Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Question Could Eugenics Work now?

Please pause for a moment and try to refrain from thinking of me as a Nazi or white nationalist and instead lets try to take an unbiased look at the idea of eugenics.

Obviously the history of eugenics makes it look like a pretty horrendous idea, but the Hindenburg also looked like a terrible idea the moment it crashed and scorched the lives of many people. However, that failure of the Hindenburg did not stop humans from creating blimps that now function safely and properly.

Now we have far more scientific tools, such as genetic manipulation and beneficial gene identification, to make the idea of eugenics more plausible with less backlash.

For example, if government were to impose incentives for people to breed with specific partners based on genetic analysis of traits that are beneficial to society without any negative punishment for other breeding, then eugenics would not have such immediate and drastic consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Please pause for a moment and try to refrain from thinking of me as a Nazi or white nationalist and instead lets try to take an unbiased look at the idea of eugenics.

Obviously the history of eugenics makes it look like a pretty horrendous idea, but the Hindenburg also looked like a terrible idea the moment it crashed and scorched the lives of many people. However, that failure of the Hindenburg did not stop humans from creating blimps that now function safely and properly.

Now we have far more scientific tools, such as genetic manipulation and beneficial gene identification, to make the idea of eugenics more plausible with less backlash.

For example, if government were to impose incentives for people to breed with specific partners based on genetic analysis of traits that are beneficial to society without any negative punishment for other breeding, then eugenics would not have such immediate and drastic consequences.
    Are you prepared to be the one who gets sterilized, prohibited from partnering, or even euthanized for the betterment of society?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Are you prepared to be the one who gets sterilized, prohibited from partnering, or even euthanized for the betterment of society?
    I said nothing about sterilization did I? I said provide incentives to breed traits that are beneficial for society. I did not say people should be punished for other types of breeding. You inserted the idea of sterilization into my original argument although it did not contain it. We call that creating a straw man, attacking it, and claiming like you won something.
    Last edited by nanook12; 2017-04-23 at 12:42 AM.

I knew this was a nanook thread before I clicked on it! Good eugenics on my part.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

It's still, more or less, the same question of ethics that is the issue with eugenics.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I said nothing about sterilization did I? I said provide incentives to breed traits that are beneficial for society. I did not say people should be punished for other types of breeding. You inserted the idea of sterilization into my original argument although it did not contain it. We call that creating a straw man, attacking it, and claiming like you won something.
    So that's a no then. You're a proponent of eugenics without being willing to be a victim of eugenics.

Eugenics requires controlled breeding, so how do you propose to stop the "undesirables" from breeding?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I knew this was a nanook thread before I clicked on it! Good eugenics on my part.
    I donno if I am happy or sad to hear that. I like to think I walk the middle line between famous and infamous.

Deleted
    What is it with you and your borderline insane threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    traits that are beneficial to society
    Please define these.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Because people are dumb, selfish and mean.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

lets talk about slavery.... purely as a mental exercise.... of course......

China did this with Yao Ming (sp) the former NBA Rockets? player. They took the two tallest people in China and "breed" them.

Gattica was an interesting scifi movie with insight what a society like that might look like. Whether you breed people for military service or scientists that will fundamentally change the nature of the way we all approach child rearing... which is pretty significant to the human condition imo. You think religious wars are brutal now, i could only imagine that world
    Last edited by Glnger; 2017-04-23 at 02:39 AM.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

7+ Year Old Account
    The main problem with it is who "the authorities" are. Do we have some genetic god's out there that are able to decide the fate of the human genome?

Define 'work' ?

If you mean to homogenise homo-sapiens and remove the prospect of variety and change, then absolutely it would work.

As to if it is a good thing ... absolutely not.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    No. Because people are dumb, selfish and mean.
    ...and no amount of science will fix any of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    ...and no amount of science will fix any of that.
    Which is why eugenics won't help.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    Slavery is common practice, the only difference is we get the slaves to buy their own food and shelter these days.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

7+ Year Old Account
    The human body and brain hasn't changed that much in 20k years. It is time for eugenics and machines to compete in terms of outperforming current humans at everything.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post

China did this with Yao Ming (sp) the former NBA Rockets? player. They took the two tallest people in China and "breed" them.

Gattica was an interesting scifi movie with insight what a society like that might look like. Whether you breed people for military service or scientists that will fundamentally change the nature of the way we all approach child rearing... which is pretty significant to the human condition imo.
    Why not talk about slavery? What if slaves had rights and the owners were benevolent? Hell, human slavery on a large scale would potentially still exist if he didn't learn how to enslave hydrocarbons (oil/gasoline). The moment we run out of ways to generate power through fossil fuels, solar, nuclear, etc is the moment we start seeing human slavery again.

Screw that.

Ain't nobody gonna tell me with who to breed with. Seriously now, if the government dares to impose rules on love, even if it's "just an incentive", I'll be the first to amok.

Now people are supposed to have some sort of benefit over me because they decided to breed with genetic freaks. Naw man, not in my books.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whose to say what the "right" traits are?

Time was that some people thought that having blonde hair and blue eyes were the "best" traits to have, and did an awful lot of bad things to try and further that.

Putting continued time, money, and effort into education, rather than inane breeding programs, is the way forward. So that, among other things, people can see why things like "eugenics" is pseudoscience at best and dystopian scapegoating at the worst.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.