Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nozmail View Post
    does having a win rate of > 50% enough for you too climb if you played enough games? i think it would take a lot more than > 50% because of the variability of SR points on wins and losses on your matches. maybe at least 60%?
    >50% should be enough to climb if you are performing well in those games. Also depends on what kind of opponents you're winning, if you're only winning against underdogs then it might be tough to climb. Also playing support still seems like a bad way to climb SR-wise, supports seem to still be gaining less overall SR from wins than tanks/dps.

With >60% wins, it should be pretty safe to say that you can climb.

Deleted
    I have pretty much only solo queued (except for the odd game with a couple of friends) got placed in Platinum my first season. Worked my way up to grandmaster. Hovering around 4000 rating now.

It is far from impossible but if you main a single hero you play the game wrong. You can't expect a single hero to work every game. The best way to solo queue and gain SR is to fill the gaps that the team has or be flexible within a single role.

Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    >50% should be enough to climb if you are performing well in those games. Also depends on what kind of opponents you're winning, if you're only winning against underdogs then it might be tough to climb. Also playing support still seems like a bad way to climb SR-wise, supports seem to still be gaining less overall SR from wins than tanks/dps.

With >60% wins, it should be pretty safe to say that you can climb.
    Anecdotal but I don't think supports earn more or less sr anymore, atleast from what I've observed.

There were some issues but I'm confident those all got fixed by now, some of it is 'placebo'.

Though I'd still argue against maining (don't main at all pls) Mercy if you want to climb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Anecdotal but I don't think supports earn more or less sr anymore, atleast from what I've observed.

There were some issues but I'm confident those all got fixed by now, some of it is 'placebo'.

Though I'd still argue against maining (don't main at all pls) Mercy if you want to climb.
    There was an issue, they were looking into it and I think they said it was fixed but were keeping an eye on it.

Problem is as support when the match is a roll in either direction, you're either completely powerless or completely unnecessary and that really hits you hard in terms of gains or mitigation. You really need close matches to properly shine in that role, and the system just isn't such that those happen often enough. It can happen as tank too on defence, if the other side make no headway and all you need to do is protect your team who are otherwise doing a good job keeping the other side dead; it's a big reason I'm loath to play Reinhardt, you just aren't rewarded for strong wins.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalinin View Post
    I have pretty much only solo queued (except for the odd game with a couple of friends) got placed in Platinum my first season. Worked my way up to grandmaster. Hovering around 4000 rating now.

It is far from impossible but if you main a single hero you play the game wrong. You can't expect a single hero to work every game. The best way to solo queue and gain SR is to fill the gaps that the team has or be flexible within a single role.
    I beg to differ. I climbed 1000 SR playing only one hero and mastering this. Filling gaps with heroes doesnt work for me, even thoug i am pretty good with most toons, "pretty good" just isnt "master" level. While i do agree, a balanced team is needed, i rather want perople playing what they are best at, than trying to put together a meta with lack of aim/awareness for the toons they choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Syldarin View Post
    I beg to differ. I climbed 1000 SR playing only one hero and mastering this. Filling gaps with heroes doesnt work for me, even thoug i am pretty good with most toons, "pretty good" just isnt "master" level. While i do agree, a balanced team is needed, i rather want perople playing what they are best at, than trying to put together a meta with lack of aim/awareness for the toons they choose.
    and which hero did you climbed with if i may ask?

i think dps > tank > support. that is as to which heroes have most controls of the games. the "carry" heroes. as dps have the highest kill capabilities, they have the most "carry" potential; don't need a much organized team to get your kills. tanks rely much on teammates; roadhog the least imo. support? can't support your teammates if they die 1 by 1 to the enemy.

i think dps > tank > support. that is as to which heroes have most controls of the games. the "carry" heroes. as dps have the highest kill capabilities, they have the most "carry" potential; don't need a much organized team to get your kills. tanks rely much on teammates; roadhog the least imo. support? can't support your teammates if they die 1 by 1 to the enemy.
    There's lots of Roadhog one tricks that got Master/GM when he was on the stronger side, Zarya too.

Reinhardt also tends to climb naturally as he's a great 'carry' because having a good Rein seemingly makes your entire team play less shit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you won 5 games, lost 3, and ended up lower than where you started, it's because your performance over those 8 games was well below what they'd expect for someone of your rank. You're ranked too highly, and SHOULD lose rank as a result.

That's not the system being "broken", that's exactly how it's meant to work.
    this.
    the system works very well, even to a point where I wonder how they measure your performance so accurately. Cannot speak for Overwatch, but in heroes where they use a similar structure, I played teamleague with 2 friends and we all three ranked differently while obviously having the same winrate (6:4). We completely agreed with how it placed us - diamond 5, 3 and 1, which is some difference in skill right there (i am the diamond 5 btw =( )

Solo qs just provide too many excuses for players not to acknowledge their own faults. The system works. You can even climb rating with a winrate <50% if your performance is good, at leats on hots

Deleted

This. I saw a Lucio only GM making fun of other people for being so low rank. Shit like this makes me want to punch those people in the face.

As much as I prefer to be healed by GM Ana's or hell, even Mercy. It doesn't come close to getting my respect when I see people climb to GM using Tracer or McCree or something.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    (On PS4) In S3 i did go solo the most time. I ranked up from upper gold (after placement) to high Diamond. I did nothing else then when i played with friends. Even when the others in the team don´t speak a single word, i communucated with them via Voice.Sometimes it was helpfull, sometimes they just ignored me.

Same goes for S4 now. Just with that i don´t have that much time to spend. ranked up from low platinum to high platinum. I guess i will rank up to low diamond this seasion only.

No tricks, no cheats, just luck i guess.

Deleted
    I see this with Junkrat more than any other hero,

WHY do is it always the junkrat who refuses to switch for teamcomp? enemy team has a Pharah (as per fucking usual these days) he keeps getting demolished and wont repick for 2 rounds, last round comes the sombra instead.

It tilts me all the wrong ways, partially because hit scans are needed in this Pharah infested game, and partially because people bloody refuse to play them.

Keyboard Turner
    5+ Year Old Account
    solo queue this season has been rough...been running into a lot of rage quitters, people refusing to change teamp comp as needed to deal with the enemy team etc.....the first 3 seasons I was easily able to solo and hardly ever ran into any people that were toxic.

Deleted

It works on ton of heroes. Seen people ranking to GM by solo queue at least with going onetrick with following heroes: Torbjörn, Symmetra, Pharah, Genji, Hanzo, Reinhardt, Roadhog, Zarya.

Yes, there's actually people who play only Torbjörn/Symmetra on GM level.

I finally, through solo queue, got to platinum. Mercy only.

I only did it because people in quickplay can be just the worst types of people.

"Nice gold bruh"

"You suck as Mercy"

"You suck as Mei"

You can block and report these kinds of people but when it comes down to it, tossing out such a lowblow is just petty. I really do wish "Avoid this Player" was a thing but nope, had to be removed because of *one* Widowmaker player complaining about it.

And the silver lining out of all this was I got motivated enough to earn ~350 SR to get platinum. And it got my interest in getting a better rank, but every single "pro" guide told me to not play support.

What the fuck kind of advice is that? Some people enjoy healing or playing supportive roles. I also learned how stupid the SR gain/loss system is.

During my road to platinum, I went from 2442 to 2438 and it stayed there for four losses. I lost nothing and gained nothing in the process. What? That makes no sense. Just earlier in S4 I did my placement matches and was at 2498, and lost 17 times in a row, went down to 2375 where it was stuck there up until recently when I got motivated by some trash talker and his two butt buddies to get a better rating.

This SR thing is very strange, confusing, and very inconsistent.

Last little bit is a friend of mine who is in Master ranking tells me it's hell for solo queue, namely support, in high platinum and low diamond rating and it's dubbed elo hell by many.

That comment was supported by several others with a quick google search. It killed my motivation to bother really anymore with comp. I will do my placements next season, hope I get platinum again, get my comp points, buy my gold weapon for Mercy, and be done with competitive for good until some of the factors of the game are addressed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigy View Post
    I see this with Junkrat more than any other hero,

WHY do is it always the junkrat who refuses to switch for teamcomp? enemy team has a Pharah (as per fucking usual these days) he keeps getting demolished and wont repick for 2 rounds, last round comes the sombra instead.

It tilts me all the wrong ways, partially because hit scans are needed in this Pharah infested game, and partially because people bloody refuse to play them.
    Those people may not be confident in their aim enough to reliably pick hitscan heroes. I mean, what else are they supposed to do in that situation? It also might be a lack of game sense, which I find myself falling victim to. Often, I don't know what's going wrong, I'm not sure how to fix it, so I stick with what I do know. Just offering some possible insight.

i'll just go out of my comfort zone and try pharah. thanks to Marweinicus, i might try that fierce pharah game play. i'll rot in my elo if i stick with reinhardt/zarya with random teammates who either support you or not.

i'll rot in my elo if i stick with reinhardt/zarya with random teammates who either support you or not.
    I dunno, Zarya is the hero I use to rank up. It's not unusual for me to get top everything and at least partially make up for the group's flaws.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Deleted
    I climb whenever I put effort it, GM on 2 accounts. It's more than doable solo, you just need to master a few heroes and focus on strictly your own gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    I dunno, Zarya is the hero I use to rank up. It's not unusual for me to get top everything and at least partially make up for the group's flaws.
    zarya is great. i just had some games wherein i face with an enemy zarya which is almost my equal, but her teammates are much more coordinated, making her charge her damage way faster than i do. i sincerely wish for a reinhardt or a roadhog co-tank when i zarya, and almost beg supports to keep him alive.