Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I do not give a shit.

I have olive skin, it does not bother me if anyone said that, nor anyone else I know with olive skin.
    First of all olive is an actual colour so when someone says you have olive skin they are referring to green and golden undertones of your tanned skin. Thus, it is a false equivalency to compare olive skin to chocolate skin. The latter condescendingly refers to a food item that is sweet and is obviously a dark brown colour. It is inherently racist and even sexist which is why Bill O'riley was under fire for calling a black woman hot chocolate just last week.

Are people of colour less than Human beings that they must be reduced to a food stuff? Is that what you're saying? Does everyone else have a right to a recognition of their experience but people of colour must just forget it and move on. Is that what you guys are really saying?
    There is a huge amount complicity in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    So racism isn't offensive is what you're saying?
    What is 'racist' about that phrase?

Deleted
    This is outrageous, i hope he is banned from ever playing in the WTA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Are you a person of colour? You don't get to decide what people of colour deem racist. When racism is the topic of discussion white people should just listen.
    No, I just realize there are pretty standard definitions of racism that apply to anyone, and don't get changed just because the speaker has a certain skin color.

If I were white I would have the same validity to this definition as were I any other color. You don't get to change the meaning of racism as you like just because of your race.

But getting back to my original point, a white person describing someone's skin colour as chocolate is racist because it reduces someone's racial identity to a sugary snack. Now please listen to what we are telling you.
    Fortunately you don't represent any "people of colour" (hint: almost every human has color). So you don't get to define what is racism to black people, for instance. You aren't representative of all black people and their experiences. But while we're at it, why are you reducing someone's racial identity to a color? Seems a bit hypocritical...
    Last edited by Kraenen; 2017-04-24 at 02:27 PM.

Really really arrogant to act like you understand what is or is not racism towards black individuals.
    I was unaware ONLY black folks are the victims of racism..

Of course the majority of this forum doesn't see any problems with describing a biracial baby as a "chocolate" baby.

I don't know what is more offensive this or Bill O'Riley's 'Hot chocolate' sexual harassment comment.
    Probably since there can be problematic or cringey comments which aren't racist, but refer to race. I know this is hard for you to wrap your mind around, just give it some effort.

First of all olive is an actual colour so when someone says you have olive skin they are referring to green and golden undertones of your tanned skin. Thus, it is a false equivalency to compare olive skin to chocolate skin..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_(color)

Jesus fuck, the thread subject had me worried it was Simona Halep. Romanian dude tenniser... who cares.

Simona though <3 <3 <3 that's waifu.

- - - Updated - - -

Wassup milky?
    How's it goin yellow cake?

How do you feel about these statements?

I'm pretty sure most people would rather not be referred to as the food that their skin color best represents.
    Those are good foods though. so it's all good.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all olive is an actual colour so when someone says you have olive skin they are referring to green and golden undertones of your tanned skin. Thus, it is a false equivalency to compare olive skin to chocolate skin. The latter condescendingly refers to a food item that is sweet and is obviously a dark brown colour. It is inherently racist and even sexist which is why Bill O'riley was under fire for calling a black woman hot chocolate just last week.
    Choc·o·late
    ˈCHäk(ə)lət/
    noun
    noun: chocolate

- a food preparation in the form of a paste or solid block made from roasted and ground cacao seeds, typically sweetened.
    - a candy made of or covered with this.
    - hot chocolate.
    - a deep brown color.

Are people of colour less than Human beings that they must be reduced to a food stuff?
    I would not eat a coloured person. I would not eat any person. Unless using the term colloquially.

Is that what you're saying? Does everyone else have a right to a recognition of their experience but people of colour must just forget it and move on. Is that what you guys are really saying?
    There is a huge amount complicity in this thread.
    Recognition of their experience of not being food?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    This is outrageous, i hope he is banned from ever playing in the WTA!!!
    I did that joke in post #14. I demand you withdraw your comment.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    First step in an investigation then the WTA should determine the necessary level of punishment.
    What are they gonna do? he's retired so they can't suspend him, plus he's male so they probably wouldn't anyway cos sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Jswizzle View Post
    I was unaware ONLY black folks are the victims of racism..
    Black people ARE the only victims of racism against black people which is the topic of this thread. You cannot tell a raped woman how she must be feeling any more than you can tell a victim of racism what their response should be. You don't know what it is like therefore your opinion is frankly irrelevant, and that's me putting it nicely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jswizzle View Post
    "The first recorded use of chocolate as a color name in English was in 1737."

I think Shinra1/Tennisace needs to update their dictionary.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Choc·o·late
    ˈCHäk(ə)lət/
    noun
    noun: chocolate

- a food preparation in the form of a paste or solid block made from roasted and ground cacao seeds, typically sweetened.
    - a candy made of or covered with this.
    - hot chocolate.
    - a deep brown color.

I would not eat a coloured person. I would not eat any person. Unless using the term colloquially.

Recognition of their experience of not being food?

- - - Updated - - -

I did that joke in post #14. I demand you withdraw your comment.
    Never! i demand recognition for my totally original joke!

Black people ARE the only victims of racism against black people which is the topic of this thread. You cannot tell a raped woman how she must be feeling any more than you can tell a victim of racism what their response should be. You don't know what it is like therefore your opinion is frankly irrelevant, and that's me putting it nicely.
    ..... I am black

~Edit~

err sorry, I am more Chocolate than you know the actual shade of black.
    Last edited by TStreets; 2017-04-24 at 02:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    Never! i demand recognition for my totally original joke!
    I would challenge you to a duel, but I am not going to go to Southwark.

Deleted
    That's you putting it stupidly. If someone was victim of racism they can relate to other victims of racism regardless of their respective skin colors. If someone was victim of rape they can relate to other victims of rape regardless of their respective genders.

I wouldn't tell a raped woman how she should/must feel or a victim of racism how they should/must feel. Although I disagree with you on what their response should be. There can be better and worse responses to being victimized by racism or rape. For instance, therapy is one obvious response to being raped. Trying to find a constructive outlet for the emotions are another good response. Raping a man is a bad response. Judging all men as rapists is a bad response. It's really not hard to judge good and bad ways to respond to being a victim. And all this goes for the issue of racism as well. I can tell someone what is a good way to respond to racism and what is a bad way. I can't tell someone how they should feel about it. You just distort and amplify the issue in a way that is so counterproductive to the healing process. You make it worse. You suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Probably since there can be problematic or cringey comments which aren't racist, but refer to race. I know this is hard for you to wrap your mind around, just give it some effort.
    The use of the word chocolate when describing a black woman's skin especially has racist and derogatory undertones. It's almost a code word used by racist people and it is not socially acceptable hence the black lash against his comment. Hence the backlash against Bill O'Riley. Hence the backlash when Cadbury ran an ad describing Naomi campbell as a chocolate diva.

10+ Year Old Account
    The use of the word chocolate when describing a black woman's skin especially has racist and derogatory undertones. It's almost a code word used by racist people and it is not socially acceptable hence the black lash against his comment.
    "Black lash" certainly has racist undertones, so why did you just use it?

The use of the word chocolate when describing a black woman's skin especially has racist and derogatory undertones. It's almost a code word used by racist people and it is not socially acceptable hence the black lash against his comment. Hence the backlash against Bill O'Riley. Hence the backlash when Cadbury ran an ad describing Naomi campbell as a chocolate diva.
    Explain what the derogatory undertone is? That black women are sweet? I mean, racism is believing another race is inferior, explain in what way refering to a colour as chocolate is believing it to be inferior.

I mean let's be honest here, very few people are actually "black" or "white" as referred to on a colour sheet, so people often use descriptive words prior to those colours to clarify the tone. So we've got olive boy up there, I'd be pale white, my GF could be milky white. I mean, I don't actually know why I am replying to you, but whatever.