Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Decent guide for arcane?

Been trying to gear up and do decent inr aiding. I know frost is the way to go but I find the water elemental mechanic and flurry->ice lance stuff so jarring I'm not a huge fan of it. I'm fairly confident in my rotational expertise as arcane (been it awhile) but itemization confuses the hell out of me. Currently I'm 900ilvl with a high amount of master (40-50%?) and crit, 0% verse, and 15% haste. I have an 885 Horn of Valor and 890 version of that trinket that puts the void zone you stand in for a motherload of int. Also have a number of other trinkets (900 BRH laser beam trinket, 885 Nighthold Botanist trink, 890 Swarmhive, 890 int/mastery statstick with socket, etc.)

I just don't know what I should be building anymore. For legendaries I have bracers, belt, neck, boots. Really love the neck so don't really want to stop using it if I can avoid, and I do have 4p bonus. (Shoulders/gloves/pants/helm/cloak), all are heroic ilvl except helm and gloves. Helm is 880 and gloves are 915.
    Ones brain cannot co-pilot if ones mouth is on auto-pilot.

Arcane stats are less cut and dry than most specs, all of our stats can sim as the highest value depending on your other stats.

You probably have more mastery than you want, ~30% is probably ideal or less with mana legendaries. 0% versatility is not good its value goes up the more of other stats you have you might consider enchanting for it. Ideally you'd balance crit and verse but crit is more common.

You want 15-20% haste for more casts during arcane power but too much haste loses value quickly since you end up spending mana too fast. Crit is good but when you have a ton of crit and not enough versatility versatility's value goes way up.

Intellect stat sticks are usually our best trinkets. Whispers in the dark/metronome/arcanocrystal (overbudget) especially. For dps I'd use bracers+belt if I were you for legendaries, but you could go bracers+neck if you really love it. I've had best results pairing a mana legendary with a throughput legendary.

I'd check out altered time and simulationcraft. Don't take their default profile stat weights as the word of god, sim yourself.
    Last edited by Nitros14; 2017-04-23 at 03:21 AM.

I see, thanks for the tips. Wouldn't an on-use trinket still be incredibly useful to synchronize with OP/Rop during burst cycles?

I figured the best option would be the shard I have (Haste + something around 8000INt for 15 sec on one min cooldown). However I could use the horn (Vers, 2min cooldown, 7000 int but 30sec duration).

I'll see if I can't drop some of the mastery and get some more other stats. I really don't want to drop Prydaz since I lack a necklace to replace it with, but I could always craft a Vers/Crit Neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Antermosiph View Post
    I see, thanks for the tips. Wouldn't an on-use trinket still be incredibly useful to synchronize with OP/Rop during burst cycles?

I figured the best option would be the shard I have (Haste + something around 8000INt for 15 sec on one min cooldown). However I could use the horn (Vers, 2min cooldown, 7000 int but 30sec duration).

I'll see if I can't drop some of the mastery and get some more other stats. I really don't want to drop Prydaz since I lack a necklace to replace it with, but I could always craft a Vers/Crit Neck.

Not updated for 7.2.

Deleted
    Go neck and bracers

Aim for (very roughly) 8000 haste, 3000 mastery, loads of crit and versatility without dumping one for the other.

Once you get near those cap, the stats are very clumped so you can sim yourself to confirm, and grab whatever ilevel upgrade you can if it gives int.

Thanks for that guide on trinkets. However, I noticed Obelisk of the Void is not on it. I have an ilvl 895 one and unsure how it'd compare. Was going to use it + either my 885 chrono shard or stat stick (880)

Deleted
    not sure what you think your problem with arcane is but i'll share what am doing ^_^

stats/trinkets is very easy, just have to run simc with scaling on and use ingame addon called pawn

2223131 are the talents i use

rotation is very simple: ab x 4 -> dump all am charges -> barrage
    repeat until oom then evocate back up

opener:
    prepot precast ab @ 1.5sec before pull
    ab till 4 charges
    mark
    rune/apower/presence
    spam ab unless capped on missile charges
    i use my second rune charge after apower ends making sure to have 2-3 am charges depending on procs
    you then go on and burn all your mana
    evo up
    then u conserve until cooldowns are back up

i like to line up every mark cast with rune which means u have to delay rune 10sec or so after the one u cast during opener

lastly i try to line up apower with rune

anymore questions i'll try to answer

7+ Year Old Account
    I would just go to altered time and read Rue or nelthy's guides. Frosted also has sims up for top gear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Whispers View Post
    not sure what you think your problem with arcane is but i'll share what am doing ^_^

stats/trinkets is very easy, just have to run simc with scaling on and use ingame addon called pawn

2223131 are the talents i use

rotation is very simple: ab x 4 -> dump all am charges -> barrage
    repeat until oom then evocate back up

opener:
    prepot precast ab @ 1.5sec before pull
    ab till 4 charges
    mark
    rune/apower/presence
    spam ab unless capped on missile charges
    i use my second rune charge after apower ends making sure to have 2-3 am charges depending on procs
    you then go on and burn all your mana
    evo up
    then u conserve until cooldowns are back up

i like to line up every mark cast with rune which means u have to delay rune 10sec or so after the one u cast during opener

anymore questions i'll try to answer
    During AP and when RoP is up you want to burn all AM procs u get do not save them during those windows. Moreover, currently you don't want to enter conserve phase immediately after using evocation. Depending on your legendaries you can continue to burn your mana to 20~ (with Kilt) or 50% (if you don't have any mana regen legendaries).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caath View Post
    During AP and when RoP is up you want to burn all AM procs u get do not save them during those windows. Moreover, currently you don't want to enter conserve phase immediately after using evocation. Depending on your legendaries you can continue to burn your mana to 20~ (with Kilt) or 50% (if you don't have any mana regen legendaries).
    point was i dont waste a cast on rop during apower uptime

also conserve isnt about fixed percentage, it's just make sure u have enough mana to use cooldowns efficiently

basically spend your mana when it matters, used to be even more valid of a strategy with quickening

with above talent gone it's less important as in u dont get punished as much
    Last edited by mmocb94e68057c; 2017-04-24 at 07:37 PM.

Deleted
    point was i dont waste a cast on rop during apower uptime
    But you do not waste a cast if you cast AM instead of AB.

Deleted
    But you do not waste a cast if you cast AM instead of AB.
    during apower i like ab over am unless i really have to not to cap on charges.

also helps me burn below 80% to maximise mana return on mark trait

Deleted
    during apower i like ab over am unless i really have to not to cap on charges.

also helps me burn below 80% to maximise mana return on mark trait
    It is not really about 'what you like more'. If you are trying to giving advice to someone you should tell him what is the best not what you like to do. By casting AB instead of AM during AP you are losing a lot of dps.

Deleted
    except u arent ^^

except u arent ^^
    +
    My highest non crit arcane blast on mythic auger hit for 1,270,000, my highest non crit arcane missiles hit for 440,000. If rule of three didn't proc (33.3% chance to fire 3 additional arcane missiles) that means 440k x 5 = 2,200,000 which is close to 1 mil more dps. You can argue i shouldn't take the max of my arcane missiles so lets do 400k instead of 440k. 400k x 5 = 2 mil which is still higher then 1,270. Keep in mind arcane missiles has a higher crit chance (12% more crit then ab) and the 33% chance to do 3 more, yeah arcane missiles is a lot better then ab atm. [ Forgot to mention arcane missles is also a faster cast then ab too ]

You should always have 3 arcane missiles available when you arcane power. This will net you the highest dps gain.

You should also always save arcane missiles when you know any sort of movement is coming (Krosus beam is easiest example)

Once you get Time and Space as a gold trait you can actually start spamming arcane explosion before the pull to build arcane missles so that you have 3 am before pull so you can have 3 am procs during rop ap.

I really hate that your saying try. You shouldn't try to have rune up when you arcane power, you always should have rop down when you arcane power or ur just losing a huge chunk of dmg. This is extremely easy to due because of 2 charges of rop.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...ge&spec=Arcane

I'm socks on that list currently 9th... was higher but we didnt have logs working this week during our clear so i dropped a bit

If people every have questions you can always hit me up on wow.
    Last edited by Sintea; 2017-04-26 at 12:11 AM.

Sintea, a question on the missles vs AB. The main reason I thought you used AB during arcane power was not due to the damage (Missles does more) but due to the fact it effectively costs no mana during the phase. You of course dump one if you hit 3 but the sheer amount of free casts of AB during it were the goal.

If this isn't the case that might be something I was doing wrong. My DPS isn't the highest (full mythic geared guild and I'm sitll in mythic EN gear), but I'm sitll figuring out the finer details for the spec.

A second question is the setup for the burst cycle. I go Mark->RoP->charged Up->Trinket -> Arcane Power -> AB, PoM -> AB right at end to squeeze one more in.

Quote Originally Posted by Antermosiph View Post

A second question is the setup for the burst cycle. I go Mark->RoP->charged Up->Trinket -> Arcane Power -> AB, PoM -> AB right at end to squeeze one more in.
    I prefer to use PoM earlier in the rotation to fish for touch of the magi proc.

MoA -> RoP -> CU -> AP -> PoM 2xAB -> AM/AB spam.

The exception is if I have 3x AM procs. Then I alternate AM/PoM ABs to avoid munching.

Deleted
    Currently the highest dps opener is:

1. Get 3 AM procs before fight from Time and Space trait.
    2. Precast MoA
    3. RoP
    4. Macro with CU, AP and Trinkets
    5. Use 1 AM cast
    6. Hard cast 1 AB
    7. Dump all remaining AM procs
    8. USE PoM to fit 2 last GCD in remaining AP - this will increase your chance of getting additional AM procs for your next RoP.

You can still use PoM with CU/AP/Trinket macro tho, it does not matter that much.

@Antermosiph
    Arcane is all about burst windows. During AP / Touch of Magi rop / RoP + MoA combo (without AP) u want to fit as much AM as u can.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently the highest dps opener is:

1. Get 3 AM procs before fight from Time and Space trait.
    2. Precast MoA
    3. RoP
    4. Macro with CU, AP and Trinkets
    5. Use 1 AM cast
    6. Hard cast 1 AB
    7. Dump all remaining AM procs
    8. USE PoM to fit 2 last GCD in remaining AP - this will increase your chance of getting additional AM procs for your next RoP.

You can still use PoM with CU/AP/Trinket macro tho, it does not matter that much.

@Antermosiph
    Arcane is all about burst windows. During AP / Touch of Magi rop / RoP + MoA combo (without AP) u want to fit as much AM as u can.
    What about with the belt? I notice MoA ticks exceptionally high when ive got like 50+ stacks on the belt. Would it be worth casting MoA after rop is down?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    What about with the belt? I notice MoA ticks exceptionally high when ive got like 50+ stacks on the belt. Would it be worth casting MoA after rop is down?
    No, it is not.Always use RoP with MoA on CD