Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Kitchen. Probably coming up with recipes or food that can be used in rations or that would otherwise keep well. I don't know if the military still has people do this though. If not, run-of-the mill kitchen I suppose.

I am a chef and work in qualitative market research.
    They don't.

It's all pre-packaged RTE food. Unless of course you're on a base or a ship somewhere and you're IN LUCK that they have a kitchen.

Edit; "That" not "If".
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Deleted
    In the event of war, I'm a hostage.

Deleted
    back out the door with a "no thanks" letter.
    Asthmatic and Fucked back and knees (not enough to stop me working thankfully, but enough to stop me from serving)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    None, since the army asks for a minimum of 6.0 in eyesight (plus or minus), which I've long crossed.

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of militaries work like this as far as I'm aware. Which means you have to meet their criteria.
    Yup.

If you can't hike the 70miles a day? I believe it is. With a decent 70Lbs. pack on your back, they don't want you..

Basically like raiding, mythic raids and what-not. If you can't pull enough of the right numbers, then you're holding back the rest of your peers. In which case, they drop you cause you're dead weight and will only slow them down/ get people killed.

Edit: There's no way that 70 miles a day is right. It's still some really big number with a really big pack.. But I think 70 a day is impossible.
    Last edited by Violent; 2017-04-22 at 08:33 PM.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    Yup.

If you can't hike the 70miles a day? I believe it is. With a decent 70Lbs. pack on your back, they don't want you..
    I'm fairly sure that isn't a standard requirement for your soldiers.

I've done 50km a day with 30kg'ish backpack. Even that breaks most people.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I'm fairly sure that isn't a standard requirement for your soldiers.

I've done 50km a day with 30kg'ish backpack. Even that breaks most people.
    Yeah, The 70 miles a day, I'm sure isn't perfectly correct..

However, the standard battle-pack any and pretty much all foot soldiers have, weighs up to 70Lbs, or more on any given trek out.

During basic it's one of the things you do. Pretty much the whole time. Because out in the actual field, it's going to weigh that, and even more wet.

I suppose given my background the obvious fit would be in one of the scientific research groups. I have a fair bit of expertise with host-pathogen interaction and vaccination, so I'm a lot more valuable there than fighting.

I'd really want to kill the fitness tests though just because it's fun. The running part is very easy and the strength isn't too bad, but I wonder how I'd fair if I was actually shooting for Ranger school or other more physically challenging roles. I'd probably need to tack on some muscle to be viable there.

Deleted
    Most likely in a casket lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be in the "go away" line.

Also, possibly, the prison they send you to for going AWOL.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    Yup.

Basically like raiding, mythic raids and what-not. If you can't pull enough of the right numbers, then you're holding back the rest of your peers. In which case, they drop you cause you're dead weight and will only slow them down/ get people killed.

Edit: There's no way that 70 miles a day is right. It's still some really big number with a really big pack.. But I think 70 a day is impossible.
    When I was in, we had to do a 12 mile hike up Heartbreak Hill in Fort Knox, Kentucky with a 50 pound backpack on and a rifle, metal helmet and other gear. So the 70 miles, 70 pounds of weight is a exaggeration. Now the Rangers may have such a grueling test requirement, not sure. But no way the regular Army does.

Deleted
    Probably kitchen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    as a female (student) archaeologist with computer experience, where would you put me in the military (if given you have to put me somewhere within the military obviously)?

Pls no "in the kitchen" jokes.
    Clerk. 100%.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I suppose given my background the obvious fit would be in one of the scientific research groups. I have a fair bit of expertise with host-pathogen interaction and vaccination, so I'm a lot more valuable there than fighting.

I'd really want to kill the fitness tests though just because it's fun. The running part is very easy and the strength isn't too bad, but I wonder how I'd fair if I was actually shooting for Ranger school or other more physically challenging roles. I'd probably need to tack on some muscle to be viable there.
    Funnily enough, most "elite" schools offer very little in the way of testing absolute fitness, rather simply testing your ability to operate whilst being steadily degraded over weeks and weeks...

10+ Year Old Account
    I know pretty much absolutely nothing about the army, so I don't know.

I was going through clinical depression at the time of the draft (yeah, we have drafting. Thanks Russia.), but I was given a choice if I wanted to give the army a try or not. At the time, I felt it was better to pass, as I was a bit suicidal. I'm soon 30 and still seeing psychotherapy, so I doubt the army is too interested in me.

But just for the sake of the argument, I'm planning on studying to become a Practical Nurse, so I guess I could work at a hospital? If I am accepted in the school, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Altberg View Post
    Funnily enough, most "elite" schools offer very little in the way of testing absolute fitness, rather simply testing your ability to operate whilst being steadily degraded over weeks and weeks...
    That's why I'm interested in it! I've never been put to that kind of test. I'm a decent marathoner, so my fitness and endurance are quite good and I'm reasonably strong and could work on that easily. But can I handle the grind that those guys do? Honestly, I have no idea. I know it'd hurt like hell. I know that there's no such thing as being prepped to where you won't break down - you will break down. What happens then?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post

Being physically fit enough is the easy part, the mental toughness is the hard part. Ranger school, and the Army in general, is more a test of your will to not quit on yourself than anything