Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Well 79.99$ official price, almost 90-95 in the EU. Not worth it imho, save a bit for a RX 470 or rx 480 4gb/ 1060 3gb Second hand and get way more value.

Quote Originally Posted by socialmaker View Post
    Well 79.99$ official price, almost 90-95 in the EU. Not worth it imho, save a bit for a RX 470 or rx 480 4gb/ 1060 3gb Second hand and get way more value.
    Well its not going to stay at that price is my point, its too close to 560 pricing. But for 60 bucks its a good card and is enough to handle overwatch at 1080p 60 fps on high, pretty decent card all in all. It isnt really aimed at gamers tho, its for HTPC use mainly given it has HDR support and all the newer technologies you need for newer TV's.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Its pretty clear they trade blows depending on what game you are looking at, but i just cant get past the ~80w load power draw differences between the two cards. That is not a negligible amount, and is reason enough for me to pick nvidia. My EVGA 1060 ive never heard the fan on even with a 144hz monitor, dead silent and stays under 70c at all times. Does AMD have a card like this?
    My Tri-X R9 290 is nearly inaudible with my custom fan curve and it has a 275 watt power draw. Put the right cooler on any card and it'll be nice and quiet. A two-fan cooler should be fine for anything in the 180-watt range.
    Super casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    GCN arch itself

those ACE units/hardware async, hardware scheduler etc. that apparently give GCN a HW advantage in DX12 - the downside is power draw
    And how many games are using asynch compute? AMD guys have been hanging onto this for years, when is it going to come to fruition?

Hilariously poor "refresh". Where the fuck are the Vega cards? What happened to HBM2?

I'll take a 1060 over these any day, just so I don't have to deal with AMD's clunky DX11 drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    My Tri-X R9 290 is nearly inaudible with my custom fan curve and it has a 275 watt power draw. Put the right cooler on any card and it'll be nice and quiet. A two-fan cooler should be fine for anything in the 180-watt range.
    Id like to see an rx 580 pull off silent and always under 70c, so far i havent seen one. Talking on a 144hz+ monitor, any gpu can achieve this on a 60hz.

Stood in the Fire chase_the_mofo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Id like to see an rx 580 pull off silent and always under 70c, so far i havent seen one. Talking on a 144hz+ monitor, any gpu can achieve this on a 60hz.
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,6.html

Here you go son.
    From all things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

theres no such thing as nearly inaudible if you game on PC without headphones and your case is nearby

anything over ~900-1000 rpm is audible and your 275+W card will make em go well over 1000 rpm (unless you dont mind temps well into the high 80s or more)

so yeah less power draw = less heat = less noise

if you play strictly in headphones though then I suppose this is less important

Quote Originally Posted by chase_the_mofo View Post
    Well that's a strix, a 280 dollar GPU with 3 fans. Nvida can pull off this feat with a 1 fan card:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/pKX2...rd-03g-p4-6162

That is only one side of the story, look at the power draw charts in that very review 220w vs 130 for nvidia. You have to buy the most expensive and overbuilt 580 to reach parody with what nvidia is doing with much cheaper cards.

Also 37db isnt nearly as quiet as some 1060 models:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...Gaming/25.html 28db
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...ming_X/23.html 28db
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-04-21 at 10:53 AM.

here a 3-fan Aorus 1080Ti manages 37 DBa load noise .. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...review,11.html

1080Ti vs 580 (actually an overclocked 480) - same noise ? .. yeah

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that's a strix, a 280 dollar GPU with 3 fans. Nvida can pull off this feat with a 1 fan card:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/pKX2...rd-03g-p4-6162

That is only one side of the story, look at the power draw charts in that very review 220w vs 130 for nvidia. You have to buy the most expensive and overbuilt 580 to reach parody with what nvidia is doing with much cheaper cards.

Also 37db isnt nearly as quiet as some 1060 models:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...Gaming/25.html 28db
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...ming_X/23.html 28db

You seriously comparing 3gb crippled 1060 which should be called 1055 cos it's not the same chip?

Being fanboy is worst thing you can do, that's bad.

p.s. about noise, you do realize there are pleanty of 38db 580 cards out there?
    And those 580 outperform any 1060 anyway.

You seriously comparing 3gb crippled 1060 which should be called 1055 cos it's not the same chip?

Being fanboy is worst thing you can do, that's bad.

p.s. about noise, you do realize there are pleanty of 38db 580 cards out there?
    And those 580 outperform any 1060 anyway.
    If you mean 28db feel free to link the reviews so i can see load temps

Also i am quite the opposite of a "fanboy", i buy the parts i feel are the best value for money. Have a 1700 amd cpu in my pc right now actually.

And no, 580's dont outperform 1060's, they trade blows depending on the games you look at. One thing i have noticed tho is the ones nvidia leads on are double digit %, if AMD gets wins its single digit usually (unlesss you consider ashes of the benchmark a game).

Its an ok card and if freesync bugs ever get worked out that really adds to the value for amd cards, but right now imo 1060 is the better buy.

10+ Year Old Account

And no, 580's dont outperform 1060's

Its an ok card and if freesync bugs ever get worked out that really adds to the value for amd cards, but right now imo 1060 is the better buy.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...o_Plus/35.html

read a review or two instead of talking nonsence fanboy, 580 outperforms 1060 easily and Freesync is just amazing, if you ever tried it.

Atm using 980ti, but going vega+freesync in future hopefully. Tired of nvidia shit which you cant see.
    Yes you are a fanboy.
    Last edited by chase_the_mofo; 2017-04-21 at 10:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...o_Plus/35.html

read a review or two instead of talking nonsence fanboy, 580 outperforms 1060 easily and Freesync is just amazing, if you ever tried it.

Atm using 980ti, but going vega+freesync in future hopefully. Tired of nvidia shit which you cant see.
    Yes you are a fanboy.
    ROFL... dude, you seriously shot yourself with that... you linked a review where factory overclocked 580 that costs $280 ends up 3-4% better than 1060 stock for $230... lulz. And that is at twice the power consumption...

The shit's fucking terrible lol, just look at these summaries - almost twice the power consumption, 20% more expensive and it has like 3-4% performance to show for it compared to stock 1060. Any similar factory OC 1060 will demolish it really.

Here from the review

ElOhEl.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2017-04-22 at 01:09 AM.

up to a whopping 5% faster than a stock 1060 6GB, and gain from max OC (which further tanks perf/W heavily) is ~4%

now compare to a custom/max overclocked 1060 (which does 2100 Mhz easily) and its dead even

and thats against the original 1060, not the newer 9 gbps 1060

and then you have this gem:
    Looking at performance-per-watt numbers, the RX 580 has dropped back to R9 Fury X levels, which makes NVIDIA's GPU more than twice as energy efficient.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I'm a bit shocked, I heard 580 had terrible power efficiency, but this is almost comically bad. Literally twice the power consumption of a competitor card.

I have no idea how AMD could fuck up like this with what was supposed to be their touted 2.5x power efficiency architecture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Honestly I'm a bit shocked, I heard 580 had terrible power efficiency, but this is almost comically bad. Literally twice the power consumption of a competitor card.

I have no idea how AMD could fuck up like this with what was supposed to be their touted 2.5x power efficiency architecture.
    Power efficiency takes a dive when you overclock the chips. That's all the RX 580 really is, an overclocked RX 480. But they did it to achieve higher performance, probably to beat out the 1060 in all benchmarks. If AMD was smart, they would have lowered prices, not maintain them with an overclcoked RX 480.

Though when it comes to power effiency the RX 580 does have a neat tool called Chill. It's actually an impressive tool where you can actively change the power draw of the card to maintain a frame rate. He shows WoW of all games doing this, where instead of rendering 200+fps, the application will lower the power consumption to maintain 40 or 60 fps, depending on what you're doing in the game. To the point where you don't even have the fan kick on. This with Freesync and he got a very smooth experience while drawing very little power. Drawing 60w-70w without fans running is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cszsolt3 View Post
    They still offer the best performance/$ ratio of the price ranges they are situated in. They fell behind in the high end market in the last few years, that's true. For the vast majority of customers cards like the 1080 are absolutely unnecessary.
    Nvidia rebranded 1060 and 1080 recently. So the price/perfomance ratio is skewed in their favor in those segments now. I'm yet to see any reviews of those barely released cards but I'm sure it will be somewhat noticeable.

The 1060 'refresh' should be interesting. There are no reviews out there yet? I know the part numbers have been leaked weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    The 1060 'refresh' should be interesting. There are no reviews out there yet? I know the part numbers have been leaked weeks ago.
    Likely a 4 to 5 frame difference? That is what you get when you OC the old cards to the new released level. We'll see but I don't expect anything dramatic. Now that the 1080 is OC a little and a flat $499 out the door is what's really cool about it.