Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    I don't believe this is correct. Priests trained a select group of warriors, teaching them how to use the light to enhance their capabilities on the battlefield. Thus some knights became paladins while the priests remained priests.
    You're right, in hindsight. There's nothing stopping a priest from training as a paladin, however, and I can't imagine Anduin would be the first if he took that path.

Quote Originally Posted by Feederino Senpai View Post
    Next expansion, all Priests will get the chance to upgrade them self to Paladins. Because Anduin could, so everyone should.
    I accept allowing the lesser folk to repent of their follies from picking an inferior class
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

Quote Originally Posted by therealslayer View Post
    Yeah.. I don't think you're getting what I'm not getting here.

Cool, being of light, or connected to it.
    What does that have to do with Human (Anduin) being Priest > Paladin and Undead / NE also turning Paladin?
    You're determined to wrap your head around what the OP was getting at. I don't think he understood his question.

Is there stuff in the questline that indicates he's likely to become a Paladin? Because based purely on the cinematic I didn't get that vibe at all. I mean, I guess he picks up a sword and it gets a new glow that makes it look kind of more Ashbringer-y than it did before, but I'm pretty sure there's more of a distinction between Paladins and Priests than "having a sword".

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Another point to consider: If you look at Warcraft II (which is where paladins were first introduced) the tech progression was as follows:

Build Knights => Build an abbey => Knights get upgraded to Paladins.

Yes, ofc in the WoW universe a priest could become a paladin by learning martial skills, but most paladins start their training as warriors and then receive training from priests.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    So after watching the new cinematic with Anduin we can imagine that he will become a Paladin in the future.

If that's really the case then all other races such us Undead or Night Elf should also be able to be Paladins - because they can be priests.
    1. Paladins in lore are Priests who took up martial training. Anduin is a prime example of that now.

2. Lore only influences game design, not direct it. NE and Forsaken are exempt from having Paladins for core class identity reasons more than lore. That would be opened up if they deemed it necessary to boost Paladin or NE/Forsaken numbers. Similarly, Gnome Hunters didn't just come about because of any lore necessity. It's more or less way to boost Gnome and Goblin popularity a bit by giving them mech pets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Just because they can doesn't mean they would. It's more of a cultural difference between races that can be both versus races that can only be priests.

10+ Year Old Account
    inB4: Goldrinn's spirit rested not within Varian.. but the swords. If you look at the end of the cinematic, Anduin's face flashes almost into his father's... but with what looks like a glow (similar to glow that Genn talks about in Wolfheart)..

Thoughts?
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Bojangles View Post
    What i'm getting from it is: Any priest can grab a sword/hammer, don some plate and become a paladin.
    But using that logic we'd get troll paladins, worgen paladins, and god forbid fucking panda paladins.
    Why not? Am I missing something?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    inB4: Goldrinn's spirit rested not within Varian.. but the swords. If you look at the end of the cinematic, Anduin's face flashes almost into his father's... but with what looks like a glow (similar to glow that Genn talks about in Wolfheart)..

Thoughts?
    Please no. I'm tired of humans stealing shit from other races.

I mean for christs sake we have human gryphon riders throwing thunder hammers in Stormheim. Thats disgusting.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Anduin won't become a paladin.

/thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Robster View Post
    Paladin = Priest in plate and military training.
    Hence Paladins in full Devout back in the MC days.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Bojangles View Post
    But using that logic we'd get troll paladins, worgen paladins, and god forbid fucking panda paladins.
    You forgot Goblin paladins xD god forbid twice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    You're determined to wrap your head around what the OP was getting at. I don't think he understood his question.
    He didn't ask a question, he made an observation, then came to the conclusion that all races that are Priests, should be able to be Paladins, because a Human can do it.

I've wrapped my head around it, but now my head just hurts.

As much as I want an undead Pally, this isn't how these things work. Good attempt though, and if they use it as justification for my Undead Pally, I'm good on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    Its not odd at all see that Elune may be a deity of the light or have some connection to it....you did the Xera quests right?

- - - Updated - - -

Did you do the Xera quest? then you know elune is a being of the light or possibly connected to it.
    yeah and that all felt odd to me from old school Nelf lore, but like in reality sometimes ancient views change with new information.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    Uther, Turalyon and Liadrin, anyone? Holy priests becoming paladins is part of the lore since Warcraft II.

WC2 Manual: "Apprentice to the aged Archbishop Alonsus Faol who was the leader of the Holy Order of Northshire Clerics that guided the kingdom of Azeroth during the First War, Uther Lightbringer learned first hand that faith alone would not defeat the terrible Horde. Many of the Clerics were slain during the First War, and so the Archbishop devoted himself to rebuilding the Order as to provide the citizens of Lordaeron with hope and faith. Knowing that this war with the unholy Orcs could not end soon, Uther discerned that the Archbishop's new Order must be able to defend the people as well as heal them. Thus, young Uther took up sword and shield and issued the call to the most pious amongst the Knights of Lordaeron. Many great Knights heeded Uther's beckoning and joined the Order which became known as the Knights of the Silver Hand. With the strength of arms - and faith - possessed by these Paladins, Uther hopes to bear witness to the free people of the Northlands that the Orcish Horde can be cast back into the stygian pits that spawned them."
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2017-04-21 at 05:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    Wasn't Uther a Priest before he became a pally?

I kinda forgot. LOL
    Nah, in his case he was actually a knight to begin with, but he was always devout to the Holy Light and was deep in that stuff and spoke often with Alonsus Faol before he was the Archbishop.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Why not? Am I missing something?
    Paladins invoke a strong sense of righteousness and justice beyond being a Priest with a Hammer.

Pandaren wouldn't fit this because their entire culture is based on neutrality. That's why extreme good and evil archetypes aren't befitting them, while Priests represent devotee to a particular faith without attaching pure good/evil connotations. An example of this is Troll Priests who may be using Voodoo aren't particularly aligned with either Good and Evil. Even a Draenei Priest adept at using the Holy Light isn't devoted to upholding justice.

Draenei, Blood Elves and Tauren are races that have a strong sense of duty. Worgen, Trolls and Pandaren, in their current state, lack that in their cultural identities. It's not to say it's impossible for them to become Paladins, but it's unlikely and somewhat contradictory. Of course, lore can always be changed to allow this to happen (ala NE Mages and Dwarf Shamans) but it's unlikely to happen any more than we'd get Blood Elf and Gnome Druids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Anduin is going to become more martial but doesn't automatically make him a paladin. I dont believe he's gonna don a giant set of plate armor and start ashing every demon in sight. At the end i believe the quest is more to show that he has finally got past being a pacifist and that you have to fight the legion wont be bargained with.

Maybe a breakdown of Paladin origins will explain why this post is dumb.

Belfs: They siphoned power from a Naaru, later turns out it was a willing sacrifice to give them that power.
    Dranei: They serve the Naaru and so therefore have had the power longer than anyone.
    Tauren: They're actually not technically Paladins, they're plate wearing druids who get their power from Anshe, the sun goddess, but the power is so similar to the light that they're practically the same, and there's even speculation that lorewise Anshe might be a manifestation of the Light to some degree.

Humans/Dwarves: During the Second War the Horde under Doomhammer had new troops created by Gul'dan called Death Knights. They weren't undead thralls of any Lich King though, they were Human corpses infused with the souls of dead members of the Shadow Council, Gul'dan's buddies. They were essentially unstoppable Warlock/Warrior hybrids who were near immune to magic, which destroyed the Alliance since the main advantage they had over the Horde were mages.

In light of the new threat the Alliance found a way to combine the frontline capacities of a Warrior with the Light wielding power of a Priest, creating the 1st line of Paladins. Even Anduin Lothar's right hand man Turalyon, the most powerful Paladin in lore right now, was a priest before he became a Paladin.

This is not a case of unfairness, this is NATURAL PROGRESSION FOR ALLIANCE PALADINS.

His dad and granddad were both warriors, Anduin being a priest is ludicrous. It's about time he picked up a sword and started leading people at the front.