, Freesync is much the same thing but an open standard (in reality only supported by AMD cards though).
    G-sync monitors are more expensive because G-sync requires a physical part in the monitors, Freesync does not.
    I see, does free sync make a huge difference ?
    And where would i use it for ?

the 3gb is roughly the same price as the 6gb any reason why i would go with the 3gb ?

I see, does free sync make a huge difference ?
    And where would i use it for ?
    Oh if you can get the 6gb go for it, in the US there is a 50 dollar price difference. Also for the games you play freesync really has no value.

Deleted
    Oh if you can get the 6gb go for it, in the US there is a 50 dollar price difference. Also for the games you play freesync really has no value.
    Aye it is roughly the same price difference here, but rather pay the extra 50 euro... since this videocard has to last for atleast another 6 ish years lol

so does it make a big difference ?

Aye it is roughly the same price difference here, but rather pay the extra 50 euro... since this videocard has to last for atleast another 6 ish years lol

so does it make a big difference ?
    If you plan on playing at 1080p for the lifetime of the card its fine, the 6gb card would allow you to play more games at 1440p resolution. 3gb card is around 7% slower than the 6gb card as well, but it is actually better fps/dollar.

Up to you really, both good cards. I would get one with two fans, they stay quiet and cool

Deleted
    If you plan on playing at 1080p for the lifetime of the card its fine, the 6gb card would allow you to play more games at 1440p resolution. 3gb card is around 7% slower than the 6gb card as well, but it is actually better fps/dollar.

Up to you really, both good cards. I would get one with two fans, they stay quiet and cool
    great then I will rather spend 50 € more tbh

thanks for the help

also worth mentioning.. the 580 just came out, which is.. well, still more or less neck and neck with the 1060 really. so not much difference. but if you were gonna opt for the 480, its prob worth just grabbing a 580 instead.

That's pretty false in regards to adaptive sync. It actually always has value.
    Also, the Rx 580 will work perfectly for the games you play. If you can find an 8GB one cheaper than a 1060 6GB, go for it. It's perfectly fine. Also, freesync is a big plus without an extra added cost down the line.

FreeSync is AMAZING especially when coupled with a high refresh rate monitor. I play Overwatch as well and am obscenely spoiled by my MG279Q. Using a 60Hz monitor and/or one without adaptive sync feels like going back to the stone age now.
    Super casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomservo View Post
    Also, the Rx 580 will work perfectly for the games you play. If you can find an 8GB one cheaper than a 1060 6GB, go for it. It's perfectly fine. Also, freesync is a big plus without an extra added cost down the line.
    Owned a 400 dollar gsync monitor for 3 weeks, it added zero value for overwatch or WoW. In WoW it does not help the smoothness of the game in raids, dropping below 60 in that game still feels like dropping below 60. In overwatch you are always at super high FPS, sync technologies are not needed there whatsoever. If you are worried about tearing in games like overwatch all you need to do is limit your FPS to 143, but most people dont notice any tearing on 144hz monitors and just leave vsync off.

Gsync/vsync are only really applicable on games where you are constantly under 60 FPS because your GPU is not powerful enough, games like WoW where outside factors (the engine mainly) are the limit on performance, these technologies do nothing for the experience.

Owned a 400 dollar gsync monitor for 3 weeks, it added zero value for overwatch or WoW. In WoW it does not help the smoothness of the game in raids, dropping below 60 in that game still feels like dropping below 60. In overwatch you are always at super high FPS, sync technologies are not needed there whatsoever. If you are worried about tearing in games like overwatch all you need to do is limit your FPS to 143, but most people dont notice any tearing on 144hz monitors and just leave vsync off.

Gsync/vsync are only really applicable on games where you are constantly under 60 FPS because your GPU is not powerful enough, games like WoW where outside factors (the engine mainly) are the limit on performance, these technologies do nothing for the experience.
    That's exactly the opposite of what you are suggesting. Gsync/vsync is only meaningful in situation if your gpu can dish out enough FPS to hit the monitor refresh rate.

There is no difference in low FPS situations. I own the gsync monitor for more than a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastlin View Post
    That's exactly the opposite of what you are suggesting. Gsync/vsync is only meaningful in situation if your gpu can dish out enough FPS to hit the monitor refresh rate.

There is no difference in low FPS situations. I own the gsync monitor for more than a year now.
    You are confused on what gsync is good for. Low FPS situations are the reason the tech is good, dont feel bad many confuse 144hz with gsync (its not gsync that is giving you the smoothness).

Shame really too, many people spend far too much money on gsync and think its good cause it comes bundled with a lot of high hz monitors, and they would have been happy with a standard 144hz panel.

I'd wait for proper reviews of the 1060 9gbps cards then go from there to compare to 580. Then make a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomservo View Post
    No, it doesn't. That's a lie that people either need to learn the truth about or and/or stop spreading intentionally. Both GSync and FreeSync only help if your GPU can't push enough FPS to meet the refresh rate of your monitor. If your GPU can meet or exceed the refresh rate of your monitor, you always want to disable GSync or FreeSync as the higher FPS provides reduced input lag. Especially in shooter games like Overwatch.

So it's great on say a 4K monitor when someone is running a single 1080, or lower card, because they're not going to be able to push 60fps in all games at that resolution. That's when GSync and Freesync come into play, lowering the refresh rate of the monitor to match the lower FPS. Because when you're GPU is only pushing 50fps on average, and has dips into the 30s, things like input lag increase. GSync and Freesync help eleminate that.

But if he's looking to game at just 1920x1080 on either a 1060 or a 480/580, a GSync or Freesync monitor are both a waste of money as he's going to exceed 60fps in 99% of game. And while Freesync monitors are less expensive than GSync monitors, they are still more expensive there is still a small premium for having FreeSync. And it does require an AMD GPU and requires exclusive use of Displayport.

OP: Either get the newly released 580, which is a rebranded 480 with higher clock speeds, or get one of the new refreshed 1060s that some of the Nvidia partners have recently released with the memory overclocked to over 9Ghz. They are supposedly using higher quality memory modules, and not just simply overclocking their existing stock of cards. MSI is one such company releasing a refresh 1060, calling it the GTX 1060 Gaming X+

If you can swing just a little more money though, you may want to try for a GTX 1070. There are a ton of deals to be found, and you can bet your ass we will see an official price drop on the 1070 from Nvidia just as soon as AMD finally launches Vega. The 1070 is a significant step up from both the 480 or the 1060, and we should be seeing some very good prices on the 1070 very soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastlin View Post

This is very incorrect.

Freesync/Gsync are GPU controlled variable refresh rate vsyncs, so it mostly eliminates tearing and all input lag as your framerate isn't capped to something lower if performance drops, and your displays refresh rate is whatever framerate your system can render at that time assuming it's above 30, although I think Freesync's minimum is 40. You're obviously still limited to your displays refresh rate, but the goal is to never use double/triple buffered vsync in games as it will cap your framerate to something lower than you'd like if you couldn't meet your displays refresh rate.

The original goal was to prevent 60hz displays from being capped to 30 in games using double buffered vsync when the system couldn't maintain 60fps, higher refresh rates make variable vsync's even more valuable.

If what you said was true there would literally be no point in using either of them. This is why you disable vsync in games via menus/configs, and enable Gsync in the driver, games don't need to have built-in support.

I bought a Viewsonic XG2703-GS (27" 1440p IPS 144hz G-Sync) and it's amazing, although AUO's QC is shit and I'm likely going to exchange mine for a new one due to a minor issue, but it annoys me.

All the 27" 144hz IPS panels are made by AUO and they have no competition and no reason to have better QC.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-04-22 at 10:23 AM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset