Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    I'd agree, however Anduin in the comic (which is canon unless stated otherwise) has killed a dreadlord despite being more pacifist.

I get the feeling this is a step to being a paladin since he can wield it to kill.
    Anduin is clearly summoning a holy doomhammer there. He's a shamadin.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    Than explain me what personal flaws and negative sides he has, that are not in a way represented that they make him a better or more perfect person?

And is the WoW community not immersing to much into a rather flawed storyline, so that they don't see the double-standarts of Blizz Storytelling anymore? Like, when the Death Knights or the Demon Hunters do evil stuff and are all about vengeance and obsession, its somehow good, when a Paladin does it, it is evil and will end in him becoming a villain for the sake for shallow moral lections. After all, there was a demonic entity that was mass murdering humans and raised them as undeads. Nobody outside of him did shit stopping him. He was the only one who did something against this. And in the end, what corrupted him was not his vengeance, but a blade he grabbed without knowing what it does. It would have done the same if Anduin grabbed Frostmourne. Or if Thrall did it. Or Tirion.
    Anduin's flaw is obvious. He did not know when being diplomatic does not work. He struggled and learned. He tried to talk sense into someone like Garrosh and got almost killed by it. He had to learn that there are times that a leader must make hard decision. Varian also learned from Anduin that killing shits does not always solve the problems in the dwarven civil war. The story of both Varian and Anduin is about them learning from each other.

I don't know about WoW community but I for one have never said what DKs and DHs have done are morally right or even justified. What corrupted Arthas was his vengence and obsession. There was no reason to pursue Mal'ganis. His priority should have been tending to his people more than anything at that point. When he reached Northrend he burned his own ships and blamed it on the mercenaries and got them killed by his soldiers. He knew it that his cause was not justified and his men would want to leave, so he cut all means for them to leave. Also, Arthas was warned that what the blade would do to one who would wield it. You can not say that Anduin would also be corrupted if he was the one to took up the blade. Anduin would not pursue the same path as Arthas did in the first place.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2017-04-22 at 09:28 AM.

Than explain me what personal flaws and negative sides he has, that are not in a way represented that they make him a better or more perfect person?
    He has no flaws other than Mary Sue "flaws" of being too nice and good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozler View Post
    I think a lot of conclusions are being drawn because the sword illuminated itself. Shalamayne naturally had an appearance like that if you look at various depictions of Varian wielding the blades, and I believe Anduin just reawakened it, that's all. People are jumping straight to the fact that it means he's a Paladin.

What other evidence is there to support this?
    by picking up the sword i feel it symbolizes the change, and the fierce face at the very end. all hes missing is some plate armor
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Deleted
    So...

Lichking Thrall confirmed?
    You honestly compared Thrall to Arthas? I don't even...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    ์No, most lore paladins do everything from protecting,killing to healing. Uther did all of those things. You can't really say one paladin is a "ret pala" in lore because he swings around 2h weapon to kill stuff. There's no paladin who stand back and heal all the time in lore. The essence of the order is holy warrior. Uther supported his allies while he was smashing orcs's skulls.
    It's that there aren't any, it's that they were never showcased.

For example, Sunwalker Dezco is what in game would be considered a protection paladin. It's about role preferences, not that paladins can't do all the Light magic and martial stuff.

It's that there aren't any, it's that they were never showcased.

For example, Sunwalker Dezco is what in game would be considered a protection paladin. It's about role preferences, not that paladins can't do all the Light magic and martial stuff.
    It's more about what the situation demands to me.

Isn't the Story of Arthas more like bad luck, the Sword you grabbed is a trap?
    He knew it was a trap. The dais even said so. But in his hatred of Mal'ganis, he was unable to see the truth behind the words, unlike Muradin did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Anduin's flaw is obvious. He did not know when being diplomatic does not work. He struggled and learned. He tried to talk sense into someone like Garrosh and got almost killed by it. He had to learn that there are times that a leader must make hard decision. Varian also learned from Anduin that killing shits does not always solve the problems in the dwarven civil war. The story of both Varian and Anduin is about them learning from each other.

I don't know about WoW community but I for one have never said what DKs and DHs have done are morally right or even justified. What corrupted Arthas was his vengence and obsession. There was no reason to pursue Mal'ganis. His priority should have been tending to his people more than anything at that point. When he reached Northrend he burned his own ships and blamed it on the mercenaries and got them killed by his soldiers. He knew it that his cause was not justified and his men would want to leave, so he cut all means for them to leave. Also, Arthas was warned that what the blade would do to one who would wield it. You can not say that Anduin would also be corrupted if he was the one to took up the blade. Anduin would not pursue the same path as Arthas did in the first place.
    Anduin even tried talking some sense into Garrosh again during the War Crimes novels. and according to the author, it almost worked until TIME TRAVEL! came into the picture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    He has no flaws other than Mary Sue "flaws" of being too nice and good.
    I'm thinking you really don't like Anduin as a character for your own reason, and that's fine - but I think the charge of "Mary Sue" in this case isn't valid (in addition to it being overused as a way of saying "I don't like this character.") Anduin's flaws are lack of confidence and a reticence to act decisively - he has a tendency to over-analyse that, at times, extends itself to pure navel-gazing. These aren't the flaws of being too nice or too good - they extend from him favoring diplomacy over decisiveness and from a perhaps intrinsic timidity in his nature. The whole point of Anduin's current arc is about overcoming his shortcomings as a leader during wartime, and finding the level between his pacifistic roots and the figure cut by his father as a warrior-king. Anduin isn't perfect, and his flaws are the source of his imperfection and not just a crutch to make him more likable from an external sense, and so he fails the primary metrics of being a Mary Sue in my estimation.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I don't know. Not really. He was rather emotional, but what do we define as qualities to be corrupted? Everything that makes you a human? Because when I think about the characters that lack the qualities to be corrupted, I can only think of the most shallow and one-dimensional ones. Tirion Fordring, Anduin Wrynn, Thrall, Characters that are mere Hero Fantasies. Otherwise it was bad luck, he grapped the wrong sword, believing it was for some better cause. It is not like he did the conscious decission to become evil and sacrifice all his friends, like for example Griffith did, who had every choice in his hands. Either he grabs the weapon, safes the rest of his men and gets his weapon or don't do it and everyone dies.
    Ok, let's analyze that for a bit.

By the time Arthas grabs the sword he has:

1) Murdered plague victims in Stratholme and set fire to the city to try and cleanse it.

2) In doing so ignored a direct order from his superior Paladin and in doing so pulls rank like a little bitch.

3) Ignores a direct order from his father the king to return to Lordaeron from Northrend.

4) Murdered multiple mercenaries that chose to work for him.

5) In the murdering of those mercenaries engineers a straight lie while stranding his men on another continent.

6) Ignores a warning specifically given that the sword will screw him over even worse than he currently is.

7) In grabbing the sword "kills" his best friend and another mentor in Mauradin Bronzebeard.

That's like ignoring 15 open manhole signs before falling down a storm drain and screaming "why does this always happen to me?!?!"

Arthas was weak but charismatic. His men loved him and would do everything for him but his hubris was such that he thought he could do no wrong. And the reason he thought so was the worst reason of all - because he would be king and as such the job itself would confer infallibility.

Arthas is perfectly culpable and knows exactly what his actions will cost. By the time he reaches for that sword he's stopped listening to the guidance of The Light for ages.

In regards to Demon Hunters, Death Knights, Warlocks and probably Shadow Priests - their actions are not seen as noble. They are all anti-heroes, often doing wrong things for the right reasons.

They are all viewed with distrust by the races and armies of Azeroth. Only trusted by a few higher ups that view them as useful for their power, like a large but ill-trained animal that you can barely trust but have to use. Demon Hunters only consider themselves noble, to their people they are considered power hungry lunatics that at this point may as well be more demon than mortal. Death Knights don't even consider themselves noble, rather they consider themselves useful nihilists that will either throw themselves into any suicide mission that comes along or since they are mistrusted will simply be given said suicide missions as a matter of course.

Then you have Warlocks that live in the shadows, only stepping forth when they think that their control over demonic energies can win them credit and reward. These are probably the most ill-trusted of all the classes because they actively seek out fel energies and use blood magic. Two things that are basically the equivalent of putting a giant "here we are! Come and get us!" to the Legion on the front lawn.

Finally you have Shadow Priests. Discounting the whole Forsaken Cult of the Fallen Shadow or whatever these guys are the ones people should be distrusting, but they don't know they are there. Not really anyway. They dabble in mind-control, enslavement, touching the dark things that are beyond even the Legion. They trust in the corruption that worms into the heart of Azeroth and their grip on control of their dark powers is even weaker than that of a Warlock over the powers of Fel. At any moment a Shadow Priest could fall to darkness and worse of all you'd never know it until it was too late.

Isnt he a priest? Wont Blizz charge him for class change? Has someone already done this joke?

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if Anduin became a paladin, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he stayed a priest. Lore characters don't have to (and in fact rarely) follow the rather strict class definitions present in-game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bgdfahrq View Post
    Isnt he a priest? Wont Blizz charge him for class change? Has someone already done this joke?
    What's $25 dollars to someone with the economy of half a continent at his disposal?
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

Quote Originally Posted by Frumpy Frumpy Frak View Post
    What's $25 dollars to someone with the economy of half a continent at his disposal?
    Years of war has left Stormwind coffers empty! He has to beg in trade for gold now

Deleted
    Them coats are turning quickly on these forums... This is great fun. But I like that Anduin is maturing. Maybe he gets "the Thrall treatment" and hordebois like me start calling him a Pink Pickle or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Drynix View Post
    Anduin is clearly summoning a holy doomhammer there. He's a shamadin.
    I see what you did there though Paladins for a long time have had hammers as part of their... hm, fantasy for a while. Uther for example holding a mace and possibly the grand daddy to the Paladin mystique which I can't remember exactly is before Thrall having the Doomhammer but still racial leaders don't really follow the class rules like we do so... It could be a new eraaaa!!

I think that Anduin can be both a priest and a paladin, as well as some other characters in the game use several specializations of the class

I certainly hope not. Blizzard has been slowly shitting on priests by making our campaign about needing the paladins, having one of the characters in the campaign literally become a paladin, and so on. Having one of the more well known priest characters become a paladin, just like usual, would be another nail in the coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by Utigarde View Post
    I certainly hope not. Blizzard has been slowly shitting on priests by making our campaign about needing the paladins, having one of the characters in the campaign literally become a paladin, and so on. Having one of the more well known priest characters become a paladin, just like usual, would be another nail in the coffin.
    It wouldn't be another nail in the coffin. It would mean the absolute finality that priests simply aren't a class to be taken seriously or have a meaningful impact in lore.

But there's no would or wouldn't about it, but when. Because when it gets down to it, Anduin being a paladin would be cool to a great amount of people. This is even represented by the sheer amount of simple-minded troglodytes on reddit, the youtube comments of the cinematic, and even here going "YEA IT'S ABOUT TIME ANDUIN BECOMES A PALLY. NO LONGER A PUSSY PRIEST." Even as much as I detest the idea of him being one due to the sheer amount of evidence and rational thought otherwise, I'll admit it would be a little cool if he was.

And as we all well know rule of cool reigns supreme above all else in Blizzard's design philosophy. It's why just yesterday we got a cinematic of Genji riding on top of D.VA's mech and jumping off of it to slash at Diablo.
    Last edited by Erbel; 2017-04-26 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Priests have Velen, Tyrande and Moira. They did not need Anduin as well.
    It's funny how people who use this argument never hold it against the period in Warcraft history that was saturated with paladins.

Anyway Moira is a major lore character in name only and PotM's are pretty much their own class. Tyrande doesn't even use a single in-game priest ability in WoW or HotS. This expansion is also the first time since Rise of the Horde that Velen has been relevant.

Anduin's a complete wimp and pushover and hardly a worthy paladin. The thought of him being our ruler makes my stomach sick.