Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking to buy this, but I'm not a tech guy

So I'm looking at buying a prebuilt computer. Yes yes I know, oh my god whyyyyy. Well because I'm not tech savvy and I don't have any friends who are. Anyway, could anyone take a look at this and tell me what exactly id be working with?

http://m.imgur.com/4L6pfSe

Quote Originally Posted by Emaias View Post
    So I'm looking at buying a prebuilt computer. Yes yes I know, oh my god whyyyyy. Well because I'm not tech savvy and I don't have any friends who are. Anyway, could anyone take a look at this and tell me what exactly id be working with?

Go for it, 7700k and gtx 1080 build for 1450 bucks isnt too terrible. You could do it for cheaper building your own of course, but not everyone likes doing that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buy way better hardware with much less money and have a computer shop assemble everything for ya. The no-name power supply raises some red flags.

We can give you tips if you fill these out:

Budget
    Resolution
    Games / Settings Desired
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Country
    Parts that can be reused
    Do you need an OS?
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

Ideally include a list of parts, we see the same request almost every day. There are other topics that have parts lists that you can copy and modify.

600W PSU and No SSD makes me a little weary. If you aren't comfortable doing your own, then having a pre-built and a service plan will offer some peace of mind, depending on the companies history and the likelihood of them remaining in business. 600W can probably handle an i7 and a 1080, not happily, but the fact that it's a 600 and they write SLI ready...

Shop around, make sure you find one with an SSD and a larger PSU. Shit, they got the mark up high enough you should be able to talk them into putting a proper SSD and PSU in that thing. I mean, the price difference between a good brand at 600 and one at 800 is fairly negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Buy way better hardware with much less money and have a computer shop assemble everything for ya. The no-name power supply raises some red flags.

We can give you tips if you fill these out:

Budget
    Resolution
    Games / Settings Desired
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Country
    Parts that can be reused
    Do you need an OS?
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

Ideally include a list of parts, we see the same request almost every day. There are other topics that have parts lists that you can copy and modify.
    Unfourtantly I went and bought it since I had few PMs saying it was a good buy as long as I wasn't trying to do anything nuts. Should I go ahead and order a 800 PSU and a SSD? How hard is it to install those if I have them do the cables? What exactly does a SSD do? Sorry for all the questions, I'm trying to learn lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfourtantly I went and bought it since I had few PMs saying it was a good buy as long as I wasn't trying to do anything nuts. Should I go ahead and order a 800 PSU and a SSD? How hard is it to install those if I have them do the cables? What exactly does a SSD do? Sorry for all the questions, I'm trying to learn lol.
    It's not the end of the world, and it's not the misbuy of the century, but you definitely could have gotten better. Let's hope the PSU can hold, since the hardware is kinda heavy duty. One of the most basic rules of thumb of computer parts is to never go cheap on the PSU. A Solid State Drive is a Hard Drive with a much smaller capacity, but with MUCH faster read and write times. It is used for loading gigabytes-heavy programs like games and Windows a lot faster than regular hard drives. You use it in parallel with a normal hard drive, which handles non-programs, like movies, music, pictures, etc.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-04-22 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    It's not the end of the world, and it's not the misbuy of the century, but you definitely could have gotten better. Let's hope the PSU can hold, since the hardware is kinda heavy duty. One of the most basic rules of thumb of computer parts is to never go cheap on the PSU. A Solid State Drive is a Hard Drive with a much smaller capacity, but with MUCH faster read and write times. It is used for loading gigabytes-heavy programs like games and Windows a lot faster than regular hard drives. You use it in parallel with a normal hard drive, which handles non-programs, like movies, music, pictures, etc.
    Oh okay, thank you! Would it be hard to swap the PSU and add an SSD? Also any recommendations. I plan on playing Battlegrounds and WoW, possibly Destiny 2 when it comes out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh okay, thank you! Would it be hard to swap the PSU and add an SSD? Also any recommendations. I plan on playing Battlegrounds and WoW, possibly Destiny 2 when it comes out.
    No, not really, but you are a newbie so even the easiest things can be hard. PSU can be kinda complex with every cable but it shouldn't be harder than assembling IKEA furniture. I suggest bartering with the store you just bought it from so they do it for free. They should have a tech crew and it's really not a big hassle for them.

I'm not that familiar with higher tier PSUs, but I heard some really good things about the EVGA 750 G2.

For SSD I recommend PNY CS1311 240GB.

Each costs like $100.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-04-22 at 03:40 PM.

Nah no reason to swap any parts around, they dont put terrible PSU's in there its probably a FSP 80+ model.

SSD is up to you, if you feel the PC boots up fast enough etc no reason to have to reinstall windows.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know people are saying the system is fine but...

Saving $400 for something better seems like sort of a big deal to me. You're spending almost $1800, and for a virtually better system you can get for $1400 (including the $100 you'd pay to have someone build it).

The no-name PSU is not fantastic. No SSD. The 7700K, is it being used to just slapped on? Would a 7600K suffice? Is a 1080 needed? Are you doing single monitor 1080p gaming?

EDIT: I thought tax would be included, but maybe its not (at least for my state) but it still comes out to 1600, which is still 200 bucks more on a weaker system, imo. If it were me I could take that 200 and get some nice accessories (or just not spend it)
    Last edited by chazus; 2017-04-22 at 04:40 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I know people are saying the system is fine but...

Saving $400 for something better seems like sort of a big deal to me. You're spending almost $1800, and for a virtually better system you can get for $1400 (including the $100 you'd pay to have someone build it).

The no-name PSU is not fantastic. No SSD. The 7700K, is it being used to just slapped on? Would a 7600K suffice? Is a 1080 needed? Are you doing single monitor 1080p gaming?

EDIT: I thought tax would be included, but maybe its not (at least for my state) but it still comes out to 1600, which is still 200 bucks more on a weaker system, imo. If it were me I could take that 200 and get some nice accessories (or just not spend it)
    Honestly I talked with a few buddies that are ITs in the NAVY that I work with and they recommended the build. All of them are big gamers and one is a small YouTuber (50k subs). All in all the computer will be used for 1080p single monitor gaming with the addition eventually of a second monitor for Facebook/streams/movies/etc. Mainly I would use it for Battlegrounds (Assuming I like it), Overwatch, WoW and a variation of Steam Games. Also Destiny 2 probably when it comes out.

Is the 7700k overkill?

Thank you

That rig is for 1440p gaming if you have a 1080p monitor get gtx 1070 instead

Its not that hard to build them. There is probably a million youtube videos to show you how.

Honestly I talked with a few buddies that are ITs in the NAVY that I work with and they recommended the build. All of them are big gamers and one is a small YouTuber (50k subs). All in all the computer will be used for 1080p single monitor gaming with the addition eventually of a second monitor for Facebook/streams/movies/etc. Mainly I would use it for Battlegrounds (Assuming I like it), Overwatch, WoW and a variation of Steam Games. Also Destiny 2 probably when it comes out.

Is the 7700k overkill?

Thank you
    No the 7700k is the best gaming CPU on the market. The PC isnt overpriced for a prebuilt, and will be able to play games on max settings for many years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    No the 7700k is the best gaming CPU on the market. The PC isnt overpriced for a prebuilt, and will be able to play games on max settings for many years.
    Personally, I think it is, at least in this case. WoW doesn't utilize it, and we have no idea if Battlegrounds and Destiny 2 will support it well. To me (again, my opinion), that's $100 wasted.

HOWEVER, given that the system will be intended to last 4-6 years probably, who knows what games do use multithreading that capture interest later, or gain support, and that more games are supporting multithreading well, it may be worthwhile. If you're already okay spending that money it's no big deal.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Well it seems they already bought it. Even so i really cannot suggest i5's in 2017 with the existence of R5's on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Well it seems they already bought it. Even so i really cannot suggest i5's in 2017 with the existence of R5's on the market.
    Non-overclockable i5s (i5 7500 wink-wink) still have no competition among AMD lineup for gaming-only systems. And strangely enough, most people who buy PCs want gaming only rigs.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Non-overclockable i5s (i5 7500 wink-wink) still have no competition among AMD lineup for gaming-only systems. And strangely enough, most people who buy PCs want gaming only rigs.
    I suggest YOU buy an i5, really be my guest

Quote Originally Posted by Klowned1 View Post
    600W PSU and No SSD makes me a little weary. If you aren't comfortable doing your own, then having a pre-built and a service plan will offer some peace of mind, depending on the companies history and the likelihood of them remaining in business. 600W can probably handle an i7 and a 1080, not happily, but the fact that it's a 600 and they write SLI ready...

Shop around, make sure you find one with an SSD and a larger PSU. Shit, they got the mark up high enough you should be able to talk them into putting a proper SSD and PSU in that thing. I mean, the price difference between a good brand at 600 and one at 800 is fairly negligible.
    With each generation of CPUs using less and less power, a 600W PSU is more than enough for a single 1080 and there's still really enough headroom from a second one if needed. Seriously, a system with a 7700k and SLI 1080s is only going to draw about 500W. As long as it's a good quality PSU that actually puts out what it says, a 600W is more than enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post

You really think the i5-7500 has no competition? The R5 1600 is pretty much the same price and both come with a cooler and motherboard prices are comparable. For right around the same price you get 2 more cores, 8 more threads and the ability to overclock, which since the 7500 can't, will likely leave their performance about the same. You don't call that competition?

EDIT: Actually, looked at some videos on youtube and really, the 1600 and the 7500 are neck-to-neck. 1600 performs better in some games and worse in others, but it's all really within about 5% of each other in the worst cases, closer to 1% in most. Also, if you look the video of the double blind test, you can't really perceive a difference in the two at all. In fact, in the one I watched, all 3 people mentioned some hiccups and stuttering at a certain point in one game. At the end, you found out it was one of the intel machines that was doing that stuttering. Outside of that one particular area in one game though, you could not really tell the difference.

So yes, the non-overclockable i5's do in fact have competition from AMD. The only thing that does not really have competition are the i3's, which are not worth it really when you can get the G4560 for around half the price and similar performance and the G4560 itself, which yeah, is a bargain that can not really be touched by AMD currently, at least until the R3s come out and blow it out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You really think the i5-7500 has no competition? The R5 1600 is pretty much the same price and both come with a cooler and motherboard prices are comparable. For right around the same price you get 2 more cores, 8 more threads and the ability to overclock, which since the 7500 can't, will likely leave their performance about the same. You don't call that competition?

EDIT: Actually, looked at some videos on youtube and really, the 1600 and the 7500 are neck-to-neck. 1600 performs better in some games and worse in others, but it's all really within about 5% of each other in the worst cases, closer to 1% in most. Also, if you look the video of the double blind test, you can't really perceive a difference in the two at all. In fact, in the one I watched, all 3 people mentioned some hiccups and stuttering at a certain point in one game. At the end, you found out it was one of the intel machines that was doing that stuttering. Outside of that one particular area in one game though, you could not really tell the difference.

So yes, the non-overclockable i5's do in fact have competition from AMD. The only thing that does not really have competition are the i3's, which are not worth it really when you can get the G4560 for around half the price and similar performance and the G4560 itself, which yeah, is a bargain that can not really be touched by AMD currently, at least until the R3s come out and blow it out of the water.
    All those test I've seen (you probably aswell) have serious methodology problems, using top rigs with highend X370 boards and top memory for testing, all of which benefits Ryzen performance and doesnt for locked i5s, all of which an average budget gaming rig buyer wouldnt have. Ability to overclock is useful but mostly irrelevant due to lack of capable B350 boards (also their price) and cooling requirements.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B