Building a PC, Recommendations request

Budget - 1200$ (Possibly more if I sell old PC after building new and transferring data.)
    Resolution - 1080p (I think that is? THe pretty standard resolution. Maybe ability to upgrade at a later date)
    Games / Settings Desired - Higher end settings. Mostly blizzard products but many RPGs/MMOs.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) - Drawing (tablet based), Streaming
    Country - US
    Parts that can be reused - None
    Do you need an OS? - Yes
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? - No
    Other note: Heavy space usage, minimum 2TB needed on HDD.

Sorry for the new thread after another, but the other one didn't seem relevant to this topic. I have the option of a motherboard https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...II-HERO-ALPHA/ at a significant discount if need be, but given the budget it seems a bit low end.
    Ones brain cannot co-pilot if ones mouth is on auto-pilot.

Probably what I'd consider in your price bracket, if you don't want to overclock you could scrap the Noctua cooler and go for stock/budget cooler and obviously not the K version of the CPU. (saving of around $100) Should demolish WoW and pretty much anything at 1080p/60fps for the forseeable future. Could save an additional $50 on an OEM windows key from reddit/ebay with very minimal risk.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BWxgm8
    Last edited by Atreyes; 2017-04-23 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atreyes View Post
    Probably what I'd consider in your price bracket, if you don't want to overclock you could scrap the Noctua cooler and go for stock/budget cooler and obviously not the K version of the CPU. (saving of around $100) Should demolish WoW and pretty much anything at 1080p/60fps for the forseeable future. Could save an additional $50 on an OEM windows key from reddit/ebay with very minimal risk.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BWxgm8
    Thanks a ton for the advice, I have a few friends I'm sending that build to and they agree its very good. One friend told me to upgrade the PSU to a silver with a wattage to allow a second videocard at a later date to keep up in the future without a full upgrade. Opinion on that?

Off topic, discovered I have https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817139010 in my old PC. Might I be able to use that one still?
    Last edited by Antermosiph; 2017-04-23 at 03:47 AM.

Don't worry about a second GPU. Really. The last few builds I've done for myself I've counted on a second GPU to enhance my performance when one no longer did well enough on its own... each of the three times I tried was a nightmare as far as compatibility, drivers randomly shutting off SLI/Crossfire, strange stuttering, and games either not gaining much from the greatly increased heat / power draw or flat out not gaining anything. Every single time I've rediscovered that it's more effective to just get the best single GPU you can afford and then upgrade it to the new best single GPU you can afford later on, to the point I don't even care about SLI/Crossfire capabilities of my motherboards anymore. Even if you do SLI/Crossfire later to increase performance, you're paying a price (literally) by spending more money on old, less efficient GPUs with ancient feature support and increasingly barren driver updates.

A better power supply is never a bad decision. Not that the unit in that build is bad, per se, but I prefer the single component responsible for the health and safety of every other component, the part that converts deadly levels of wall current into something usable by precision electronics, to be as high quality as reasonably possible for the build. I like the higher-end Seasonic units myself.
    Last edited by Nellah; 2017-04-23 at 04:02 AM.
    Super casual.

That one I have in old PC I can salvage. I also plan to use old HDD and SSD alongside new for extra space (And put WoW on old SSD). I wish I could salvage the case but I lost all its side components when I moved and its pretty beaten (Moved 4 times). Can also salvage CD drive. I don't have a really good monitor yet but hope to one day upgrade to a 2560x1080.

I really dont recommend even looking towards i5s if you plan on streaming anything. Either get an i7, Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 1700 with overclocking (assuming you are know how to do it).

If building from scratch:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($218.98 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($108.29 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($112.33 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: SK hynix SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($80.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($374.00 @ Amazon)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Other: Windows 10 @ Kinguin.net ($37.00)
    Total: $1249.96
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-23 11:00 EDT-0400

You dont really want to save on anything here, but if it's too much over your budget I'd advice to skip buying a cooler, use a stock one for a while and wait until more AM4 coolers become available.

Using your friend's mobo:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($338.34 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.88 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($102.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: SK hynix SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($80.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($374.00 @ Amazon)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Other: Windows 10 @ Kinguin.net ($37.00)
    Total: $1199.07
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-23 11:09 EDT-0400

I assume you're are that you need to upgrade BIOS first, so make sure you borrow a Skylake processor somewhere (Celeron or Pentium will do aswell).
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    I'd go with a similar Ryzen 5 setup, just need to be more picky with what ram sticks you buy. Between the 1600 and 1600X i would say depends on you, how much you want to get involved into overclocking, if at all.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($248.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($158.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.88 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($66.89 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1259.11
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-25 02:33 EDT-0400

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.99 @ Amazon)
    It's the same performance as Wraith Spire and you have to get an AM4 kit for it, what's the point?
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Intel is the better choice here in every aspect. And asus apparently lets you flash the bios on an empty mobo.
    To clarify, any ASUS motherboard with "USB BIOS Flashback" allows this. Not all have that (though OP's motherboard does.)

Clarifying for anyone coming in with a different motherboard doing research.
    Super casual.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    It's the same performance as Wraith Spire and you have to get an AM4 kit for it, what's the point?
    Ryzen 5 1600X doesn't come with a cooler?

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Ryzen 5 1600X doesn't come with a cooler?
    Dont buy a 1600X, and get a 1600 which does?

Quote Originally Posted by Antermosiph View Post
    Thanks a ton for the advice, I have a few friends I'm sending that build to and they agree its very good. One friend told me to upgrade the PSU to a silver with a wattage to allow a second videocard at a later date to keep up in the future without a full upgrade. Opinion on that?

Off topic, discovered I have https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817139010 in my old PC. Might I be able to use that one still?
    By the time you would want a second GPU, you'd be better off selling what you have and getting a new single card solution than adding a couple year old GPU for a little more power. nVidia is already starting to drop support for SLI on lower end cards anyway, it's always finnicky and won't work on some games and no signs of it getting any better anytime soon. It's really not a great idea to plan for.