Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Game freezing periodically - not sure what it is

Ever since NH released, my game/computer has been acting up. 2 instances it always happens is on Skorp when the adds come out or on star augur right when the fight begins. It's like when there's too much happening at once, the game will freeze on me for a solid 2-4 seconds. After that initial freeze happens, it will repeat itself again every 30 minutes, if not sooner or even worse, still on the same fight, or when there's just a lot going on.. Settings are on a 6 in WoW. Specs as follows:

AMD FX-8350
    ASUS AMD 990X
    16GB DDR3 2133 Corsair Memory
    1TB SSD
    nVidia GTX 960
    1000 Watt PSU

Addon issue.

Hardware issues that cause freezing usually repeat themselves to the point of crashing.

Especially your comment "on pull" indicates usual addon problem.

Otherwise check what your event viewer is saying in Windows, any driver "recovering" at the timeline of the crash?
    Last edited by potis; 2017-04-25 at 03:10 PM.

I don't run many addons but I guess I can go through that list and disable some.

Now that I think about it too, usually when these 3-4 second freezes would happen, my music and discord would still be going through just fine in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by oAllElseFailo View Post
    I don't run many addons but I guess I can go through that list and disable some.

Now that I think about it too, usually when these 3-4 second freezes would happen, my music and discord would still be going through just fine in the background.
    Hardware cant freeze, if hardware "Freezes" it will crash to a BSOD 99% of the time.

If your SSD was acting up, your game would freeze, then freeze again, and then slow down, leading to a BSOD, seen it many times.

If its your GPU you would get a black screen probably followed by "gling gling driver recovered error" or a restart or a BSOD depending how heavily damaged the GPU is, usually "driver errors" indicates "yo bro, memory chip dying", while GPU itself problems is usually straight BSOD or pixelation first.

If its anything else it would BSOD, other components dont "freeze" when they error, they simply crash.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-04-25 at 03:20 PM.

Well you know when I say freeze i mean my game is at a stand still on whatever frame it stopped on.

The only big addon i really have is DBM though but regardless, ill still sift through them

Well you know when I say freeze i mean my game is at a stand still on whatever frame it stopped on.

The only big addon i really have is DBM though but regardless, ill still sift through them
    I know exactly what you mean, dont worry and as i said if it was hardware issue you would have aftereffects as i explained above.

Only thing you can check yourself as i said, Event Viewer in Windows for any errors that particular time frame, it might indicate if something is acting up and causing it.

Long shot, how big is your WoW folder? Your game should be around 42-43GB, if its larger you might have corrupt files (Blizzard sucks at cleaning up WoW with their patches) which can cause the mini-freeze also, i have seen many people with 60GB or even up to 100GB fixing all their WoW problems by simply re-downloading the game fresh.

Alright, I'll open it up when we raid again and see if I can find anything. Thanks for the help.

Alright, I'll open it up when we raid again and see if I can find anything. Thanks for the help.
    ^ check again, was editing.

i can recommend a clean reinstall of wow + addons. Most of the time its some weird stuff with corrupt files if it always happens is in specific situations.if it was a hardware error, u would get an full shutdown or at least black / blue screen.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    ^ check again, was editing.
    Oh, I'll have to check that when I get home. Does re-downloading the game wipe the addons and settings in each addon?

Oh, I'll have to check that when I get home. Does re-downloading the game wipe the addons and settings in each addon?
    Yes it does wipe your addons/settings.To keep them you'll just need to backup your Addons/Interface folder and your WTF folder and replace them after the game has redownloaded. IE just copy them to your desktop, and after you've redownloaded the game replace the new folders with the old.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Long shot, how big is your WoW folder? Your game should be around 42-43GB, if its larger you might have corrupt files (Blizzard sucks at cleaning up WoW with their patches) which can cause the mini-freeze also, i have seen many people with 60GB or even up to 100GB fixing all their WoW problems by simply re-downloading the game fresh.
    So my WoW folder is sitting at 51gb. You think that's still a good reason to do a fresh install? I double checked my addons, took out ones I don't use but the problem does still persist. Just last night it was bad, it was like a solid 10-15 seconds still frame, yet discord and everything else was coming through just fine.

So my WoW folder is sitting at 51gb. You think that's still a good reason to do a fresh install? I double checked my addons, took out ones I don't use but the problem does still persist. Just last night it was bad, it was like a solid 10-15 seconds still frame, yet discord and everything else was coming through just fine.
    That's larger than the 42-43 is should be, so I would say yes, re-install.

To be sure I would suggest disabling all of your addons, heading into your raid, or LFR and trying to see if the issue persists before doing a full reinstall. You mention that you don't have addons, then you mention the only heavy addon you have is DBM, then you mention checking all of your addons...so clearly there's a disconnect with what addons you have.

Disable them all, try wow. If the issue is gone, you know it's an addon issue. Which addon becomes more difficult, as you'll need to enable them one by one and try them through your scenario.

To clarify the addon part - i was saying I don't run many. Probably like 4 or 5. DBM is what I assume to be the largest one there, unless WA pulls ahead of it.

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    - ALL settings at 1 for raiding. You can keep strictly graphical stuff to max, like texture res/filtering. You will also need Projected Textures and Particle Density to Fair to see boss abilities and your own spells.You can use some antialiasing, don't try too hard on it, 2xMSAA at most.
    - Fullscreen, not Windowed. Vsync off. Use FPS limiter instead.
    - Hardware Mouse Off might help. It didn't help me.
    - the CPU should be running at max turbo speed, or better, overclocked. The 8350 should stay at below 60C or it will start to throttle, and you'll feel it in the game. You need an aftermarket cooler for it, without doubt. This means you will have to make sure the CPU is not using a power plan that's conservative (like balanced/power saving), but instead it should be unparked and at 4.1-4.2 GHz all the time. Again, overclocking further is better and it will gain you FPS.
    I'll try this before I do a fresh install. But like you mentioned those specific bosses, mine has definitely happened on Augur, usually always on the pull when everyone starts opening up. For me it's pretty bad seeing as how I'm the tank, I can't really afford a now 10-15 second freeze like last night..

I'll take note of going to intel in the future. Does AMD just suck with WoW?

To clarify the addon part - i was saying I don't run many. Probably like 4 or 5. DBM is what I assume to be the largest one there, unless WA pulls ahead of it.

I'll try this before I do a fresh install. But like you mentioned those specific bosses, mine has definitely happened on Augur, usually always on the pull when everyone starts opening up. For me it's pretty bad seeing as how I'm the tank, I can't really afford a now 10-15 second freeze like last night..

I'll take note of going to intel in the future. Does AMD just suck with WoW?
    The FX series specifically. The new Ryzens are not as bad, though they do still lag behind a bit. However, if your freezes are 10-15 seconds, that's not your problem. You should not freeze for that long even with an FX chip. You definitely have something else going on. Also, the advice propsed is pretty wrong on many levels. Realistically, if your GPU can handle it, there will not be much of a difference between 1 and 10, except on a few select settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    The FX series specifically. The new Ryzens are not as bad, though they do still lag behind a bit. However, if your freezes are 10-15 seconds, that's not your problem. You should not freeze for that long even with an FX chip. You definitely have something else going on. Also, the advice propsed is pretty wrong on many levels. Realistically, if your GPU can handle it, there will not be much of a difference between 1 and 10, except on a few select settings.
    Honestly that 10-15 second window is new that just happened last night. It's usually consistently just a couple seconds. But it's really annoying to deal with. And I hope that 10-15 second doesn't become the new norm for me.. So maybe I should just try the fresh install first.

Honestly that 10-15 second window is new that just happened last night. It's usually consistently just a couple seconds. But it's really annoying to deal with. And I hope that 10-15 second doesn't become the new norm for me.. So maybe I should just try the fresh install first.
    Even a couple seconds seems wrong to me. Stuttering, or "freezes" for a second or less I could see, but nothing that would really be described as a complete freeze, just a slideshow and sub-30 FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Even a couple seconds seems wrong to me. Stuttering, or "freezes" for a second or less I could see, but nothing that would really be described as a complete freeze, just a slideshow and sub-30 FPS.
    Yep this is full on stopping on one frame for those couple of seconds. But like I've said prior, discord still comes in fine, music is still playing, just WoW takes a dump :\