Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MORGATH99 View Post
    some posts just shouldnt exist
    Tell me. why shouldn't this exist?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Danvash View Post
    This is a game, not real life. The bosses that we killed in the Nighthold were all either monsters created by the Nightwell or supporting the Legion. They had more than enough time to flee when they realized that the Nighthold was under attack, but instead they decided to stay and fight for Elisande/the Legion. If we had let these powerful allies of hers live, they would have just gone on to be puppets of the Legion in the future. All the Legion would need to do is promise wealth and power to Star Augur, for example, to win him over as a future ally after his city was taken over.

Responding to other examples:
    1. We killed the Blast Furnace (or rather the boss inside of the furnace) because it had already made a pact with the Iron Horde. It's possible that it would surrender and join us after being beaten half to death, but it certainly didn't.
    2. Operator Tho'gar was working for Blackhand and was ready to fight to the death to protect the Foundry. It's not purely a business relationship between the two when Tho'gar and Blackhand are from the same clan.
    3. Mar'gok was allied with the Iron Horde when we killed him. We could have offered him a better deal in theory, but he was extremely arrogant. What he says when you pull him in Highmaul is, "You will learn why I am king, and you are little more than peasants!" The odds of him switching his allegiance to outsiders who he sees as less than dirt are slim to none.
    That's not an excuse I've seen games were you make peace with a bad guy

We didn't kill any of the keepers we fought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Egitel View Post
    Well that's easy, it's called World of Warcraft; not World of Diplomatic Approach.

In all seriousness, this has sort of been done a few times. Though not really "diplomatic" in the traditional sense, there are bosses we've beaten back into sanity, submission, or just beating the corruption out of 'em. There have probably been other cases where this could have been done, for example, I was a bit irritated that we (Emerald Nightmare spoiler: ) killed Ysera, because the "nightmare corruption can't be cured " and then not even a few weeks later, Cenarius is cured in the Emerald Nightmare raid. Yes, I know Cenarius is a demigod, but Ysera was a dragon aspect? Surely that's pretty up there in terms of power? I don't know, maybe it's been explained, and I'm sure someone will correct me, but it did feel a bit cheap.
    Ysera and other Dragon Aspects became mortals at the end of Cataclysm. She didn't have any special powers in Val'sharah, she was just a big dragon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akelina View Post
    Because you can't loot them if they are alive.
    Have you never done a Dire Maul tribute run? You get even better loot.

Why didn't we just negotiate with Hitler, or any of his subordinates?

yeah boy, there's your answer.

Every raid boss has done terrible things, or helped someone else doing terrible things.

The whole "offering a better deal" is bound to backfire eventually, if say Helix Blastfuse sells out Garrosh because we offer him more money, what's to stop him from selling us out to the highest bidder? Sylvanas did that with Varimathras (granted it wasn't money) and look where that got her.

As for trying to reason with them, for example enslaved Elementals or mind-controlled Illysana Ravecrest, they tend to be far too angry/confused to be reasoned with. It's regrettable but unavoidable. Besides, I've always found it ridiculous in movies when they murder a small town's worth of underlings but then wanna talk and negotiate with the Big Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    Why didn't we just negotiate with Hitler, or any of his subordinates?

yeah boy, there's your answer.

Every raid boss has done terrible things, or helped someone else doing terrible things.
    Does not awnser anything.

Kill. Loot. Repeat. That is WoW diplomacy.

Purely just gameplay reasons. The entire game is built around combat, so how do you design an encounter that plays out diplomatically in a way that's fun enough to justify its existence over a more traditional boss fight?

The vast majority of things that happen in WoW are contrivances to service the basic gameplay loop of fight-kill-collect, and it's difficult for them to design anything that falls outside of that paradigm without it feeling flimsy and unsatisfying by comparison. There's a reason, for example, why they don't make heavy use of vehicle mechanics in many boss fights, despite them being an interesting and often times thematically appropriate variation on the formula.

I'll never have peace with the Alliance as long as I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Egitel View Post
    There have probably been other cases where this could have been done, for example, I was a bit irritated that we (Emerald Nightmare spoiler: ) killed Ysera, because the "nightmare corruption can't be cured " and then not even a few weeks later, Cenarius is cured in the Emerald Nightmare raid. Yes, I know Cenarius is a demigod, but Ysera was a dragon aspect? Surely that's pretty up there in terms of power? I don't know, maybe it's been explained, and I'm sure someone will correct me, but it did feel a bit cheap.
    Cenarius was cured because we killed Xavius and ended the Nightmare entirely. Since Ysera was trying to destroy the Temple of Elune, we couldn't exactly just leave her to her destructive rampage while we went into the Nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Taygames View Post
    Does not awnser anything.
    If the metaphor was too hard to grasp, I wrote another clear and direct explanation under that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Usually this is down to separation of gameplay and story - the game is predicated on combat and encounters, so ending fights via diplomacy would be undercutting the primary reason to play the game. That being said there are a variety of encounters (raid and otherwise) that don't end in death for the enemy. There are multiple instances of restoring sanity/clarity/sense with percussive maintenance, special guest villain swaps, and using magic and/or artifacts to extract an enemy's malevolence and confront it directly (e.g. possessing dreadlords, dark spirits, or miscellaneous demonic/void influence).

Aside from those cases there isn't much diplomacy that can be had with someone who willingly sides with a multidimensional genocidal army, incarnations of destruction and/or corruption, rampaging Elemental lords, or corrupted Dragon Aspects that have devoted themselves to universal destruction with fanatical fervor. The Warcraft universe is a legitimate nightmare factory - chances to end conflicts amicably or diplomatically are few and far between.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

For all we know, there are many people/creatures that didnt end as raid boss BECAUSE we chose the diplomatic approach. The ones who ended up as raid bosses were not possible to be negotated with

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    Ysera and other Dragon Aspects became mortals at the end of Cataclysm. She didn't have any special powers in Val'sharah, she was just a big dragon.
    The dragon aspects were never invincible, evidenced by the fact that we killed Malygos long before the events of the Dragon Soul raid.

What remains to be seen of course, is whether or not Ysera can be reborn in the same way that Cenarius and the Ancients were during Cataclysm. You do see her in the Emerald Dream at the end of the Emerald Nightmare raid. So it is always possible.
    Frequent Poster on Fluid Druid, The best Feral community out there

My Character

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraineth View Post
    The dragon aspects were never invincible, evidenced by the fact that we killed Malygos long before the events of the Dragon Soul raid.
    The Aspects were immortal. In Warcraft, immortal doesn't mean invincible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enter raid. Kill some trash. See 5 minute RP on a boss. Free loot. Repeat 10 times. Raid complete.
    Oh what fun we had tonight.
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Player - kill yourself
    Boss - yes

Dun dun dun dun fallout 1 ending.

Oh and to answer OP, because WoW isnt RPG so we don't have "yay charisma" and spechcraft rolls.

To the OP:

What the fuck is this shit? Fairy Tail?

AHAHAHA!

Good luck making friends with you enemies. It's not like they'll kill you or anything....Nooooo...not....at...alllll....

After grouping, clearing trash and several mini-bosses, no one is in a diplomatic mood.