Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    Of course you can. Why wouldn't you? I mean if you insult me, we're probably not gonna be friends anymore, and you will eventually have to go. But if someone is a christian or something and doesn't like it that I say something he finds blasphemic and throws me out saying "my house my rules", he's a dick and can go fuck himself.
    So you're saying you would remove someone for insulting you....how is that different from banning someone for breaking rules? It's not, but you're about to do some third grade mental gymnastics to spin this. I will be waiting with me 0/10 judge card.

Of course you can. Why wouldn't you? I mean if you insult me, we're probably not gonna be friends anymore, and you will eventually have to go.
    So - I don't get to say what I want, because if I do then you will eject me from your house.

i.e. - no freedom of speech.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

100% Freedom of Speech is a myth. There is no place in the world it exists, except your own mind.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

No and Freedom of Speech does not equal Freedom From Consequences.

Freedom of Speech means you can say "I hate the Government" or "I believe the earth is flat" and not be arrested. But you can not go into a theater and yell fire.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer eccles View Post
    as the title asks, do you think it applies or do you think it should apply if it doesnt already?
    Freedom of speech also means that government actively protects your right to speak freely, so that no individual can forcefully shut you up and prevent from speaking what you want to speak. Internet de facto is a public space. Any publicly accessible internet forum is no different than public street or public square. Rules can be established about permitted topics, yet they cannot be discriminatory. That is - banning politics talk from culinary forum is okay, but banning talk about specific presidential candidate on forum specifically about presidential election is not okay. Similarly how hiring basing on experience is okay, but basing on skin color is not okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Not in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Freedom of Speech means you can say "I hate the Government" or "I believe the earth is flat" and not be arrested. But you can not go into a theater and yell fire.
    Actually you cannot go anywhere and "yell fire", because that's intentional spreading of panic and possible endangering of others health (if people panic and run over each other).
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Then you are censoring what I have to say.
    Yeah, no. Try to make sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    So you're saying you would remove someone for insulting you....how is that different from banning someone for breaking rules? It's not, but you're about to do some third grade mental gymnastics to spin this. I will be waiting with me 0/10 judge card.
    Depends on what the rules are. I'm not saying there shouldn't be rules or that people shouldn't be banned. But that doesn't mean I support censorship.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    So - I don't get to say what I want, because if I do then you will eject me from your house.

i.e. - no freedom of speech.
    Yeah you don't get what freedom of speech means.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    No, it is between government and its people, nothing else.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

as the title asks, do you think it applies or do you think it should apply if it doesnt already?
    Of course it should. The government should not be allowed to interfere with speech on private forums.

Oh wait, you meant you should be able to speak on a forum owned by some other person, even if that owner doesn't want you there? Of course not, that would be absurd.

It's like the difference between "the government should not control sexual activities between adults" and "you should not able to say no to my sexual advances".
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2017-04-22 at 05:54 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Freedom of speech does not entitle you to a podium to speak from.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Freedom of speech also means that government actively protects your right to speak freely, so that no individual can forcefully shut you up and prevent from speaking what you want to speak. Internet de facto is a public space. Any publicly accessible internet forum is no different than public street or public square. Rules can be established about permitted topics, yet they cannot be discriminatory. That is - banning politics talk from culinary forum is okay, but banning talk about specific presidential candidate on forum specifically about presidential election is not okay. Similarly how hiring basing on experience is okay, but basing on skin color is not okay.
    lol no. There is no such thing as a "public internet forum". There are publicly accessible internet forums, like the one you're on. However, they are owned by private entities (in this case Curse), and would therefore be comparable to a privately owned business that is open to the general public.
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Internet de facto is a public space.
    Mostly correct. There are nations where this is less true than in other nations.

Any publicly accessible internet forum is no different than public street or public square. Rules can be established about permitted topics, yet they cannot be discriminatory. That is - banning politics talk from culinary forum is okay, but banning talk about specific presidential candidate on forum specifically about presidential election is not okay.
    If an Internet forum is publicly owned, sure. Most aren't.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    It does, in so much as freedom of speech is the freedom from government interference. However, as a private forum, the owners are, and should be, allowed to set whatever rules they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    No and Freedom of Speech does not equal Freedom From Consequences.

It's not even that, freedom of speech does not give control over private owners. You insult or annoy me in my home, I have the right to throw you out. The 1A won't protect you from that. This applies to business property and online space as well.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    And you clearly don't understand what censorship means.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    No, it is private. Just like you can't come onto my property and protest.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Yeah, no. Try to make sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on what the rules are. I'm not saying there shouldn't be rules or that people shouldn't be banned. But that doesn't mean I support censorship.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh...okay, got it. You just have no idea what the words you are using mean. Figured it out. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Should I be able to barge in to a wedding and sing "Work Bitch"?

Yes.
    And should their security dump what's left of you in the nearest mailbox?

(Trick question: you can't mail biohazards.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    Yes. Government has no business interfering with what forum owners allow to write.
    Yet people are happy for big business to do the same thing.