Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Bill Nye "The Science Guy" - sexualizing science - does it make any sense?

I'm a bit confused by what Bill is trying to link here.

I am all for science and protecting the environment but wtf is going on?

Do you think this material is relevant for a show mainly about science?

Quote Originally Posted by archimonde9999 View Post
    I'm a bit confused by what Bill is trying to link here.

I am all for science and protecting the environment but wtf is going on?

Do you think this material is relevant for a show mainly about science?
    All things considered, you took a moment from an episode out of context, and displayed it...can you find the relevance in doing that...I cannot.

Deleted
    The cringe is strong with this one.
    Nye's character is that of an entertainer with a science background, not that of a scientist with a penchant for entertainment.

I couldn't even watch it. Granted he's never been known for fantastic music but this cranks up the cringe-o-meter to 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bill Nye is an idiot and not worth anyone's time.

I don't know what I just watched but I feel worse off for it.

What a lovely era we live in, watching all our childhood lose their minds and ruin their credibility.
    F

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    ... and ruin their credibility.
    Nye never had any credibility. He has a bachelors in mechanical engineering and got started on a Seattle comedy sketch show called "Almost Live."

Mark Dice weighs in...

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't finished that series but isn't one of the episodes about sex? If you don't know what I'm talking about, he has a new show on Netflix thats a version of his old show geared towards adults.

Also taking stuff out of context...

The show also isn't aimed at kids...

Or am I supposed to be triggered and outraged by this?
    Last edited by PACOX; 2017-04-25 at 04:13 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Was the purpose of that video to turn people off or something? I mean, those women are atrocious. >.<

I've yet to watch the show, but from everything I saw they made a cringily hard attempt to be "cool" and "hip". Then again, that's exactly how his original show in the 90's was, and we now look back at that pretty fondly for the most part.

Though it seems like the episode (or that segment) is discussing topics related to sex. Either way, as cringy as the bits I skipped through were it was very much in-line with the kinds of songs you'd hear on the original show. Just you know, by adults and more aimed at adults (as this show apparently is) vs. kids.

TLDR: From what I can tell in this context, yes.

I haven't watched his show yet but this seems like a shitty attempt at the cringey bullshit he used to do in his old show, just the topic was about sexual organs.

Which I know immediately, knee-jerk triggers "anti-SJWs" regardless of what is even being said.

I mean...everybody is on a sexuality spectrum. Also butt stuff IS fun. The stupid, cringey, performance basically just said, "Wherever you're at on the spectrum of sexuality, is cool. Do what you want."

SCANDAL SCANDAL SCANDAL! BILL NYE IS ESS JAY DUBYA NOW BILL NYE IS FRAUD WARNING WARNING.

Yes. It made sense. It was stupid and over the top cringey, but clearly the message they were going for wasn't hard to understand.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2017-04-25 at 04:42 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    So the question of the thread is "sexualizing science - does it make sense?" and since sex and sexuality are both sciences, then yes? Of course sex and sexuality belongs in science.

As for Bill Nye's funny cringey sketch... what does it matter? The answer is still yes, sexuality belongs in science.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post

I mean...everybody is on a sexuality spectrum. Also butt stuff IS fun. The stupid, cringey, performance basically just said, "Wherever you're at on the spectrum of sexuality, is cool. Do what you want."
    To say everyone is on a sexuality spectrum is incorrect. Bisexuality is a spectrum. but to imply everyone is a degree of Bisexuality reeks of political doublethink. Sometimes a Straight dude is just a straight dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Not exactly the person I'd trust to know who's credible and who's not.

Good message, silly performance.

I see no sexualization here

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It's not political doublethink. You're just bad at coordinate systems.
    Yes, Yes it is. Trying to say everyone is on a sexuality spectrum, then claim "Cis" people are terrible people and the LGBT crowd are sacrosanct is doublethink.

If everyone is within the LGBT spectrum, nobody is Cis.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Your posts always read like someone ran a bunch of related tags through a blender and then vomited them into the post box.

You were just talking about sexuality and now you jumped ship to complain about gender identity and some strawmans and your post in the other thread is just as much of a mess.
    I didn't at all. LGBT and Cis don't mean Gender exclusively. I'm sorry you're just so much of a stuck up Demagogue you can't understand your own rhetoric being stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Dunno... I figured he did quite well for the target audience he has.. I mean, look at who you voted in as President... ^_^