Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    Oddly enough, it's not ever quest. While normally, I'd think it'd be obvious that "go talk to this guy" quests don't give follower exp, I've had some lengthy "kill these guys" quests not give follower exp either.
    Ah, okay, i just noticed my follower level up during the Anduin-questchain in stormwind. Thanks for clarification.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Sorry..confused here. Why do people who played the game the entire time need catch up mechanisms?
    One Word.

ALTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndor View Post
    No MMORPG games should not have any catch up mechanics in fist place.
    So if someone decides to start playing legion now, they will have to wait 125 days for AK 25?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    There are no xp missions, oh noes.
    Better complain and make Blizzard make the game easier then, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Better complain and make Blizzard make the game easier then, right?
    Too ez mate sorry
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Sorry..confused here. Why do people who played the game the entire time need catch up mechanisms?
    They don't it's for new players and alts

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    Which classes are those? I thought you said it's RNG? So now it's not?
    It's both

Only certain classes have armanents and the rewards on missions are random

Leveling is basically fine; takes a week or two of missions.

The problem is gearing, for the classes that can't talent into work orders for follower equipment. I have alts I leveled to 110 in the first week of the expansion who still don't have all followers epic at 850 with 2 item slots filled. And then I have alts that hit 110 last month whose followers are all epic ilvl 900 with great items in those slots.

It's not a big deal on mains, but if your alt's class is stuck with "sometimes missions return a free piece of equipment" he is screwed, no two ways about it.

Same deal with the free daily WQ versus the free weekly seal. The free daily WQ is an infinite source of order resources, which means you can slowly advance your alts without actually playing them. Now it's debatable whether that should be in the game at all-- I'm personally against it. But it's in there now, and as alts, the six classes with the weekly seal talent are screwed.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2017-04-23 at 01:09 PM.

They should just replace the borderline garbage "Followers have a chance to return with items" with the Workorder one.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Would you be happy for a catch up mechanic for followers / champions?

Obviously if you have been playing since 7.0 all your followers will likely be 900 and epic, however if you're recently 110 in 7.2 you're going to find your followers needing 200 ilvl to hit 900 (which is for the BS missions). I have a few fresh 110's (some unlucky enough not to have the follower gear cache upgrade) and thought how much better it would be if we could buy tokens that boost followers to 850. What's your opinion?
    nope. I firmly believe that if you are lazy or tired of the game and take time off from it the onus should be on you to do any catching up. the catch up mechanics in game are insanely stupid. they almost guarantee you will have lazy people take off for half the expansion wreaking havoc on raid teams and then resurfacing at the end to reap the same rewards as those who steadily worked at things.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    nope. I firmly believe that if you are lazy or tired of the game and take time off from it the onus should be on you to do any catching up. the catch up mechanics in game are insanely stupid. they almost guarantee you will have lazy people take off for half the expansion wreaking havoc on raid teams and then resurfacing at the end to reap the same rewards as those who steadily worked at things.
    So you prefer a game that deliberately puts people off from either returning or beginning? I mean it's a good idea if you're wanting a niche exclusive environment but that doesn't make a good MMO

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Actually it's not only world quests, it's for any quest (that isn't grey for you, i guess).

On topic: There is really no need for a catch up mechanism. If you want the best rewards, put in some effort (that is really not much). Not having ilvl 900 followers doesn't exclude you from any type of content.
    You clearly don't play a druid if you think it's "easy"
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    You clearly don't play a druid if you think it's "easy"
    I was shocked they fucked over a few specific classes with this... very unlike them with such generic content.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I was shocked they fucked over a few specific classes with this... very unlike them with such generic content.
    Ya it sucks having all 900 followers on my main and other 2 alts, and then my Druid is sitting here with a total of 1 follower with 900 ILvL
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Same deal with the free daily WQ versus the free weekly seal.
    It's not really "versus", there are 4 possible upgrades on that slot and each class has "randomly" 2 of them available:

- free seal
    - free 1 non-elite WQ per day (18h cd) (paladin, dk, warrior, dh, mage, lock)
    - special troop (druid, monk, shaman, dk)
    - 100 OR resource when completing a WQ (really the worst one, as if you're doing WQ, you have OR, if you aren't, it's worthless)

I wish there were at least a few more armor token missions for the classes who can't do work orders for them, such as druid. On my main I've managed to keep up, but some of my alts are still at like 780...
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    It's not really "versus", there are 4 possible upgrades on that slot and each class has "randomly" 2 of them available:
    Only the daily WQ talent is any good, and it's actually amazing on alts. But only 6 classes out of 12 can get it.

Special troop just costs more garrison resources, it's a waste. Free seal is worth 1k gold/week, which is nothing. And as you said if you're actually playing the alt and completing WQs, the extra 100 resources isn't a big deal.

It really does substantially disadvantage alts who can't get that talent. And the proper fix, the fix I would actually prefer, is to remove the daily WQ talent from the game. Then I wouldn't feel obligated to log-in those 6 alts every single day-- I would only play them when I actually want to.

@Vajarra: I go the opposite route when it comes down to follower item work orders vs. "sometimes you get a free one". IMO, everybody should get the work order talent baseline as it is essential to building up your followers in a reasonable amount of time on alts. The work order talent should be replaced with "sometimes your missions return a free artifact power token" or "sometimes your missions refund the resources you spent on them".

Barring that, I agree that the missions for follower items should reward, like, 3 of them per mission. Help the druids/etc out. Alternatively make them more common, cost only 50 resources, but reward only half the XP of other missions. (So everybody doesn't just use them to level.)
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2017-04-24 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygnome View Post
    Equipping followers and levelling them iis quite trivial, so no. I recently levelled an alt and the followers are already epic and most at 900, all within less then two weeks. Thats more then fast enouggh in my book.
    Let me guess, this is a class that has work orders for equipment?

If so, yes, it's easy.

My shaman and hunter hit 110 about the same time. Hunter? All followers easily geared to 900, including inactive ones. Shaman? Not even close. I have 3 up to 900, and two more around 850. And this is after several months.

For classes without work orders, there's no reliable way to gear followers- you're stuck at the RNG of missions for items spawning. My druid was one of the first to hit 110, and I still don't have all the followers geared out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    This game isn't about your friends, though. This game is about taking it seriously enough that you do the hardest content no matter what it takes (transferring, etc), lasting friendships and other elements be damned. /s

Would you be happy for a catch up mechanic for followers / champions?

Obviously if you have been playing since 7.0 all your followers will likely be 900 and epic, however if you're recently 110 in 7.2 you're going to find your followers needing 200 ilvl to hit 900 (which is for the BS missions). I have a few fresh 110's (some unlucky enough not to have the follower gear cache upgrade) and thought how much better it would be if we could buy tokens that boost followers to 850. What's your opinion?
    We don't need another catchup mechanic, heres a catchup mechanic for you. Play the game, you'll catchup just fine.

So you prefer a game that deliberately puts people off from either returning or beginning? I mean it's a good idea if you're wanting a niche exclusive environment but that doesn't make a good MMO
    I think that effor should be rewarded. In everything. Even my MMO's. When effort is rewarded you get more people putting in effort and more things getting done. When you reward laziness the opposite is true. I gain no joy from having to weed out all the lazys.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    When effort is rewarded you get more people putting in effort
    Or you make them quit, either or. Funnily in half the threads where people claim for example mythic raiders deserve the best rewards because they put the most effort, immediately some people spring out with "hurr durr you deserve nothing you elitist pricks", there is next to zero notion better rewards would make them step up and do mythic raiding instead there is plenty of notion "hey you guys up there we deserve a piece of the pie too", so I don't know why this would be any different in any other aspects like levelling, rep grinding, gearing followers etc.

Look at flying discussions, how many voices rise "cba, I just unsub if I can't simply buy flying" or have some work around to get the rep easy.

Policy of stick instead of carrot works if the person can't simply walk away. You can whip a slave, you can force an employee to work harder if he knows he can't easily find a different job due to high unemployment rates or his qualifications being not very much sought after. But you can't "force" people to do stuff in a game because they always have an option to not play that game and do something else in their free time they find more fun and bigger pleasure.

It's hilarious when all the armchair devs think "just do this Blizz to force people do be more social, step up to the challenge, put more effort, form longstanding bonds and communities" etc. etc. completely forgetting WOW is not a big jizz anymore and has a lot of competition from games that don't require long term dedication to stay relevant like shooters or mobas.

WOW has already troubles attracting new players, not only due to age of the game, engine and graphics, but due to the fact game so old accumulated so much insider knowledge it feels daunting to break into the "inner circle", the community itself isn't very welcoming (typical answers for any question include "wowhead it" and "google it" if not blatant trolling and insulting) and now you'd like the game systems to be inherently newbie unfriendly as well to the point "sorry bro, you started the game late you're always 12 years behind".