Poll: Varian or Garrosh: Whose Ending Was Better?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    Writer Christie Goldie stated that "Garrosh lacked a core making him very maleable to making poor choices, where as Jaina possessed one, thus keeping her from jumping off the deep end." Something that I think is hogwash. Garrosh's core was his honor, attacking Theramore was one thing, but using a mana bomb to do it, is totally out of character. Meanwhile Jaina's core was being a pacifist pansy that tried to seek out the good in anyone....clearly no longer the case.
    Oh I wouldn't be that sure. The whole reason Garrosh disliked Val'kyr and Blight was because he didn't trust Sylvanas and the Forsaken to begin with, even though he pretended it was about honor and shit. Same about his little affair with Blackscar.

Garrosh had an actual honor code but was entirely bent over Garrosh's own wishes and desires. Much like Arthas, passion and emotions are what guided him mostly, the kind of characters that stop at nothing to get what they want, whatever it is. Look at Arthas indeed. Beloved prince, heir of Lordaeron, paladin of the Holy Light supposed to uphold honor and compassion above all else, yet he ended up as he did because, despite that, he always put his own desires on the top of his list. And when he had to gradually discard all he was meant to represent in order to fulfill such desires, he simply did. Garrosh is made of the same stuff. He says so himself in War Crimes.
    Last edited by Zulkhan; 2017-04-21 at 03:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

/thread

I wanna say lol. Damn. But I feel there is actual character development in Garrosh's ending which is why I think it makes it closer to call. Since Wrath I'm trying to understand why Garrosh is such a douche, and I finally get some context in exchange with Thrall. I do feel that Blizzard delivered when they said they would give Garrosh a worthy ending.
    Meh. Garrosh was all over the place as a character, and his ending didn't reconcile any of that or really provide more closure than a skull splattering at SoO would have.
    Garrosh gives Thrall some hard truth, and then Thall says "nope" and kills him.

I would have written the ending a bit differently. Everything proceeds as it did, but after Garrosh indites Thrall ("YOU FAILED ME!") Garrosh raises Gorehowl to finish Thrall. Thrall intercepts it with Doomhammer and says, "No, we are all responsible for our own mistakes," and musters up the strength to send Gorehowl flying into the distance.
    Thrall slams Doomhammer into Garrosh's side, "I chose you because you were strong," the Doomhammer strikes Garrosh on his opposing arm paralyzing it, "I chose you because you had honor," Doomhammer slams into Garrosh's somach,
    "I chose you because I wanted someone that the Horde could look up too," Doomhammer clips Garrosh across the face letting his teath fly,
    "Instead you forgot your honor," Doomhamer sweeps Garrosh's legs sending him to the ground,
    "You turned our people into monsters," Doomhammer crushes one of Garrosh's legs crippling him,
    "You threatened to sell our people into slavery, again. For your own power. You're no better than Gul'dan."
    Thall stands above Garrosh's head and raises his hammer, "I accept the mistakes I have made, and now I am going to correct one of them"
    *Garrosh PoV* Garrosh screams as the hammer is brought down upon him one final time.
    *Thrall walks away from Garrosh toward the camera, Garrosh's corpse small and out of focus in the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Oh I wouldn't be that sure. The whole reason Garrosh disliked Val'kyr and Blight was because he didn't trust Sylvanas and the Forsaken to begin with, even though he pretended it was about honor and shit. Same about his little affair with Blackscar.

Garrosh had an actual honor code but was entirely bent over Garrosh's own wishes and desires. Much like Arthas, passion and emotions are what guided him mostly, the kind of characters that stop at nothing to get what they want, whatever it is. Look at Arthas indeed. Beloved prince, heir of Lordaeron, paladin of the Holy Light supposed to uphold honor and compassion above all else, yet he ended up as he did because, despite that, he always put his own desires on the top of his list. And when he had to gradually discard all he was meant to represent in order to fulfill such desires, he simply did. Garrosh is made of the same stuff. He says so himself in War Crimes.
    I disagree, Arthas was actually put into a desperate corner. As terrible as the Purge of Stratholme was, it wasn't without merit. They could sit there and dwindle their thumbs waiting for the people to turn, which would take time and resources to fight, not to mention excarbate the problem, due to how the Scourge can spread the plague, or just deal with them while they are still human and vulnerable. He goes to great lengths to save his land and people. Kael'thas had the same dilemna, backed into a corner, thus joining Illidan. (Him then joining Kil'jaeden the guy that created the Scourge hence his problems made zero sense though).

Garrosh wasn't put in any dilemna that severe to make him lose his shit, like those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer8585 View Post
    Meh. Garrosh was all over the place as a character, and his ending didn't reconcile any of that or really provide more closure than a skull splattering at SoO would have.
    Garrosh gives Thrall some hard truth, and then Thall says "nope" and kills him.

I would have written the ending a bit differently. Everything proceeds as it did, but after Garrosh indites Thrall ("YOU FAILED ME!") Garrosh raises Gorehowl to finish Thrall. Thrall intercepts it with Doomhammer and says, "No, we are all responsible for our own mistakes," and musters up the strength to send Gorehowl flying into the distance.
    Thrall slams Doomhammer into Garrosh's side, "I chose you because you were strong," the Doomhammer strikes Garrosh on his opposing arm paralyzing it, "I chose you because you had honor," Doomhammer slams into Garrosh's somach,
    "I chose you because I wanted someone that the Horde could look up too," Doomhammer clips Garrosh across the face letting his teath fly,
    "Instead you forgot your honor," Doomhamer sweeps Garrosh's legs sending him to the ground,
    "You turned our people into monsters," Doomhammer crushes one of Garrosh's legs crippling him,
    "You threatened to sell our people into slavery, again. For your own power. You're no better than Gul'dan."
    Thall stands above Garrosh's head and raises his hammer, "I accept the mistakes I have made, and now I am going to correct one of them"
    *Garrosh PoV* Garrosh screams as the hammer is brought down upon him one final time.
    *Thrall walks away from Garrosh toward the camera, Garrosh's corpse small and out of focus in the distance.
    That would have been AWESOME! But it could ruin a bit of clear inner conflict in Thrall if he said that much. And yea, Garrosh's mess is in large part on Thrall, there is no excuse for making such a blunder of a choice. Choosing him because he's Strong? Has Honor? Horde Look up to Him? How about you go with the safe choice then and pick freaking Saurfang who has all of those traits and shares your ideology, a choice even Garrosh would accept, since he respects him. Instead he goes with Garrosh, a clear hot head who doesn't even want the mantle of leadership thus deal with politics, preferring to just be given a unit and fight on the front lines. He picks someone that literally none of his faction leaders get along with. I mean this was a disaster waiting to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Varian. He died a hero holding off the legion so the rest could escape, garrosh died a villain who turned against everyone.
    #boycottchina

I disagree, Arthas was actually put into a desperate corner. As terrible as the Purge of Stratholme was, it wasn't without merit. They could sit there and dwindle their thumbs waiting for the people to turn, which would take time and resources to fight, not to mention excarbate the problem, due to how the Scourge can spread the plague, or just deal with them while they are still human and vulnerable. He goes to great lengths to save his land and people. Kael'thas had the same dilemna, backed into a corner, thus joining Illidan. (Him then joining Kil'jaeden the guy that created the Scourge hence his problems made zero sense though).

Garrosh wasn't put in any dilemna that severe to make him lose his shit, like those two.

That would have been AWESOME! But it could ruin a bit of clear inner conflict in Thrall if he said that much. And yea, Garrosh's mess is in large part on Thrall, there is no excuse for making such a blunder of a choice. Choosing him because he's Strong? Has Honor? Horde Look up to Him? How about you go with the safe choice then and pick freaking Saurfang who has all of those traits and shares your ideology, a choice even Garrosh would accept, since he respects him. Instead he goes with Garrosh, a clear hot head who doesn't even want the mantle of leadership thus deal with politics, preferring to just be given a unit and fight on the front lines. He picks someone that literally none of his faction leaders get along with. I mean this was a disaster waiting to happen.
    The problem is Surfang didn't want the job (I agree he would have been a superior choice: Experience, heroism, wisdom, and he doesn't eat pork so kosher too). Thrall saw how everyone was looking up to Garrosh because he lead the Horde campaign in Northrend and he thought between Suarfang's guidance, and Vol'jin and Carine as advisers he would moderate himself into an assertive, but diplomatically circumspect leader. He didn't know he was basically enabling Garrosh to become Orc Hitler, and when he found out he was stricken with a lot of guilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer8585 View Post
    The problem is Surfang didn't want the job (I agree he would have been a superior choice: Experience, heroism, wisdom, and he doesn't eat pork so kosher too). Thrall saw how everyone was looking up to Garrosh because he lead the Horde campaign in Northrend and he thought between Suarfang's guidance, and Vol'jin and Carine as advisers he would moderate himself into an assertive, but diplomatically circumspect leader. He didn't know he was basically enabling Garrosh to become Orc Hitler, and when he found out he was stricken with a lot of guilt.
    Using Cairne and Vol'jin as insurance is just reckless though. Cairne is one thing, but Garrosh had no respect for Vol'jin, almost can't blame him considering how long it took him to reclaim his land, while Garrosh lead the Northrend Campaign in about two years. So he has one adviser he barely respects, and the other one he ends up killing. Yea GG.

FYI Garrosh didn't want the job either. Difference is Saurfang has been in the Horde since it's inception, Garrosh has been in the Horde for like 3 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather

Arthas' fall didn't start with the purge, it began when he swore vengeance on Mal'ganis. His entire journey on Northrend has been Arthas' journey to his own damnation. It's the place where he turned his back on everything he was supposed to uphold to get the power necessary to obtain his revenge.

Garrosh succumbed to a similar desperation. His defeats and failures are what pushed him over the edge. Every loss led to an escalation of his efforts, with any further defeat consequently worsening the situation more and more. Garrosh was desperate to prove he was worthy of his father's glorious and heavy legacy and every single failure made him closer to be, once again, the depressed whiny bitch he was in Nagrand. To prevent that he kept trying harder and harder, until, maybe, he began to try a little too hard. Much like Arthas and his thrist for vengeance, Garrosh has grown so fucking obsessed that he clearly lost his grasp on reality, eventually losing the support of his allies and even most of his people but still convinced he was going to be the hero his father was.

Using Cairne and Vol'jin as insurance is just reckless though. Cairne is one thing, but Garrosh had no respect for Vol'jin, almost can't blame him considering how long it took him to reclaim his land, while Garrosh lead the Northrend Campaign in about two years. So he has one adviser he barely respects, and the other one he ends up killing. Yea GG.
    The chosen advisers wasn't the issue. The issue was giving absolute power to a terribly immature leader. That was Thrall's only and monumental mistake. Because it matters not how many advisers or which advisers you give to that leader, you still gave him the power to do everything he wanted. And you don't give all that power to someone who needs to learn and listen. Such power got over Garrosh's head, which coupled with his strong inability to deal with criticism due to his deep insecurity issues boosted his ego and arrogance, obviously met with hostility by everyone around him, as Garrosh thought he was worthy of respect for the mere fact that he was Warchief, rather than work on earning such respect to begin with.

Garrosh acted like everything was due and that he, on the end of the day, didn't really need to listen anyone or question his own decisions. He tried to get their acknowledgement but always on his terms, they were supposed to lick his boots along the Kor'kron and got pissed when this didn't happen, until he applied the absolutist "you're either with me or against me" kind of mentality. In the end he even started to disrespect Eitrigg, the most wise and balanced of all his advisers, to favor the "advice" of his new boot-licker (Malkorok).
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.

FYI Garrosh didn't want the job either. Difference is Saurfang has been in the Horde since it's inception, Garrosh has been in the Horde for like 3 years.
    Cairne and Vol'jin weren't really the insurance policy. Thrall believed that Garrosh would endeavor to do right by the whole Horde as a family, and Carine and Vol'jin were supposed to help guide him. Thrall believed the demands of leadership were going to moderate him (TBF: A lot of people make this mistake. This was literally how many people reacted to Hitler becoming the German Chancellor). Thrall didn't understand that Garrosh was an Orc supremacist and only just barely respected the Tauren as much. Thrall and Garrosh's idea of the Horde was different. Thrall created it to be a big family that helped each other in a harsh and uncaring land, Garrosh viewed it as a conquering warmachine subservient to the will of its Warchief. Thrall was so busy lecturing Garrosh when he got out of hand, that he forgot to actually listen to Garrosh and actually understand him as a person.

Yeah, Thrall screwed up...a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Arthas' fall didn't start with the purge, it began when he swore vengeance on Mal'ganis. His entire journey on Northrend has been Arthas' journey to his own damnation. It's the place where he turned his back on everything he was supposed to uphold to get the power necessary to obtain his revenge.

Garrosh succumbed to a similar desperation. His defeats and failures are what pushed him over the edge. Every loss led to an escalation of his efforts, with any further defeat consequently worsening the situation more and more. Garrosh was desperate to prove he was worthy of his father's glorious and heavy legacy and every single failure made him closer to be, once again, the depressed whiny bitch he was in Nagrand. To prevent that he kept trying harder and harder, until, maybe, he began to try a little too hard. Much like Arthas and his thrist for vengeance, Garrosh has grown so fucking obsessed that he clearly lost his grasp on reality, eventually losing the support of his allies and even most of his people but still convinced he was going to be the hero his father was.

The chosen advisers wasn't the issue. The issue was giving absolute power to a terribly immature leader. That was Thrall's only and monumental mistake. Because it matters not how many advisers or which advisers you give to that leader, you still gave him the power to do everything he wanted. And you don't give all that power to someone who needs to learn and listen. Such power got over Garrosh's head, which coupled with his strong inability to deal with criticism due to his deep insecurity issues boosted his ego and arrogance, obviously met with hostility by everyone around him, as Garrosh thought he was worthy of respect for the mere fact that he was Warchief, rather than work on earning such respect to begin with.

Garrosh acted like everything was due and that he, on the end of the day, didn't really need to listen anyone or question his own decisions. He tried to get their acknowledgement but always on his terms, they were supposed to lick his boots along the Kor'kron and got pissed when this didn't happen, until he applied the absolutist "you're either with me or against me" kind of mentality. In the end he even started to disrespect Eitrigg, the most wise and balanced of all his advisers, to favor the "advice" of his new boot-licker (Malkorok).
    Great analysis. But I still disagree with comparing Arthas's situation to Garrosh's. You are right vengeance was also a motivator for Arthas, but once again his people were actually in true peril. The Plague was no joke, and he was willing to do anything to save his people. Garrosh was simply in the same Cold War esq scenario that the Horde had always been in. The Alliance weren't threatening to wipe them out. He was just a sore loser every time he took a lose whenever they came to blows.

I mean Arthas having to slaughter his own people may have been very traumatic was was willing to go through great lengths to make sure that never happened again. Kael saw his people annihilated, then addicted to magic, meanwhile Sylvannas actually freakin died, and she's has still yet to completely cross the point of no return. Jaina as much as I hate her developement, had a bomb dropped on her head, that destroyed her city and killed Rhonin, and the magic even affected her mentally.

There has been no such trauma in Garrosh's life. Nothing to justify him disregarding his honor and alienating his allies. Daddy issues....that's really it, and Thrall is an utter tard for putting him in charge.

Garrosh spent his entire character development swapping from one extreme to the other.

To me it is Varian for sure, though I am sad he's gone. I never used to care too much for him until I read the books. The Anduin at the broken shore cutscene tugged on my heartstrings for sure.

Garrosh though? That dude was all over the place. He was extremely inconsistent and always acted like a whiny victim. He went from empowering the horde to turning his back on everyone. As far as I know nothing really awful happened to him through out his life to be so troubled.

Worst ending to any story goes to Vol'jin. I loved him but they made him Warchief and sidelined him until they killed him off. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by TankNSpank View Post
    To me it is Varian for sure, though I am sad he's gone. I never used to care too much for him until I read the books. The Anduin at the broken shore cutscene tugged on my heartstrings for sure.

Garrosh though? That dude was all over the place. He was extremely inconsistent and always acted like a whiny victim. He went from empowering the horde to turning his back on everyone. As far as I know nothing really awful happened to him through out his life to be so troubled.

Worst ending to any story goes to Vol'jin. I loved him but they made him Warchief and sidelined him until they killed him off. Damn.
    Vol'jin drew the short stick, someone in the Horde had to die. It was either him or Thrall. Thrall dying alongside Varian would have been more poetic, but despite the whole Green Jesus thing I like Thrall more then Vol'jin so I'm glad he's still around. Killing Baine would have little weight, I mean not only did his father die just a few years ago, but he's had very little development none of us would care. Sylvannas is out of the question, she's literally the only good female character in the game.

varian because his story is still being told through his son, and also because garrosh was a disappointment to everyone who ever believed in him

10+ Year Old Account
    Wheres the both option?

I honestly think both ended pretty well. Even though through different circumstances and outcomes.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Pretty funny that ppl actually thought Garrosh had a good ending.
    They basicly destroyed one of the best warchiefs we ever had (cata era) by the worst plotlines.

He kills a general for using a nuke - Garrosh use a nuke.
    Garrosh saw demonblood as a weakness - Garrosh use sha to boost his troops.
    Garrosh dislikes Ressing of Sylvanas - Garrosh makes a pact with old god followers.
    Garrosh dislikes warlock for there fel use - Garrosh likes dark shaman.

Can keep going by Garrosh from WotlK and Cata would hate the Garrosh from last parts of MoP.

Garrosh's story was good up until Tides of War 180°ed his character, and set him down a path that made no real sense for him. He showed no signs of being blatantly racist up until that book. While he valued strength he also knew that killing for the sake of killing was wrong (stonetalon ending). He was going through growing pains of being a new leader, but appeared to be shaping up as one.

Tides of War was honestly the turning point in WoW's storytelling, and overall just a terrible book. Suddenly anything the Horde did, which until this point was fairly well justified in any action, even if it looked bad from the Alliance PoV, became nearly impossible to defend even from the Horde PoV.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great analysis. But I still disagree with comparing Arthas's situation to Garrosh's. You are right vengeance was also a motivator for Arthas, but once again his people were actually in true peril. The Plague was no joke, and he was willing to do anything to save his people. Garrosh was simply in the same Cold War esq scenario that the Horde had always been in. The Alliance weren't threatening to wipe them out. He was just a sore loser every time he took a lose whenever they came to blows.
    I'm not comparing the situations, I'm comparing the characters. Situations, backgrounds and cultures are different but the characters at the core are the same. Vengeance wasn't just another motivation, it became Arthas' main motivation. He felt questioned and abandoned by the people close to him and much like Garrosh, Arthas didn't like losing and was extremely prideful. He perceived Mal'ganis' schemes as a personal offense and shifted the blame entirely on the Dreadlord for the decision he made, turning the demon into an hated adversary he had to destroy at all costs, no matter what. And let's not forget Arthas had daddy issues as well, plus a conflictual relationship of love/hate with his mentor Uther, much like Garrosh had with Thrall. Both searched their approval and suffered when disappointment was all they got.

"Saving my people" became Arthas' convenient excuse, which is no different at all from Garrosh saying "All I did was for the Horde". Because yes, Arthas had to deal with a crisis the Horde didn't face but this doesn't mean Garrosh didn't start with good intentions as well and saw the Horde's own situation as gorgeous. Much like Arthas was initially focused on "saving his people", Garrosh desired to elevate the humble status of the Horde to what he believed his people deserved, as the Horde Thrall shown him was nothing compared to what he thought it was and should have been in Garrosh's mind. He saw a people relegated in a rocky desert, enemies on all sides, allied with native races he didn't know and didn't trust, while the Alliance, the Horde's former "oppressors", prospered everywhere else and even had the nerve to occasionally threaten the Horde's own lands (Kul Tiras marines) while denying them the strict necessary to survive (Night Elves in Ashenvale).

For someone who knows and understand the big picture it's not really that big of a deal, but for Garrosh, who popped out of nowhere and grew up believing certain things while holding certain expectations, what he saw was dramatic to say the least. And suddenly, like Arthas, you have a guy crushed by high expectations struggling to do the "right thing". But like Arthas, he cracked under all the pressure and the responsibility and ultimately fell prey of his own demons, claiming to fight for the Horde's good and dreams of prosperity, much like Arthas claimed to hunt down Mal'ganis to "save his people", when in reality both became slaves of their emotions and obsessions, fighting only to satisfy a self-centered desire. That's where Arthas and Garrosh are exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Tromage View Post
    He kills a general for using a nuke - Garrosh use a nuke.
    It's hilarious how people believe Krom'gar was executed for "using a nuke". I mean, hello? Ashenvale was fucking firebombed a few miles afar and the big bomb in Stonetalon was delivered there by your own cargo because it was indeed intended to be used at some point.

The problem is not the nuke, the problem is where said nuke was used. It was meant to blow up an Alliance outpost, a military base, not a school filled with nothing but frightened younglings.

Garrosh saw demonblood as a weakness - Garrosh use sha to boost his troops.
    He saw demon blood as a weakness because it led the orcs to become the slaves of someone else. On the other hand, dominating the Sha and, consequently, your own emotions is nothing but a testament of strength.

Garrosh dislikes Ressing of Sylvanas - Garrosh makes a pact with old god followers.
    He never made a pact with Old God followers ever. He went in the Twilight Highlands with the deliberate intention to kill them all, burn their corpses and step on the ashes.

Garrosh dislikes warlock for there fel use - Garrosh likes dark shaman.
    Yes, that's hypocritical. Not inconsistent though. It simply shows how Garrosh dislikes everything demon related but still values power and dominion, to the point of even shitting over his own traditions. Clearly said traditions weren't important enough to become an obstacle between him and his goals.

Can keep going by Garrosh from WotlK and Cata would hate the Garrosh from last parts of MoP.
    Unlikely. Garrosh was a bad apple full of good intentions that, thanks to unfavorable circumstances, eventually pulled the worst out of himself. Yes, he changed over time, that's because he went through a lot of things that favored such change.

Quote Originally Posted by Better View Post
    He showed no signs of being blatantly racist up until that book.
    Garrosh was never enthusiastic of the orc's allies from the very first days he came into Azeroth and always believed the orcs were the top-notch race. Even if he would have managed to get the support of his allies, his vision of the Horde remained a strongly orc-centric force with all the other races being entirely subservient to them. Of course his biases and distrust grown the more said allies opposed his views and decisions.

While he valued strength he also knew that killing for the sake of killing was wrong (stonetalon ending).
    Krom'gar's bombing of the druid school was killing for killing's sake. Nothing of what Garrosh did in Tides of War or MoP was senseless. It was just...extreme. When he tried to assassinate Vol'jin he did it with the idea of eliminating a potential threat for his authority and guess what? He was kinda right. The guy survived and became instrumental into the formation of a rebellion that eventually caused his demise. And that's just an example.

Deleted
    Garrosh should've lived on. He was the most powerful being in Azeroth and there was no way a single shaman could've killed him. He killed Kairoz, the strongest of the bronze drakes, escaped from Taran Zhu, single handedly imprisoned Gul'dan and created a whole empire of orcs. Grommash had to die because the creators wanted Thrall to shine once again. It's the sad truth.

I hope Garrosh didn't really die. He's been plannin in the Alternate Universe Draenor and will attack us when we're dealing with the Legion on Argus.

7+ Year Old Account
    Garrosh had a way more powerful a thought provoking death, because in all honesty...he wasn't really wrong.
    Varians death was more sad, and made you just want to kill your enemy your enemy, who was, in that case Gul'dan

There endings both good just in different ways Id have to say

7+ Year Old Account
    varian whent out like a fucking champ
    both times garrosh whent out (when we beat him, then when he died) he was a fucking cry baby
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good