Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Socronoss View Post
    No Ground mounts and only walking speed (because you would not get enough oxygen otherwise) and you will have to hearth back to get a new oxygen mask every 3 minutes would solve this problem as they would only have to design a really small landmass and still it would take ages to get around it.

Perfect solution.

In case you didn't notice: This was sarcasm, driving the "no-fly" defenders ideas to the extreme...
    Oh, and that landing hub would be constantly bombarded by legion forces. We'd land at their normandy and they have much better weapons than the germans. And no spirit rezzers, cuz that's nonsense as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    yes, and it should be used as game play. Mob's that fly that can knock you off, mobs on the ground that can either knock you off or use a hook to pull you down. Its time flying was used better than a short cut and more of a standard feature from day 1.
    This makes me ill. As someone who has played this game consistently since day one, I enjoy having a feature that lets me speed things up. With a family, house, full time job and everything else that goes along with that, I simply don't have the time that I used to and would rather enjoy the actual playing of the game, not the traveling in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Extremity View Post
    Small? POOR? Whaaaaat? "Poor" is one of the last adjectives I would use to describe Blizzard, with or without Activision.
    If they weren't poor, they'd be able to hire sufficient staff to create an adequate Argus. It should be on par with Azeroth.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

There should be only walking - backward. No flying, no riding, no running.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am pretty sure Argus won't get flying, ever, unless they make it so big it would be as large as a new continent.

I am saying this because not a single zone that was added in a patch and not part of the main continent has flying. Not Quel'danas, not Firelands, not Isle of Thunder, not Timeless Isle (and heck, the latter could be called part of the main continent).

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Maybe I should have said "relatively speaking". The point being that if Blizzard makes players wait 8 months just to be able to fly around some world quests that they've probably already done hundreds of times, followed by a bunch of no-flying content, it probably won't go over well.
    Perhaps. But they are used to seeing community going nuts about everything, so they would probably not care that much.

It's a good idea, but really Blizzard should have been tying the unlock into the story since launch. Missed opportunity which will end up feeling half-baked and awkward if they try it on Argus. I'll still take that over another stage of Pathfinder with no tie to the story at all, however.
    I am okay with Pathfinder as it is now, though I would allow flying in the last patch of the expansion. However, tying it closely with a story is very good idea. And I don't think they will add another pathfinder to Argus... but who knows.

eh...would Cata's zones have been any less bland from the ground?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    In fairness there was several reasons that Cata had such a poor leveling experience. They went a bit too far on the linear side with zone progression (as can be seen in the 1-60 experience without flight) and a lot of resources went towards revamping the Old World. Still, I think Uldum, Hyjal and Twilight Highlands would have been much better with flight restricted and a proper design around ground-play (at least more flightpaths.) From an exploration/spectacle point of view Vash'jir and (to a lesser extent in my opinion) Deepholme both benefited from flight (or swim.)
    Yes, I think that Cata zones would be better without flying esp. during leveling (and I think this is how it was initially planned, Hyjal is much more developed for ground movement than any other zone). While for Deepholm it actually makes some sense to built it around flying (and Vashji'r around swimming) then the rest of them - Hyjal, Uldum and Twilight Highlands suffer from it. They are pretty to look at from air, but apart from that they are mostly bland - in the end why it matters, when you will spend most of the time in them high up in the sky?

With the 1-60 content, on the other hand, I am okay with.

I think you might be underestimating Blizzard's ability to deliver decent leveling content if they actually bothered to try adding flight. Don't think of it in terms of just slapping flight onto existing grounded zones. Try to envision zones actually made to USE flying, even if all it means is a bunch of floating islands that make use of verticality.

Now imagine those floating islands patroling around a zone like the airships from Wotlk.

Now throw in cave networks, or large indoor fortresses on the larger islands.

Add in some demo artillary that shoots at nearby players and needs to be taken out by a bombing run. Quests where you have to navigate warp-storms to fly through specific spots to charge up a magical tool of some kind, or to reach a hidden location. Maybe a vehicle-based quest where you have to pilot an airship and do repairs or fire guns at targets like in Isle of Conquest.

There's all kinds of stuff that COULD be done to use the flying theme. All it takes is a little thinking outside of the ground-only box Blizzard has put Legion in.
    Sounds cool. I am not the enemy of flying per se, I just think that with current zone structure it mostly diminishes the experience and makes large part of the zones irrelevant. Like with Highmountain that was build around verticality - flying just takes it away. IF the zone will be designed with flying as a part of core gameplay experience like in your idea, then I am 100% fine with flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygnome View Post
    They have already stated that Argus will be a no-flying zone like Isle of Thunder, Timeless Isle, Isle of Quel'Danas, Molten Front and what have you not. You will never be able to fly there. Get over it, move along.
    May I have a source on that? I don't remember them confirming it.

Quote Originally Posted by MabusGaming View Post
    We don't even know what even we are doing on Argus yet lol
    World quests, always.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I'd be up for something like Storm Peaks, but that zone was more about exploration and discovery so I felt flying worked really well.

Argus on the other hand has a feel closer to Icecrown, here's where the big-bad lives with all his dangerous minions we have to crush to save our world. The trouble with Icecrown was flying over it made it seem like a total non-threat and I found it to be a massive anticlimax.
    If that's a problem, they could just have heavy AA defenses around the final raid area that dismount you. Haven't seen felcannons in a long fucking time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I didn't get the part about the context. Now I do.
    I too would rather just fly straight away, I was just pointing out the trend that seems to be the norm nowadays. Basing on what we've had fo ar, I could see them implementing flying bit by bit, expansion after expansion, tying it with achievements, wether I like it or not.
    Blizzard has actually gone on record in a blue post and said that they would not implement flying on a zone-by-zone basis. This is why I think it's likely that there will be flying in any further content that gets released after 7.2. If they try to pull a Pathfinder part 3 it will backfire on them. If they try a no-fly island it will backfire on them.

They've really painted themselves into a corner at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyi View Post
    This makes me ill. As someone who has played this game consistently since day one, I enjoy having a feature that lets me speed things up. With a family, house, full time job and everything else that goes along with that, I simply don't have the time that I used to and would rather enjoy the actual playing of the game, not the traveling in it.
    What if the "actual playing of the game" involved flight somehow? Remember in Stormpeaks, the quest where you leapt from the backs of drakes circling the mountain? Or the daily quests where you fought your way out of the grip of an angry drake? Things like that. Don't be so ready to dismiss the idea of content in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    I am pretty sure Argus won't get flying, ever, unless they make it so big it would be as large as a new continent.

I am saying this because not a single zone that was added in a patch and not part of the main continent has flying. Not Quel'danas, not Firelands, not Isle of Thunder, not Timeless Isle (and heck, the latter could be called part of the main continent).
    Read what I've said in previous posts. Every single No-Fly island has been released in the larger context of an expansion where flying was available in the launch patch. Legion has done the opposite by restricting flight for so long since launch before giving it to players. Attempting to use a no-fly island no, after players finally get flying back, would be a colossal mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by reffan View Post
    Perhaps. But they are used to seeing community going nuts about everything, so they would probably not care that much.
    I need only point towards the events of flying in WoD to prove that wrong. They absolutely DO care. And the community absolutely can have an effect on the design direction. Not two weeks after the announcement of "WoW will never have flying again" they reversed their decision and implemented flight.

Quote Originally Posted by reffan View Post
    Sounds cool. I am not the enemy of flying per se, I just think that with current zone structure it mostly diminishes the experience and makes large part of the zones irrelevant. Like with Highmountain that was build around verticality - flying just takes it away. IF the zone will be designed with flying as a part of core gameplay experience like in your idea, then I am 100% fine with flying.
    That's the fundamental problem with dropping flight into content which wasn't designed for it. While you might view cata zones as bland from the air, they at least weren't completely wrecked by it how Legion zones are. It's a real shame all the missed potential Blizzard lost by not using flight. It could have added entirely new layer to the gameplay. Instead it's just a shortcut slapped into the game as an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygnome View Post
    They have already stated that Argus will be a no-flying zone like Isle of Thunder, Timeless Isle, Isle of Quel'Danas, Molten Front and what have you not. You will never be able to fly there. Get over it, move along.
    Cite your source, please. This sounds like bullshit to me.

they fucking should, i have enough that we have to do gay achivement just to be able to fly, if the minority of people who dont want to fly want to not fly, they have just to take their ground mount , thats all, seriously i can't stand anymore all the wait to be able to fly, a thing that should be their from the start

10+ Year Old Account
    It's an instanced zone. I doubt they'll allow it.

If they do, they should add a fel poison that chokes and kills anyone that lifts off the ground. How's that for artificial level design?

10+ Year Old Account
    So the answer here for me depends on what Argus IS. If it's a large area, even a couple of zones, etc then yes, we should have flight and yes, it should be on from the start. I earned flight once. Try to make me do it again and that's just bullshit.

If it's small like TI... it matters a lot less but that will be a huge let down after all we've heard about Argus. Ideally, as others have said, it will be designed with flight in mind both topographically and from a hazard point of view.

Deleted
    "Fel energies prevents you from flying in this area"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    So the answer here for me depends on what Argus IS. If it's a large area, even a couple of zones, etc then yes, we should have flight and yes, it should be on from the start. I earned flight once. Try to make me do it again and that's just bullshit.

If it's small like TI... it matters a lot less but that will be a huge let down after all we've heard about Argus. Ideally, as others have said, it will be designed with flight in mind both topographically and from a hazard point of view.
    Totally forgot about this. Something about traveling to the core of the planet, where you can see the giant wound. Ideally accessible to anyone who hasn't earned Pathfinder as well.

I don't want to have flying on Argus, for 1 reason only.

It's a patch area. Unless they add a THIRD Part to the Path-finder (Which I find bullshit), then no. It's going to be like the Timeless isle as to where we have no option to fly whatsoever. It happened with ToT, Ashran, And so forth, it'll happen again.

But, I'm likely 100% wrong, and they MAY fucking do such a thing. Idk, I'm not a Game-master as this shit...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Balefulxd View Post
    "Fel energies prevents you from flying in this area"
    "A Mysterious Forces prevents out from flying in this area"

Me: GOD DAMN IT SARGERAS!

Sargeras: lel....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Socronoss View Post
    No Ground mounts and only walking speed (because you would not get enough oxygen otherwise) and you will have to hearth back to get a new oxygen mask every 3 minutes would solve this problem as they would only have to design a really small landmass and still it would take ages to get around it.

Perfect solution.

In case you didn't notice: This was sarcasm, driving the "no-fly" defenders ideas to the extreme...
    Honestly, if they did add flying, I wouldn't complain.

Just won't bother with the achieve...

Will likely get it accidently though. lol.

depends. Is it the size of Isle of Thunder or Valley or Valley of the Four winds?

Is there other junk to do there like Nagrand (WoD) or is it just the raid?
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

15+ Year Old Account
    No. And I think they should've left Broken Shore as no flying until 7.3 launched.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

If they do no flying again, I'll just unsub until the ach is available. This is a game, and very few classes can stealth and run and get the door IRL. I get up to get my wife a drink, or put a plate in the sink and I come back to a patrol smashing my face in. Maybe if they let me fly straight up and get out of the way of patrols for a while, I would be ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    YES flying would be good.
    Fixed that for ya.