Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    1060 benefits heavily from memory OC. If the price is the same, it will just strengthen their position in midrange even if 580 is a DX12 monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Id like to see an rx 580 pull off silent and always under 70c, so far i havent seen one. Talking on a 144hz+ monitor, any gpu can achieve this on a 60hz.
    I'm on 1440p 144Hz. I did manually set my fan speed to 35%, GPU runs at ~88C full load, but it's not audible over even my hard drive.

I know I'm on a 290 instead of a 580, but cut 40% off the heat output and things look pretty peachy for the 580's potential.
    Last edited by Nellah; 2017-04-22 at 05:07 AM.
    Super casual.

Reading that nvidia doesn't support their old cards worries me. Since I live in a third world country, where everything is expensive, I tend to buy things to last for years(4~5+ years). I've been using a HD7950 and it's been doing it's job pretty well, but I decided it's finally time to upgrade, as it's struggling to keep up with current generation games. So I got a 1070 because of no AMD options for high end gpus.

I only game in 1080p60, and I know a 480 would do fine for that, but as I said, the point is to last for a very long time, and after seeing some tests, the 480 already can't keep a constant 60 fps in 1080p in some games like MEA. I was looking forward for the next generation of AMD gpus, and this is kinda disappointing. Was really hopping that Vega or whatever would release in April/May, but this rerelease killed all my expectations.

Also, I thought 480 was better than 1060 because of the new drivers, so what happened that people are saying the 1060 is better? And now a 580 would clearly be better than the 1060 since it's pretty much an overclocked 480.

Gaidax pretty much summed up what i was going to link lol.

980ti power consumption numbers and only 3% faster than a stock 1060, that says it all. AMD has great options in the CPU space right now, but id skip the 500 series of GPU's, unless where you buy nvidia has too high of a premium.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    Reading that nvidia doesn't support their old cards worries me. Since I live in a third world country, where everything is expensive, I tend to buy things to last for years(4~5+ years). I've been using a HD7950 and it's been doing it's job pretty well, but I decided it's finally time to upgrade, as it's struggling to keep up with current generation games. So I got a 1070 because of no AMD options for high end gpus.

I only game in 1080p60, and I know a 480 would do fine for that, but as I said, the point is to last for a very long time, and after seeing some tests, the 480 already can't keep a constant 60 fps in 1080p in some games like MEA. I was looking forward for the next generation of AMD gpus, and this is kinda disappointing. Was really hopping that Vega or whatever would release in April/May, but this rerelease killed all my expectations.

Also, I thought 480 was better than 1060 because of the new drivers, so what happened that people are saying the 1060 is better? And now a 580 would clearly be better than the 1060 since it's pretty much an overclocked 480.
    NVIDIA does a poor job optimizing for their older cards, but they do still support them in drivers. My 8800GTX - a GPU released over ten years ago - just received its final driver update last December and has no issues whatsoever running new games (with the exception of performance, of course, and games like Overwatch that require Direct3D 10.1 compliance, which the 8800GTX does not have.)

With regards to the 480/580 versus 1060 debate, the cards are so similar in performance that unless you prefer a certain company's tech ecosystem (FreeSync, ShadowPlay, whatever) or have an EXTREMELY strict power/thermal budget - because let's be honest, even though Polaris can't come close to Pascal's power efficiency, 150-180 watts is not a lot for a video card compared to prior generations - you can't go wrong one way or another.
    Super casual.

Can the amd 500 series be fit into laptops like the nvidia 1000s?
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Can the amd 500 series be fit into laptops like the nvidia 1000s?
    If AMD would bother to do so, I'm sure they could. Maybe not 580 with its dreadful power consumption, but something alongside 550 or 560 sure as hell could fit in many budget-friendly solutions.

I have no idea why there is almost 0 AMD focus on that market really, Nvidia still churns out shit 940MXs and 1050/1060s and such like no tomorrow, I wonder why AMD does not do something similar aside that Macbook Pro thing.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2017-04-22 at 04:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    If AMD would bother to do so, I'm sure they could. Maybe not 580 with its dreadful power consumption, but something alongside 550 or 560 sure as hell could fit in many budget-friendly solutions.

I have no idea why there is almost 0 AMD focus on that market really, Nvidia still churns out shit 940MXs and 1050/1060s and such like no tomorrow, I wonder why AMD does not do something similar aside that Macbook Pro thing.
    AMD is in the CPU market as well as the GPU. Makes sense to focus on their next generation APU's than to make discrete GPU's for laptops. This depends if they go with Vega and use HBM for their new APUs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

They have to develop a platform from scratch. What Apple, Sony and Microsoft did for them was fortunate, but they cant expect laptop manufacturers to develop a platform to work with their hardware. They also probably have to develop a processor architecture from scratch, as both Buldozer and Ryzen focused primary on streamlining multithreaded performance whereas laptops require efficient, high IPC, 2-4 core max processors. Obviously they can pull it off, but it will require effort, money and, most importantly, time.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B