Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    not playing =/= not knowing. New gens just think that WoW is and old game made for older people than them (which is mostly true). Think about boules for example, i am pretty sure everybody knows boules, but i don't see people bellow 60 years playing it.

Trolls: lots of houses have TVs on all day.

Durr! Future boy and future girl are too edgy for TV? Doesn't matter. TV is blaring.

And yeah, even advertising WoW is a waste. It's been dead since they stopped posting subscriber numbers.

Just let this old game die...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    "Attention span", hah.
    You mean more and more people don't want to spend so much time being bored out of their minds.
    Depends on your definition of boredom, I suppose. MMORPGs can teach people patience, sometimes basic discipline and subordination, medium-to-long term planning, sometimes number crunching and many other things that can only be seen as a mark of maturity. All of those are not useless even outside of gaming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    So THAT'S why MOBAs have a terrible community. Can't get into them. The "fucking faggot feeding omg jungle qq report newb" bs is annoying.
    MOBA and shooters' "community" is pure cancer. I remember BF3 chat back in the days, it was sometimes just as good.
    Heck, any F2P or B2P community is prone to that kind of retardation. Monthly subscription at least eliminates a certain amount of worst people from the game.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Advertising has nothing to do with it. It's just that MMORPGs aren't appealing to people anymore. They take way too much time/effort. FPS/MOBA games have moderately quick rounds that require no prior investment in grinding or whatnot. They also don't have the stigma of being "nerdy/dorky".

I still believe that the only reason MMORPGs caught on in the first place was because they were social (social networks weren't really a thing) and had large, open worlds (not many games did back then). That's not enough of a hook in the modern gaming era.

WoW will be the EQ of the 2020's

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Back in the days, the kids knew WoW, the teachers did. Now nobody.
    You don't know what you are talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't be that guy that tries to assign all of these amazing character-building elements to farming herbs and beating up pixel monsters.
    WoW is not the only MMORPG available on the market. Some of them do have those elements.
    Again, stop considering just WoW and consider the whole genre.

Maybe there are fewer assholes in WoW (I'm doubtful) but what makes it so much worse is constantly having to interact with them in one way or another, and often being at their mercy to get anything done. I don't wanna spend another evening linking achievements and whispering item levels to angry 14 year olds, honestly.
    I agree. This is one of the factors contributing to the decline of MMORPGs.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm would advertising on Netflix have more eyes on it? Though never had the service I just figured with the streaming TV shows and such they would have ads.

7+ Year Old Account
    Dude,they even advertise on Instagram.

I just think that wow lost it's "magic",you know that mysterious aura it used to have.
    It's old,the game have changed and the gaming generation have changed. It's the same as cloth trends,it comes and goes.

Also i think that the amount of catch-up there is for new players nowdays can scare them away a little or at least give them the "it's too late for me to start now" feeling.
    Last edited by Batar; 2017-04-23 at 08:52 PM.
    You must gain control over your gold or the lack of it will forever control you.

Quote Originally Posted by Notshauna View Post
    Oh yes the new generation known for their love of games that take no attention span like Minecraft........ Oh wait that argument is as full of shit as it was 30 years ago when people were complaining about short form episodic TV.
    Ok snowflake
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Simple as that. Plenty of places i notice lately, when there is a WoW reference or picture, nobody seems to know it.
    Not even the simple WoW cinematics some still wonder what game it is.

The new generation right now has no clue what WoW is.

Blizzard can easily get new subs from the newer generation by just advertising ALOT on TV etc. Yet they do not.

I feel like Blizzard is abandoning the game itself bit by bit, just realising this after seeing newer generation not knowing WoW.
    I kinda said this before legion even launched, Legion wasnt pulling new players in, simply retaining the ones it already had, and even they are leaving now.

This isnt news honestly, but its an inevitability that was long comming.

Simple as that. Plenty of places i notice lately, when there is a WoW reference or picture, nobody seems to know it.
    Not even the simple WoW cinematics some still wonder what game it is.

The new generation right now has no clue what WoW is.

Blizzard can easily get new subs from the newer generation by just advertising ALOT on TV etc. Yet they do not.

I feel like Blizzard is abandoning the game itself bit by bit, just realising this after seeing newer generation not knowing WoW.
    mmo are on the same crashing route of the rts, unless there is a real jump on tech and virtual reality take the flag or the number of players is destined to return to what it used to be before wow, way way under the million per game.
    Last edited by bufferunderrun; 2017-04-23 at 10:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

They should make a sponsorship deal with the world's most famous youtubers. A few WoW-themed wallpapers behind these guys would literally stir the pot.

MMOs also used to be social platforms. There are too many extremely succesful social platforms out there that people use all the time. Being a social platform was one of the appeals of MMOs. That appeal is almost completely gone and only the gaming value is left.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2017-04-23 at 10:44 PM.

I wouldn't exactly recommend this game to other people, considering how unengaging the starting content can be for new players. The leveling is way to easy to the point that it might aswell not exist, making it more of a chore. And getting to queue for dungeons can give new players a bad impression of how people just steamroll the whole place trying to go as fast as possible. And then once you finally get to the end game, there's a good chance that all the grind and gating will turn them off as they would realise by now that there are better options of games out there to play.

I think Blizzard knows well enough that the game doesn't attract that many new players, not enough to compensate for the continously drop of subs. So their best bet is to try to hold the attention of long-time players who are to afraid to leave all their progress behind who have been having playing for so long. The problem is that even these players are starting to burn out badly, which is mostly to blame for poor game design.

12 years old game is not as popular as it was, more news at 11.

Shocking...the new Generation isn't really interested in a game that's as old as they are.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Deleted
    ...and yet there was just a movie out.

Deleted
    OP reminds me of a sad grandpa who wants to talk his grandkids into playing pong...but actually they got a brand new amiga at home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dahorst View Post
    Younger people...TV....quite the marketing genuis.
    Yeah, they should advertise in NEWSPAPERS.

The thing is, people might try a game because of an ad but don't most people play what's current with their friends and social circle? Not just today's youth but kids of almost any generation try stuff that's liked by their peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    TV and new generation ?

OP is old and clueless...
    Gotta advertise in front of some Youtuber's cringe Minecraft let's play.